Help with WiFi Driver (Update)

• Sorry, total dunce here.

I recently received a wifi BT adapter from Edimax and I need some help installing the driver. apparently I have to actually make the driver from the files? the directions are so sparse for a dummy like me.

the model i got was EW-7611ULB. The driver download is here.

I was trying to get teh BT to work first, but WiFi is what I'm after.

any guidance would be most appreciated!

Off-Grid Home Server Project:

ROCKPro64 4GB (Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core)

OMV 5.5.11 on Armbian Buster Server

SD boot | 128GB SSD Docker Storage | 2x 1TB SSD RAID1 Storage

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von BackWoodsTech ()

• Update:
    Here is the error I'm getting!

I'm running OMV on a Rockpro64

• Anyone? Is there more info I should provide??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most people don't use wifi on a nas and even less use an adapter that needs the driver compiled. That group gets even smaller when you are using an arm board (especially if you are using the 64 bit image). So, you don't have a wide audience to get info from. This post might help.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecaaron

I do follow your logic here about the diminishing pools of opportunities. FWIW I'm not using the 64bit image, but all your logic still stands.

I'm happy to either move this discussion or start a new one in the hardware sub-forum.

a bit of background: my rockpro64 is going to be used in an offgrid environment so power consumption is a concern; currently there is no wired infrastructure there. WiFi comes from a (very basic) Verizon Jetpack via 4G LTE. I'm considering using something like this (I believe the chipset is supported) in order to get my rockpro nas connected to my WiFi. From there all i'm really looking to do is use plex for music for my home stereo.
    Anything else like using OMV as a platform for storing weather station data is a bonus.

I'm happy to have any insight and advice from you or others!
    thanks so much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm happy to either move this discussion or start a new one in the hardware sub-forum.

Keeping it here is fine. It does sound like you have a valid use case. Did you try the idea in the post I linked to?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Keeping it here is fine. It does sound like you have a valid use case. Did you try the idea in the post I linked to?

@ryecoaaron
    Sorry for the delay. I fell down the Python hole for a few days.
    I tried as suggested in the link but still running into issues.Maybe this image will help you see something I'm missing. Thanks!
    EDIT: I deleted the folder and did the git clone again. However, when I try to execute make i'm receiving an error about 'arch/aarch64/Makefile: No such file or directory'

perhaps there is a configuration file I need to modify?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von BackWoodsTech () aus folgendem Grund: Added additional info

• Offizieller Beitrag

Compiling drivers on arm64 that are probably meant for amd64 and i386 only is out of my skill set. I did some searching and didn't find anything. I think using the router you linked to would probably be a better idea.

• @ryecoaaron
    Good call man. I just placed the order. Thanks again. I'll be happy to post the results if its useful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll be happy to post the results if its useful.

I've seen a couple of people say lately that they have to use wireless. So, this would probably be useful.

• Success! I've got the RockPro64 connected (wired) to the TP Link Router connected (wireless) as a client to my Verizon JetPack! I"m actually sending this message from RDP into GNOME (using Midori) on the RockPRo.
    Right now the JetPack is handing out IPs but I think I assigned an IP for the client device in the router which may come back to bite me.
    The only thing that's odd to me is that as soon as you configure the router to be a client access point (wired to wireless) your ability to login to the router goes away. Maybe that's expected behavior?

On My Jetpack only the RockPro's IP is displayed. I'm wondering if I can configure the Jetpack to hand out a static IP to the RockPro.
    Anyway...so far so good. I may post the full build specs when the SSDs arrive and results from a Kill A Watt reading. Remember this is for 24/7 Off Grid use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only thing that's odd to me is that as soon as you configure the router to be a client access point (wired to wireless) your ability to login to the router goes away. Maybe that's expected behavior?

Maybe you need to enable remote access?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!