Hardware suggestions, eventually use of spare parts

• Hello everyone,

I am new to OMV and I want to switch to an DIYnas, coming from a QNAP nas.
    The case and the hardware should house 8+ harddrives for network shares with 8+ computers and 12+ members and should be powerful enough for 1080p+ video transcoding to one tv.

Not quite sure if I should buy new stuff or reuse old spare parts. Here is a quick listing of... capable spare parts of mine:
    AMD Ryzen 3 1200 but no mainboard for it right now
    Intel Core i5 3330 with Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Intel Core i5 3570k with Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    32GB DDR4 RAM and loads of DDR3 RAM, 1333+ MHz
    No HBA or Raid card and no network card
    450-650w 80+ gold power supplies
    no case (yet)

Does anyone see a good combination, maybe with the ryzen 3? Or should I buy brandnew?

Is the chipset integrated sata controller "enough" for a software raid or better buy a hba controller (and which one)?
    Is it possible to span software raid between onboard controller and pcie hba?

That is a lot of... questions. I know that these questions have already been answered somewhere sometime but I can't find the answers so I have to ask again... sorry for the inconvenience. I hope that you guys can help me out.

Kind regards

Palulukas

• Those are spare parts? :D

Any and all of those will do. No need for that much RAM, I'm running half and it's a waste, but it was "spare parts" as well...

No need for a RAID card. I started with RAID, but it has little to no performance benefit. Look into SnapRAID and see if it'll do the job for you instead. It's less complex if a drive fails.

The Ryzen might not be that well supported under Debian, that's my only concern going with it. The Intel hardware works well, as it's properly supported, since it's not "cutting edge". Also, the Ryzen wouldn't work with your RAM. I'd go with the 3330, it has more than enough horse power. I've underclocked my CPU so it uses less power and produce less heat.

Only downsides with that motherboard is 1. Full ATX, so you need a big case and 2. 4x SATA 6Gbps (two via ASMedia controller) and 4x SATA 3Gbps ports, which could slow things down a little bit. Otherwise the onboard SATA is more than good enough.

The software RAID or SnapRAID or even the OS, doesn't care which controller your drives are connected to, as long as the OS can see the drives, i.e. there are drivers for the controller. So yes, you can mix and match whichever way you want there.

Not that many cases with space for as many drives as you want, but this is one option, with space to spare https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=324&area=en
    Just make sure you get plenty of high airflow fans for it.

Power supply, no need to go crazy, since you won't be using a graphics card in your NAS, so 500W-ish should be more than plenty.

Hopefully this helps to get you started.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Hello TheLostSwede, donh,

thank you very much for your answer and your explanations.
    I already use Proxmox on an HP ProLiant Microserver G8 for network administration, dns proxy, personal cloud and other servers.
    Also thought about recplacing the qnap and the hp microserver with one machine running Proxmox again and then virtualising the nas but i don't know if that would work out well.
    Do you, donh, have experience in virtualising omv with proxmox and configuring the storage in it?

I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena. ;)

Kind regards

Palulukas

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run OMV in proxmox and it works very well. I manage the disks with zfs under proxmox. Then assign to OMV as needed. Seems to avoid issues with zfs under OMV. Snap shots are very handy too, if an update causes problem just roll it back.

ECC is a good thing but seems not as required for zfs as it once was, or so they say. I use ecc anyway.

Don't know your server but you may be able to add an hba and disk array to get more disks. They are getting cheaper as they come to the end of lease and more are available. Avoid the oldest and cheapest. They are 3GB/s and may limit disk size to 2GB. All tho over the network that's not the limit. I am thinking of upgrading my old dell md1000 when I get some cash burning a hole in my pocket. They can do larger drives with a newer hba. For zfs make sure it is an hba not a raid controller.

• I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena. ;)

Well, that's more of a maybe. The Ryzen CPU might support it, as well as the built in memory controller, but the motherboard most likely don't. I don't know of any consumer grade motherboards for Ryzen that has ECC support. Just a word of warning before splashing out cash on something that might not work.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• I also would like to use ecc ram. I don't know if the Core i5's can use it but ryzen 3 can, so... it's not out of the arena.

Those two i5 you list in the original post don't support ECC. As you note, the Ryzen does.

There are consumer AM4 motherboards that support ECC. Asrock, for example, makes quite a few.

I recommend you check specifications closely though. In some cases, ECC is only supported on specific CPUs or families, like Ryzen PRO CPUs. I've also seen cases in the past (not specifically with Ryzen) where ECC is on the memory QVL, but with a notation that it doesn't function in ECC mode (in other words, you can use ECC in the system, but won't function in ECC mode).

• Those two i5 you list in the original post don't support ECC. As you note, the Ryzen does.
    There are consumer AM4 motherboards that support ECC. Asrock, for example, makes quite a few.

I recommend you check specifications closely though. In some cases, ECC is only supported on specific CPUs or families, like Ryzen PRO CPUs. I've also seen cases in the past (not specifically with Ryzen) where ECC is on the memory QVL, but with a notation that it doesn't function in ECC mode (in other words, you can use ECC in the system, but won't function in ECC mode).

As per ASRock's website "For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs." So that Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't support ECC on their boards, or anyone else as far as I'm aware, hence my post above.

• As per ASRock's website "For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs." So that Ryzen 3 1200 doesn't support ECC on their boards, or anyone else as far as I'm aware, hence my post above.

Raven Ridge are Ryzen APUs, not all Ryzen CPUs (through, I admit this notation is very confusing... shame on you AsRock).

I am schooled yet again! Thanks for clarifying for everyone.

• Hello everyone and thank your very much for your answers.

I looked up some boards from asrock and asus. From what I can tell only the itx boads from asrock and the prime x370 pro from asus do support ecc correctly.
    itx is not what i look for but the prime x370 pro looks promising.
    Does anyone have another advice for an compatible motherboard?

In case, I choose the AMD path: I need a graphics card for the initial install and after that I can pull it out again, right? Do modern (consumer grade) motherboards support operation without a graphics card?

Kind regards

Palulukas

• Hello,

I have a Voyo V1 with an N4200 processor and thinking to utilise it as an Openmediavault server with a bunch of add-ons. It has 8GB of RAM.

Would you think it is worth the hassle? Is it powerful enough?
    Currently I'm running a build on an arm board (Odroid XU4) and it performs smoothly but I'd be better off ditching that XU4 as it's prone to overheating and it is also power hungry even at standby mode.

All recommendations welcome :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!