HC2 OpenVPN Client & Deluge

• Hi Folks.

Got an HC2 the other day, and quickly got it up and running with OMV4. 8Tb of media on 7 shares made available on a very energy efficient little device :)

Was previously using a Pi3 as a NAS device, but found the network performance far too slow. However I had been able to set it up to run an OpenVPN client connection and run Deluge daemon.

Now I would like to replicate this on the HC2. I understand this is best done through Docker which I have never used.
    I have downloaded giggio/openvpn-arm and lsioarmhf/deluge
    The plan would be to have OpenVPN running first with PIA (Private Internet Access) then have Deluge connect through OpenVPN. I would want to connect to the Deluge daemon from several workstations.

I've never used Docker, but reviewed several Youtube videos where TechnoDad sets up a non-arm version. The arm OpenVPN docker doesn't have the same variables to configure, so I'm totally stuck.

Has anyone here ever set up an HC1 or HC2 to run Deluge behind a VPN in addition to serving SMB shares? If so, I'd love a walkthrough or some tips to set me on the right track!
    Cheers.

• Yes, I could go the Socks5 route, but I've always preferred encryption.
    I could also set up the Pi again, and have it handle all downloading, saving to a network share provided by the HC2. But it seems a bit redundant. If the HC2 can handle it, then why not have it do everything?

What makes setting up OpenVPN client on the HC2 difficult?
    Are there any guides specific to the giggio/openvpn-arm package I could work through? Part of my issue is knowing nothing about Docker.

For now I'll experiment with Docker / Deluge on Socks5, but would like that only to be a temporary measure.
    Thanks!

• You can force encryption within Deluge.

Wouldn't that slow down the transfers if every peer had to have encryption? Or are most people enabling enc these days?

Anyway I am now playing the the Deluge container. It is running, but not downloading. I think the config directory is the issue as I keep getting an error on the OMV side relating to the user having write access to the directory. I'll keep fiddling and reading previous posts!

• I have never noticed any slowdown do to requiring encryption. The only possible downside could be you might have fewer peers available, but on most torrents I see very large numbers of connected peers and very high speeds.

The NUMBER ONE problem experienced with dockers, especially with new docker users, is incorrect permission/ownership on system resources the container is trying to use.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The NUMBER ONE problem experienced with dockers, especially with new docker users, is incorrect permission/ownership on system resources the container is trying to use.

Yep, part of the issue was my assigning the download folder name /download instead of /downloads. Once I correctly mapped that the test torrent appeared in the correct download folder share on the system, available to the other computers on the network.

My next challenge is to get the Thin Client do connect to the daemon. For some reason it is not seeing it on the IP address of the HC2. I used Host network, so just expected it to show up. I'm wondering if the docker container has a firewall rule associated with it or something?

• Using the thin client "doesn't just work." The ability to use it is disabled by default. You have to explicitly enable it via the web interface running on the default port 8112.

Once connected to the web interface see Preferences | Daemon | Enable Remote Connections and put a check in that box.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Using the thin client "doesn't just work." The ability to use it is disabled by default. You have to explicitly enable it via the web interface running on the default port 8112.

Once connected to the web interface see Preferences | Daemon | Enable Remote Connections and put a check in that box.

Yes, I'd already enabled it there. It seems I may need to add a username / password to the auth file in /config. The issue I'm having right now is that I am unable to log in via the web gui. Grr. The password I'm sure I have been using is not working. Other users can log in, just not admin.

I can log in to dash via ssh under another user, but don't have sudo privileges there. So it seems I can't run omv-firstaid either.

I'm at a loss as to why the admin gui password has stopped working!

• I don't know the magic numbers but after some number of failed login attempts to the GUI you will be locked out for some period of time.

You may want to add a normal user to the sudo group.

--

• After adding the username:pass:10 line to the auth file, I can now access Deluge from other computers in Thin Client mode. Great!

Now I'm just concerned about why my username / password was coming up as invalid, and if I can add some other privileges to my ssh user in case the same thing happens again...

But for now Deluge is working. I'll set up and test the Socks5 proxy next.

• Yep, done! An important step.

Back to Deluge, for the encryption, what settings do you employ? Right now I have it set to Forced, and Full Stream, along with the SOCKS5 of course. Are those the best settings?

Following a download, when using a Linux laptop to move files from one shared folder to another, everything was passing through the local machine via wifi, which made for a very slow transfer. I like to manually move files to their allocated share rather than do it automatically. Is there a way to do this that won't force a move via the laptop itself, but would just move the file location on the disk?

Also, is there a way to generate a backup config file that includes users, shares, docker containers etc that I can download?

Thanks so much for your help!

• For encryption in Deluge I have it set Forced in both directions, Level Full Stream, Encrypt Entire Stream enabled.

The way I have encryption set seems reasonable to me.

Supposedly, the program Cloud Commander can move files around on a machine without needing to go thru the local machine. See:

Code
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myToZuxdB4E&t=261s

The entire OMV configuration is stored in the file /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

It can be used for referenced purposes only. It can not be used to restore a system.

I make scheduled daily dd images of my OMV system disk for disaster recovery purposes. I keep a weeks's worth.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!