OMV install totally crashed - I/O errors

• Hi everybody,

I had a working installation of OMV 4.x since it became to fail yesterday... ;(
    After server reboot, I realized that most of my files were missing from my directories and boot process showed some errors.
    A dmesg command shows this :

Nothing is working anymore, OMV web GUI is not accessible, plexmediaserver service is in fail status... so it seems everything is crashed ! I don't really know what is going on and how to fix this problem... ?(

Please help me, I have a lot of data on that server, I would like not to lose them all !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suspect that your HDD is broken or at least that the file system is corrupt.

I would remove the HDD and connect it to another Linux PC and run some diagnostics. There are several rescue dists available that you can flash to a thumbdrive or burn to a CD. Or possibly use the current computer but boot from other media.

Google "live rescue disk linux".

I suspect that you don't have any backups? Then you may want to ASAP copy the readable contents of the HDD to another HDD. Perhaps using GNU ddrescue. Just to be on the safe side if you really value the contents of the HDD. But if you don't have any backups I assume that you don't value the contents very high?

It can take a very long time to make a copy of a bad filesystem. ddrescue may try to read problem areas many times. It can take days to make a good copy if the disk is big. Don't use a slow computer or USB. Use your fastest computer and SATA!

When you have a good (as good as possible) copy of the HDD, or without a ddrescue copy if you feel very lucky, you can try to see if it is possible to revive the contents of the HDD without advanced recovery methods. (This is cheating. A real rescue expert would only work on the backup image, to save the original from further corruption.)

If you have good backups of the drive, or don't really value the contents, you may also want to skip the ddrescue step to save time and effort.

Check SMART info.
    Try file system check and repair tools.

Hopefully the file system check and repair tools will be sufficient.

Google check and "repair linux filesystem fsck".

Some examples: https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/08/fsck-command-examples/

Otherwise, if fsck is not enough, you may have to read up on disk rescue and start recovering files from the GNU ddrescue image.

Google "rescue disk files linux"

You may want to use several rescue tools. Some tools may be able to rescue some files along with the folder structure or the filenames. Some tools may be able rescue many more files, but without folder structure and the filenames.

• Thank you @Adoby for your accurate reply !

Actually I do not have full backup of my datas, only some of them are duplicated on external HDD. It's not that I don't care about my datas, but more a question of money. Do not yet have enough money to make some RAID of DR infrastructure.

Another problem is that I am very far from the physical server. Server is currently in France but I am in EAU for business, not coming back in France untill February. So it will be complicated for me to execute physical maintenance tasks. All I can do is manage the VM through VPN and SSH connection.

I will consider getting more information about what you told me and try it!

I hope my HDD isn't broken, but I suspect filesystem to be corrupted or something like that since I have an error when I try to mount one of my HDD on another VM in Proxmox :

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/10397/

Seems that the filesystem has switched to READ ONLY permission, but I don't know why.

I will investigate further thanks to your information :) and I'll come back later when I have news about it^^

@ness1602 no it's not my boot disk. Actually I boot a Proxmox server on a SSD 256GB, OMV VM is hosted on this Proxmox server, then I have 2x 3TB WD Red HDD. I think both or one them are corrupted.

• If you used RAID of the physical disks(mdrad) you could try to pair them up inside proxmox(with the same commands you used on OMV VM). That way you could see if the data is damaged.
    I have separate OMV and Proxmox machines, so i don't have that type of scenario.

• That's true. HDD is qcow2 image stored in one of my 2 WD Caviar Red 3TB.

Actually, it seems that the qcow2 image is set to read only and I can't start my OMV VM without unmounting the virtual HDD correponding to that qcow2 image. So, the problem seems to be that virtual disk but I don't know yet how to solve this issue

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!