Anyone with experience fo ASRock J4105 or J4005B ITX Mobo

• My first ever PC build is turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Can anyone who uses either of the 2 above Mobos let me know what RAM you are using. I am trying to figure out why I cannot get either system to show video out, and think it may be incompatible RAM.

thanks

• You should stick with the RAM specified in the ASRock Memory QVL published for each board.

And you should have mentioned all the specific RAM you have already tried.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sorry, a mistake in the title, it should be the J4005B-ITX which uses SO-DIMM

The J400B has Corsair CMSO4GX4M1A2133C15 in the QVL list which I used initially. When that didn't work I bought another of the same stick thinking I may have got bad RAM. - RAM

The J4105 has Corsair CMSO4GX4M1A2133C15 in the QVL list, but mentions "ver.1551", although I'm not really sure how to check for this.

Maybe I am just unlucky and have received 2 bad RAM/PSU/Mobo?

• Sorry, but the RAM would not be what's preventing the display output from not working. If the RAM didn't work, the system wouldn't boot. Have you connected a speaker to see if you get some "beep" codes? They are used to identify any potential problems.

Do any LEDs on the board light up? Have you tried to connect a fan to see if it's spinning? That way you know the board has power.

Which display interface are you trying to use? Have you tried the other one?

Also, these days motherboards aren't that finicky when it comes to RAM, unless you're getting some really fast, edge case stuff for overclocking.
    At JEDEC speeds, anything tends to work.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• This is all fairly new to me, so not 100% on the terms, but there is nothing to boot as I haven't got to the point where I can install an OS of any kind. So Im not sure if there is no video out, or its failing to start at all?

I bought some speakers when the initial build failed, if I turn on either Mobo with no RAM installed I get 3 beeps, otherwise no beeps at all at any point.

No LEDs on the boards light up (I presume there aren't any), but the power button LED in the case works fine when attached.

The case fan spins up when connected to either the Case Fan header, or the CPU Fan header, on either board

I have tried using the HDMI out and VGA out. The cables and monitor work fine with other devices so I don't think that is the problem.

• Are you using 1x8GB or 2X8GB?

I am going to wait a couple more days to see if ASRock bother to respond to my support request, if not I will give the 8GB stick a go and hopefully it will work.

• Ok, I was talking about a case speaker, not some kind of external speakers connected to the 3.5mm jacks around the back. The three beeps (if they're long beeps) simply means no RAM is installed.

So you got power to the board, that's at least a good sign. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? Simply short the CLRMOS1 pins for about 10 seconds and it should reset all the settings in the UEFI/BIOS.

It's highly unlikely that your parts are not working, as that's really rare, but not impossible, these days.

Yes, it would. Happened to me too. If the System can't recognize the RAM it just won't post anything.

You do realise that you just contradicted yourself? Yes, bad RAM would prevent the system from post/boot, but that's not the same as preventing the display output from working, the two are not directly related.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• It's highly unlikely that your parts are not working, as that's really rare, but not impossible, these days.

You do realise that you just contradicted yourself? Yes, bad RAM would prevent the system from post/boot, but that's not the same as preventing the display output from working, the two are not directlyI

Yes, it's unlikely that the parts don't work, but noone is talking about that. It's more than likely a RAM Compatibility Issue.
    I don't really get where you're coming from. Of course, bad ram wouldnt hurt the display output, but we're not talking about a faulty display port or sth, but the system not posting, which can absolutely be caused by faulty/wrong ram.

• Finally got a response from ASRock...

-----------------------------

"Hello,

Yes, this is probably RAM incompatibility. There are different versions of CMSO4GX4M1A2133C15. Some are compatible, some not. The different versions have the same model number, but different configurations.

We have added some information at the top of the memory QVL here:
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/J4105-ITX/index.asp#Memory
    And details about the chips used on the compatible CMSO4GX4M1A2133C15.

Configurations that are normally supported:
    SR: Single rank SODIMM, 1Rx8 or 1Rx16 on SODIMM module label.
    DR: Dual rank SODIMM, 2Rx8 on SODIMM module label.

In case the sticker on your modules does not show the configuration please check with Corsiar for detailed specifications."

-----------------------------

I am not really sure what any of the above means, but I cannot see anything like "1Rx8" etc on the RAM label, and not sure where to look online to find this info.

I am genuinely surprised/pissed off for them to essentially say - "yeah we have a list of compatible RAM, but BTW it might not work anyway"

In any case, I have already ordered the 8GB stick, if that doesn't work I'm done with this. Will be on the lookout for a different Board.

• Received the 8GB stick recommended by Bonecracker and can confirm it works! Started up first time. Thanks for the help Bonecracker, and everyone else with the suggestions.

New problem - there are no legacy boot options, even after updating the BIOS from v1.00 to v1.40, so I don't know how to install OMV......

• Received the 8GB stick recommended by Bonecracker and can confirm it works! Started up first time. Thanks for the help Bonecracker, and everyone else with the suggestions.

New problem - there are no legacy boot options, even after updating the BIOS from v1.00 to v1.40, so I don't know how to install OMV......

You can try doing a minimal install of Debian (which will install via UEFI) , then install OMV on top of it via the package manager. I had to do this on an older i386 architecture appliance before for a different reason (because no i386 support on newer OMV builds). This method was recommended to me by one of the Moderators, and was pretty painless.

• Thanks, I was in the process of trying this when your post came through.

I have tried my usual method of creating a bootable USB stick with etcher but the system does not recognise it at all. Not sure what format etcher formats the stick into but it won't even show up in the boot menu.

If I format the USB stick myself to FAT32 and transfer the files over manually, it is recognised by the system but when it boots I get some a GRUB command line "minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the......." At that point I am stuck

I will create a new thread in the installation area as I think that's the relevant problem now.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!