Multiple problems with OMV & now cant ssh or browse

• I currently have a Netgear readynas but I have been having speed issues with it so decided to migrate over to a HP Proliant N54L microserver. I went through a number of options between freenas, windows server or open media vault and decided that OMV was closest to my current set up on the Netgear. But so far totally regretting that choice as the simplest things are throwing up errors.

I installed OMV 4 arrakis then followed step by step guides to download and install openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all4.deb

following the guides i enabled plex repo then tried to install it but that fails due to a dependency error

I installed antivirus after a couple of failed attempts to install

I have a UPS on my current NAS so installed networkupstools to monitor my UPS, I followed the settings for that from the networkupstools webpage but when i tried to save it fails with the error

the name doesn't match the pattern '^[a-z0-9_-]+$'.

even if i leave it at the default name already on the set up page i get the same error. So I gave up with that and have disabled that for now.

I tried Plex again and still get the broken dependencies error so looked at the url in the repo and copied that to a browser and that came back with an error. I found the right location and tried to add a new repo with the correct location but that didn't work either.

So in good old fashioned error fixing i went for a reboot of the server....
    Now after the reboot if i try to SSH that times out, if i tried and connect to it via a browser it tries to download a random named .asx file, the filename changes each time i try it.

I did try to look for anyone with a similar problem first but could only find either no ssh or no web access not both and no mention of this asx file anywhere

I can get on via root directly to the console on the server and have tried every option of nas-firstaid but still no joy I cannot get to it other than via direct console.

I havent even risked trying to put and extra drives in it yet, so all i currently have is the server with one 80gb hard drive with OMV running (or not) on it. I wanted to get the basics set up first before I install the disks as I need to remove those from my current NAS having backed them up first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My experience from OMV is that you got to keep it good. Really good.

If you try something and it fails, then restore the system at once to a previous pristine config. Never assume that minor install glitches or something not working as it should is OK. So one of the first thing that you need to do is to figure out a good and easy way to backup and restore the system partition. And backup when you successfully update anything and restore at once otherwise. And reboot after any updates.

• Offizieller Beitrag

so decided to migrate over to a HP Proliant N54L microserver.

I have recently moved to the same and have not had any problems with it, but the first thing I did was to install an alternative bios information for which is here here and here

Mine is running on a 32Gb Flash drive on the internal usb, (I also have 2 extra drives one as a master and the other as an alternating drive)

Once running do all the usual networking, date and time, updates, make sure I can ssh etc, install omv extras...I'm not a Plex user but most on here use Docker to run Plex.

• yes I updated the bios but went to the latest version as I don't have any need to add extra drives so didn't see any point in having the hacked version which would allow the extra drives.

I did all of the above checked and downloaded all of the updates etc. It was only when I tried to install and use the extra plugins that I had issues.

It wouldn't let me save the changes I made so I couldn't then apply them so as far as I can see I haven't made any changes as it wouldn't let me.

If I can't get on via ssh or webpage then is that a total rebuild required ? It's not looking like something I can rely on if it is

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I can't get on via ssh or webpage then is that a total rebuild required ?

That would be the best option, what are you installing omv on to? In respect of the bios it quite simply 'opens' the bios to hidden settings.

I installed using an external usb cd with the flash drive plugged into the internal usb, it just worked, and once completed I could get into the gui....I think I set the bios to boot from usb, or at least set it as the first boot device.

• Yes it does open out hidden settings but as I wasn't sure if I was going to install Windows server instead I saw a post that mentioned a need for the later bios so went for that in the end.

I installed from a USB memory stick onto a single 80gb hdd that came with the microserver.

As I said everything worked for ssh and web until I tried to enable the extras plugins, but they are things I want to be able to use like Antivirus Plex and to be able to monitor my UPS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I said everything worked for ssh and web until I tried to enable the extras plugins, but they are things I want to be able to use like Antivirus Plex and to be able to monitor my UPS.

If you don't want to reinstall, remove everything you have installed and do an apt-clean, that will remove any leftovers. OMV has a plugin for UPS and AntiVirus (personally I've never used AV on linux) Plex you're better using docker as most do on here.

BTW that's waste of an 80Gb hard drive, OMV will happily boot from a usb.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV will happily boot from a usb thumbdrive.

A USB drive is very easy to backup and restore. (-> User Guide)

Which makes the following possible:

If you try something and it fails, then restore the system at once to a previous pristine config. /---/ . And backup when you successfully update anything and restore at once otherwise.

• If you don't want to reinstall, remove everything you have installed and do an apt-clean, that will remove any leftovers. OMV has a plugin for UPS and AntiVirus (personally I've never used AV on linux) Plex you're better using docker as most do on here.
    BTW that's waste of an 80Gb hard drive, OMV will happily boot from a usb.

how can I remove the added extras if I can't get to the interface to remove them ?

Yes I know that the 80gb hard drive is a total waste but it came in the microserver when I bought it so just made use of it. I have 3 hard drives for the actual data.

I have AV on my readynas and that has picked up a couple of things so plan to keep it on my new NAS just to be safe

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!