Installation OMV 4.1.12 on Odroid XU4 - some questions

• I just installed OMV4 (from sourceforge.net via etcher) on my new Odroid XU4, everything works out of the box, but there are some questions remaining.

- As as system drive there is 16 GB on eMMC-Flash. I was used that OMV installation takes the complete partition, but on the present 16 GB eMMC-flash, only 8 GB are used with btrfs (and 60 MB ext4). Where is the remaining memory, any chance to activate this?

- omv-extras (4.1.11) still seems to be installed. Also openmediavault-flashmemory 4.1. But it is unclear whether this plugin is activated. Do I have to modify the fstab or is this still modified in this installation? In fstab there is no UUID for the swap partition.
    Is there no swap-file due to the direct odroid-installation or due to btrfs?

My intention was to run also pi-hole and ioBroker on the Odroid aside with OMV (which works perfectly in a testing VM-environment).
    Therefore I would appreciate to have the complete flash memory in one partition (ext4 or btrfs).

Does it make sense to stay on this installation with 8 GB btrfs or would it be the better way, firstly to install a plain Debian (on one partition) and then add OMV and the other applications.

Any hints or recommendations highly appreciated.
    Thanks

• Where is the remaining memory, any chance to activate this?

Isn't this answered by the readme on the download page?

Is there no swap-file due to the direct odroid-installation or due to btrfs?

There is no swap on storage since this is a really bad idea on SD cards or eMMC. We use zram instead.

Does it make sense to stay on this installation with 8 GB btrfs or would it be the better way, firstly to install a plain Debian (on one partition) and then add OMV and the other applications

This way you end up with a really slow NAS later since all the performance tweaks are missing. If you want to use the whole 16 GB of your installation media either delete the last partition and then resize the 2nd partition or maybe use symlinks. BTW: We use transparent file compression with btrfs so most probably on the 8 GB partition fits more data compared to the full 16 GB with ext4.

• I have similar situation and as a noob it is not clear for myself how to expand it. I have to partitions on my sdcard (32GB maybe to overkill but I want to put homeassistant, pihole and a few more stuff).
    On my Odroid HC2 with 4TB hdd:

/dev/mmcblkp1 ext4 about 58MB
    /dev/mmcblkp2 btrfs about 8GB

/dev/sda1 my HDD

So how to expand /dev/mmcblkp2 ? click on it but I can not do nothing as it is grayed. I can expand/resize sda1. Any help appreciate, just starting my DIY NAS journey so have mercy to my brain please? ;)

• I have similar situation and as a noob it is not clear for myself how to expand it

Just to be clear: In the past the OS partition on the ARM images was 4 GB in size (to allow to use the remaining space as an own data partition which is otherwise impossible). In 2017 we started to increase this to 8 GB not since the software would need it but to easily spot users who still use dog slow and old 4 GB SD cards.

You most probably will be pretty fine with those 8 GB even if you install loads of other software. Only known exception: using Plex Media Server and storing its index database also on the OS partition (which is just the default and can be changed even within the UI. Having ever growing databases on an own partition is usually a smart move since they can not entirely fill the rootfs which will result in your installation not working any more).

The question how to create a filesystem on the 3rd partition is answered by the readme at the download page and the question how to expand the rootfs partition is one frequently asked and also answered: https://www.google.com/search?…Aforum.openmediavault.org

• Thanks,
    the second answer supports the first and now I understand the readme.txt.
    So it is 8 GB for system (in btrfs) and everything elsa is free? Correct?

My output of fdisk -l is:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.6 GiB, 15634268160 bytes, 30535680 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x01bb5fb4

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 8192 139263 131072 64M 83 Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p2 139264 15500000 15360737 7.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/mmcblk0p3 15500001 30230303 14730303 7G 83 Linux

Can I just enter "mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk0p3" in the shell to get the remaining space usable?
    I am a little bit surprised that this is not possible/visible on the GUI of OMV, as I was used to in the past.

If 8 GB is enough for the system and some additional software, I'll use the rest as a shared folder for data exchange.
    The basic idea was to use OMV headless and diskless, but this makes it easier with data exchange.

Any sideeffect with btrfs on only 8GB, compared to ext4?
    Up to know I have no experience with this file system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are side effects from writing a lot to the SD card. It wears out and fail. For instance if you use it for data storage/share that you update.

OMV can safely be run from a SD card for a long time only because writes to the card has been significantly reduced.

I would recommend that you reconsider using the SD card for shares or anything that significantly increase writes to it. Don't do it! Not if you value your card and/or your data.

I use 16GB and 32 GB Sandisk A1 cards in my HC2s and I don't use the cards for anything but the plain default OMV install. No extra data or partitions or even resized partitions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One option could be to first install Armbian and then install OMV on Armbian.

Doing this you can move the root filesystem to the HDD before you install OMV. Armbian has functionality for that. I did this on one HC2 with a big SSD drive, but I didn't then install OMV on that HC2, so I don't know if there are other problems. /boot still is on the SD card but the rest of the root filesystem is in sda1 on the SSD.

Perhaps there are other problems with the root filesystem on the data disk? The HDD never spinning down or performance, perhaps? Difficult to install OMV? HC2 being headless might complicate the process, but it should be a very good learning experience...

• There are side effects from writing a lot to the SD card. It wears out and fail. For instance if you use it for data storage/share that you update.

I learned the worn out of flash disk the hard way.
    Ok.,hard for the USB-stick even as SLC memory, for me one more installation.

With the flash-memory plugin everything is fine, and current installation on the XU4 activates this automatically (was not directly clear to me).

But now I am using eMMC-Flash with the XU4,
    I have no idea wheather this is more reliable than standard SD-card, the idea was that it is faster.

• Ok I just do not expand it I made third partition (good 22GB) by mkfs.btrfs /dev/mmcblk1p3, format it btrfs. I am reluctant to use it however due to those wear problems. Or maybe I will put only plex on it, I will see. Anyway thanks for help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!