Reinstall OMV 4 on new/same SSD without data loss... ? OMV 4.x

• Hi, I'm new in the forum, I have a question because I don't know so much about Debian...
    If I have installed OMV4 on a SSD on Sata-1 and I have other 2 or 3 hard disk on others sata channel but with over them only data folder...

If I unmount all the mechanical hard disk and than turn of the nas. If I fisically disconnect the hard drives from the nas and I reinstall a fresh OMV4 on the same SSD (or a new one).

Than if I connect the old mechanichal drives... Can I mount them and FIND the Folders without data loss.... Or I need to format all drive that I connect to a new OMV installation?

Many thanks.
    Edit: Sorry OMV 4.x

• Welcome!

OMV has a strict seperation between system disk (your SSD on Sata-1) and data disks (on other SATA's).

Therefore you install on the system SSD. After this shutdown, connect, reboot and just mount the data-disks in the WEB-GUI.
    Maybe you have to define sharefolders and CIFS aso manually to access them, but datas are present.

To erase data you explicitely have to format (of course Dont do this!).

Years ago I had a broken flash-stick which forces me to reinstall. After attaching the data drives, everthing was where it was before.

Nevertheless a backup is always mandatory.

• Many thanks, so if I think ssd only for system and hard disk only for data I can mount and unmount, disconnect, ecc... data disk (EXT4) and than move them for exemple un another OMV Nas? Like you say I could think yes. Could be nice. :)

Please another question: if I want to move, copy one folder from one har disk to another... Can I do it from the webgui? Or can I do it with a OMV plugin ecc... Many thanks.. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please another question: if I want to move, copy one folder from one har disk to another... Can I do it from the webgui?

Not from the WebGUI. The fastest way to move large data is to SSH to the server and move the files using Linux commands or midnight commander (mc).
    To SSH into your server you can use Putty on Windows or a terminal on linux or /iOS. You can also use the shellinabox plugin from OMV and use your browser.

You can also do it on client side (SAMBA, FileZilla, WinSCP etc.) but that involves uploading the data to the client and downloading again to the server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes.
    But note, that your OMV will complain if a data drive is missing.
    If you want to remove a drive permanently you would have to delete all shares (only shares, not content) and unmount the drive.
    EDIT: you have to do this in the GUI of OMV as otherwise OMV is not aware of it

• Yes, for sure... for remove a drive normally I unshare all shared folder, remove every connection to the folders than unmount, turn off and disconnect.... Thank you so much.

Excuse me, but I understand that you know all... so :) .... If for exemple I start with system on a 64 Gb ssd and the data on 6TB WD Red Normal... Not raid. After one week if I get another 6TB Red same kind, firmware ecc...

Can I make a Raid Mirror? Or I need to START with a Raid?

And is it possible to move a Raid of 2 drives to another OVM NAS? If yes I think with OMV you can do whatever you want: start cheap, upgrade, add disk, add raid ecc.... very intresting. :)
    Overall many thanks to you. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Question would be, why you want to have a RAID? RAID is about availability and you probably don't need availability.

You could run a rsync job to mirror the data.
    I use rsnapshot plugin. Using rsnapshot you get snapshots on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly basis. So you can go back in time. If you have deleted a file by accident or a file gets corrupted you will still find a previous version of that file.

EDIT: search the forum for "RAID is not backup" (including the quotes)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I make a Raid Mirror? Or I need to START with a Raid?

You need to start with a Mirror. You cannot convert.

And is it possible to move a Raid of 2 drives to another OVM NAS?

Yes, that can be done.

If you want to increase the capacity you can use the unionfilesystems plugin. I makes it possible to mount different filesystems under a single mountpoint. So you have for example two drives, but they will behave like one. If that sound interesting, search for "mergerfs" with a search engine of your choice..

• Hello, I needed to install OMV5 again due to some minor issues.

My thought was that I will only reinstall it on the main HDD an this drive will deleted of course. It's the drive with 465GB

All other 3 HDD´s will be untouched and I can mount and release them as usual.

But the 3 HDD´s are shown up under devices and can't be added on the filesystems without wiping the data from them.. can anyone let me know the trick how I can add the drives again?

All drives were formatted in EXT4 at the very first beginning on the old OMV5

Intel Core i3-3220 @3.30 Ghz

16GB DDR3 RAM

OMV 5.6.24.0 (456GB HDD)

1x 1TB

2x 2TB

• Hi, is it really about OMV5, your signature says OMV 3.0.94 is used. Note: this version is long obsolete!

I'd suggest to update signature and to start a new thread, maybe even in German language :)

As OMV requires only about 8GB for running I'd use a USB stick for reinstallation

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hey mi-hol,

Thats my current configuration:

16GB DDR3 RAM

OMV 5.6.0.0

I thought it would be a Good idea to continue this thread as i saw the Same issue.

:)

I will Open a new thread.

—-UPDATE:

Created a new thread in german

Thanks

16GB DDR3 RAM

OMV 5.6.24.0 (456GB HDD)

1x 1TB

2x 2TB

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Zeb Aztian ()

• I thought it would be a Good idea to continue this thread as i saw the Same issue.

original title of thread is about OMV4, but your issue is on OMV5!

therefore starting with a misleading subjects is never advisable,

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!