You've heard it before -- "...I'm building a NAS...I need..."

• I really like what I see so far and I see no reason at this time to be considering a Synology or Qnap system

OMV has been successfully loaded virtually. I really like what I see so far and I see no reason at this time to be considering a Synology or Qnap system. There is no sense in putting money into someone else's pocket to help their retailing markups when I can pick and choose the components that I wish.

I have a Synology 412+ and from my limited experience with OMV I find it responds and has similar features to Synology's DSM. I'm already looking at getting a SoC, Rockpro64 or Raspberry Pi 3, for a replacement as it is significantly cheaper, at least for my current usage and set up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm already looking at getting a SoC, Rockpro64 or Raspberry Pi 3, for a replacement

Don't get a Raspberry Pi. An R-PI might drive you back to the Synology. R-PI's are notoriously slow, and among the worst performing SBC's in the entire market. Almost anything else would be better.

• Don't get a Raspberry Pi. An R-PI might drive you back to the Synology. R-PI's are notoriously slow, and among the worst performing SBC's in the entire market. Almost anything else would be better.

Yes, I was just reviewing RPi ram offerings and RockPro64 just seems to win on ram and other specs.

• Don't get a Raspberry Pi. An R-PI might drive you back to the Synology. R-PI's are notoriously slow, and among the worst performing SBC's in the entire market. Almost anything else would be better.

See my post in My NAS Build started on 12/04/2018. I cover some of my NAS build which is in process and quite cheap so far but very robust in components.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• See my post in My NAS Build started on 12/04/2018. I cover some of my NAS build which is in process and quite cheap so far but very robust in components.

I'm trying to stay away from doing a full on build just for a NAS which is why I'm really considering a SoC for the base system. Your build will certainly do the trick and then some.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I was just reviewing RPi ram offerings and RockPro64 just seems to win on ram and other specs.

I've built an OMV NAS on an R-PI2 with a single 4TB WD-Mypassport USB powered drive. (With a solid power supply to handle the load). It worked, sort of. Depending on what it was doing, it might stop responding the Web GUI. The same thing might happen with SMB shares, again, if it was busy with something else. In the bottom line, it's easy to saturate an R-PI CPU and when it's running at 100%, there's nothing left to give. I automated most events for after-hours but, even at that, it was barely adequate as a file server for one person. Soon, it became a last resort backup device only, for my new server. (Where it could chew on files with Rsync, for hours on end, with no user impact.)

While I've not built a RockPro64, if I was going the SBC route looking for power efficiency, good performance, etc., the RockPro64 is the way I'd go. There's a sata port option board for it, and there's this one stop solution for housing the SBC board, the sata adapter, 2 sata drives and a PS. The total is far less that any pre-made NAS box I know of and it's energy efficient.

• I've built an OMV NAS on an R-PI2 with a single 4TB WD-Mypassport USB powered drive. (With a solid power supply to handle the load). It worked, sort of. Depending on what it was doing, it might stop responding the Web GUI. The same thing might happen with SMB shares, again, if it was busy with something else. In the bottom line, it's easy to saturate an R-PI CPU and when it's running at 100%, there's nothing left to give. I automated most events for after-hours but, even at that, it was barely adequate as a file server for one person. Soon, it became a last resort backup device only, for my new server. (Where it could chew on files with Rsync, for hours on end, with no user impact.)
    While I've not built a RockPro64, if I was going the SBC route looking for power efficiency, good performance, etc., the RockPro64 is the way I'd go. There's a sata port option board for it, and there's this one stop solution for housing the SBC board, the sata adapter, 2 sata drives and a PS. The total is far less that any pre-made NAS box I know of and it's energy efficient.

I think I'm probably too far along with my purchases to change course

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think I'm probably too far along with my purchases to change course

And I wouldn't suggest that you should (change course). There's no one solution that's right for everyone.

However, given what @liquidJiggy was considering, RE. SBC's (where an R-PI was mentioned), a comment or two seemed to be in order.

• And I wouldn't suggest that you should (change course). There's no one solution that's right for everyone.
    However, given what @liquidJiggy was considering re. SBC's (where an R-PI was mentioned), a comment or two seemed to be in order.

Oh, by all means flmaxey, I fully understood, and openly accept, the forum desires to input examples and comments. The comments serve me well for knowledge and learning. Yeah, I too was just commenting. People on this forum are so far ahead of me in knowledge, it is ridiculous. Hopefully, someday I'll get up to speed with the rest of you. Until then . . . lots of ground for me to cover and learn.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!