Frustrating install experience and recommendations for improvement, part 2

• POST TOO LONG, CONTINUE FROM PART 1...

So now I know that NIC is detected and works during OMV install, but I don't know if NIC works after OMV is installed. I don't know how to confirm this, but my both NICs (wifi and wired) are listed with 'lspci'.

I assume that NIC works, but it doesn't connect to the Internet, so I look around how to connect to wifi from CLI.

PROBLEM: Way too many pages with too many different instructions...
    SOLUTION: I come across this, I follow option 1:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com…hrough-command-line#92810

I look at my OMV /etc/network/interfaces and sure enough, "iface [...] inet dhcp" is there, but

wpa-ssid {ssid}wpa-psk {password}

is not there!!!

PROBLEM: I connect to wifi during install, but then it doesn't save when installed?
    SOLUTION: WTF, OMV?

I edit /etc/network/interfaces, add my ssid and password below "iface ... inet dhcp"

PROBLEM: Should my wifi password really be in plain text in /etc/network/interfaces
    SOLUTION: I don't know...

Reboot, I get IP on login screen, I login, Internet works, web GUI works.

PROBLEM: AITA for wanting to use OMV over wifi?
    SOLUTION: You tell me! I got it to work, but I don't think I should have went through all of this. Where did I go wrong? What OMV info did I miss? What info should OMV provide, but didn't?

TomK

• Offizieller Beitrag

You tell me! I got it to work, but I don't think I should have went through all of this. Where did I go wrong?

What are you installing OMV on to? Also you should always use Ethernet for installation, but I'm assuming from what you have written that you believe your Ethernet is not working.
    So you install over Ethernet, then configure wifi, which would have been installed during the install but would have required to be set up via the GUI.

• I'm not a OMV dev nor am I a Linux expert but I know that it's not the best idea to run a NAS on a wireless connection. So that may be the reason for the initial missing wifi driver support.
    If you really need the wifi drivers then it's probably best to temporarily use a wired connection and add wifi within the gui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed on ThinkPad x220, I used wifi during install, too. Everything probably would have been fine if I used wired Ethernet.

Simple answer Yes!! My suggestion if you have not set anything up is to install again using Ethernet, then configure the wifi in the GUI as suggested by @Stramm

• I may agree that running NAS over wifi is not a good idea, but that doesn't mean that it is not allowed by OMV, and it doesn't mean there won't be users who really want to do it (like me!).

So my question is this: if I successfully connected to wifi during the install, shouldn't I expect that the same wifi will be connected to after the install? Is this too much too ask? I think this is the intended behavior for any consumer OS...

If the intended behavior is that wifi that was used during the install doesn't connect to after install, then I think there should be a clear message to that effect, e.g. "You are installing over WiFi, the WiFi connection will not be saved after installation. If you want to continue using WiFi on OMV, you'll have to configure it manually from the CLI".

If the intended behavior is that wifi that was used during the install connects to the same signal after the install, then that should be fixed, somehow.

IMHO. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I may agree that running NAS over wifi is not a good idea, but that doesn't mean that it is not allowed by OMV, and it doesn't mean there won't be users who really want to do it (like me!).

While I think it is a bad idea, running a NAS over wifi is acceptable. Installing OMV using wifi is something I would tell people to never do.

if I successfully connected to wifi during the install, shouldn't I expect that the same wifi will be connected to after the install?

No. The installer is a minimally modified Debian installer that knows nothing of OMV's database.

Is this too much too ask? I think this is the intended behavior for any consumer OS...

You are the first I have seen ask for this in 7+ years. This may be normal for a consumer desktop OS but not a headless NAS. I don't think I have seen a wireless commercial NAS.

If the intended behavior is that wifi that was used during the install doesn't connect to after install, then I think there should be a clear message to that effect, e.g. "You are installing over WiFi, the WiFi connection will not be saved after installation. If you want to continue using WiFi on OMV, you'll have to configure it manually from the CLI".

See previous comments.

• You are the first I have seen ask for this in 7+ years.

Wow, then I'm kind of proud of myself! :)

Background on why I'm installing over wifi: My router is in a tool shed outside of my home, I could go there, connect with wire, install, configure wifi, and then go back home, but now it is cold during the day, and I don't have fingerless gloves! :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Background on why I'm installing over wifi: My router is in a tool shed outside of my home, I could go there, connect with wire, install, configure wifi, and then go back home, but now it is cold during the day, and I don't have fingerless gloves!

I figured you had a reason but it is just hard to accommodate. It would be much easier for you to purchase a wireless to ethernet bridge (lots of cheap routers can do this for $20) or a really long cable.

And just to note, FreeNAS and Rockstor don't seem to support this install method either.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!