Little help with what server to get

• I have a choice of:

• Dell PowerEdge R710 Server Xeon Quad Core X5570 2.93GHz 16GB Ram
    • HP ProDesk 400 G2 Desktop PC intel Core i5 4590S @3GHz 16GB DDR3 RAM
    • Dell Poweredge R710, Dual Hex Core E5660 @ 2.40GHz, 16GB DDR3
    • HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 i3-3220 3.30GHz / 16GB ddr3

I mainly use for plex and to run a few dockers. not sure which one to go for or best to look for another model would maybe like to try running few vm in future

cheers ?(?(?(?(

• Either one is more than powerful. Just get one that allows you to add enough storage for your needs now and in the future.
    Also maybe consider noise and power draw?

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Since you list very specific hardware, I assume these are actual physically available items, rather than just research results? If so, a couple notes concerning what @TheLostSwede mentions above:

Formfactor: The two HPs are towers, while the Dells are rackmount. Besides the different physical size and orientation, the Dells will have smaller, so probably noisier fans. The towers will have larger, slower moving fans, which should produce less noise.

Storage: The ProDesk (assuming its the Desktop MiniTower) only has 3 Sata connections on the motherboard, so that's limiting if you need more drives. The Dells were available with a choice backplanes for either 2.5" or 3.5" disks. If you have specific disks or capacities in mind, this could be a limiting factor for you if one (or both) of the R710s doesn't support the disk size you're wanting/needing.

Power Consumption: The two towers have newer generation CPUs, so may be more power efficient at idle. The Dual CPU R710 will probably draw the most power at idle, but if you really need the extra CPU power, its probably something you'd have to live with unless you want to spend the money on something newer and more efficient.

But, as mentioned above, any of them can probably get the job done for what you want.

• yes they are all available from a company by me closing down and have these listed for sale.

think ill go for the r710 dual hex core one as that leaves me with a little head room for other projects VM's

Thanks all

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!