Boot Drive Backup

• Hi all,

Just want to sanity check my backup strategy. I boot OMV 4 from a 16gb Sandisk flash drive that is connected to the internal USB port of my gen 8 HP microserver (yes, I do have the flash plugin enabled).

I'm thinking of using something like Clonezilla/Win32DiskImager to create backups of this flash drive (which will be stored offline) so I can image a new flash drive quickly in the event of this one failing. The only thing I'm worried about is downtime while I power down the server, remove the flash drive and create an image of it.

Is there a good alternative that I've missed?

Thanks,
    Tristam

• Offizieller Beitrag

Let me do some digging to see what the process is for restoring backups. There was some reason why I was worried about this option.

How to restore from an omv-backup?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use partclone to make backup disk images of MBR, /boot and / on SD-cards. Works fine. Pretty fast as well. If you have a fast USB3 stick then I imagine it would take less than a minute.

The nice thing about partclone is that it knows about the filesystems and only have to copy actually used parts of the partitions, instead of the whole drive. So that means that partclone may be faster than full-drive cloning.

One way to handle this even faster could be to have two identical sticks. And after you have updated the root filesystem you can shut down and swap sticks and immediately reboot. Then you can backup the updated stick and either also update the root filesystem on the running stick or swap again and update the offline stick by restoring the new backed up disk images.

See: New to OMV and Linux

• Offizieller Beitrag

The nice thing about partclone is that it knows about the filesystems and only have to copy actually used parts of the partitions, instead of the whole drive. So that means that partclone may be faster than full-drive cloning.

fsarchiver does this as well and the backup plugin has an fsarchiver option. I didn't include partclone in the plugin because the partition needs to be unmounted (or so I thought).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I use the OMV Backuper with fsarchiver option and I've tested restoration. Pretty straight forward, but you either have to have a SystemRecoveryCD live CD/USB or have the OMV Extras with SystemRecoveryCD loaded and set for next boot. At the moment, I have the extras, so if I lose my disk, I'll have to replace and do an initial OMV install just to get the SystemRecoveryCD. Since I'm only concerned with the system partition and not any of the other partitions, this works nicely and the quick install will set up all of the other partitions for me (as far as I can tell). I wrote myself a bit of a cheat sheet if I ever have to recover:

The OMV Backupper plugin provides the option of backing up using a .fsa or fsarchiver type file.To recover from a previous backup:

• Boot into SystemRecoveryCD from backend kernels (under OMV Extras)
    • At the CLI (GUI can be helpful but not necessary), type fdisk -l and determine:

• Disk with backups
      • System partition
    • Mount the disk with backups by typing mount /dev/[device such as sdd1] /mnt/backup
    • Navigate /mnt/backup and locate the file name and file path of the .fsa file to use.
    • Restore by typing fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/[filename and path to .fsa] id=0,dest=/dev/[system partition such as sda1]
    • Reboot

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!