File Structure Hierarchy

• How do I create a file folder hierarchy structure in OMV? I usually get pretty detailed in my Windows 10 Pro file structure. As I created my first virtual machine SMB/CIF network shared file folder I did not really see a way for defining hierarchy. Is there a supported/suggested method? I am using the Sept. 10, 2018 - Rev 1.1 Getting Started with OMV as my beginning teacher.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You typically have one or more shared folder, possibly with different types of access. Then you just create subfolders as you see fit. You can base your structure on type of media, name, author creation date, publisher or whatever you want to use to find the files.

Many use media scrapers to automatically identify, rename and reorganize media. I use Tiny Media Manager, MusicBrainz Picard and calibre e-book manager.

I use four subfolders trees, based on how I back them up.

Shared important media. Daily backups using multiple methods and remote destinations.
    Shared media. Daily rsync snapshots to one other NAS.
    Local media. No backups. Mostly junk. May be deleted.
    Backups and snapshots. From other NAS. Already backups.

You can also link to folders.

That way you can create a folder BackupDaily that contains all the folders that you want to backup daily. But they also are elsewhere, based on type of media instead of the backup frequency.

• Thanks for the reply Adoby.

Thanks for your file tree design instructions/advice. I seem to have no problem in designing a file tree structure. I have had that practice well in place for 15 years. I just have missed something in doing a file tree in OMV. I was mainly having trouble determining how in OMV to create subfolders. It didn't really hit me in the face as I was learning to create a network share. Would you mind pointing out what step of 'creating a network shared folder/subfolder' I should be paying closer attention to?

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• I understand your reply. I accept your direction. I have been using the manual but I evidently have overlooked something in the manual that getsd closer to the topic of hierarchy. That is what I was trying to gain assistance with. I will study the manual once again to see if 'hierarchy' is brought more to my attention.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As you are using SMB/CIFS you might have one shared folder which is added to that service.
    Then within the shared folder you have the same folder structure as on your Windows. You can create it for example by using Windows File Explorer from your Windows computer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One hierarchy is

Disk
    Filesystem
    Shared folder
    Service

You maybe wipe a disk. You format and/or mount one or more filesystems on that disk. You create one or more shared folders in the filesystem. Then you add/configure one or more services that use that shared folder to provide a network share. Several services can use the same shared folder. For instance a shared folder may be shared using SMB/CIFS, NFS and ftp, all at the same time. Then you can access the shared folder from a client.

This hierarchy is partly based on how computers/Linux works and partly how things are organized/split up in the OMV GUI.

• As you are using SMB/CIFS you might have one shared folder which is added to that service.
    Then within the shared folder you have the same folder structure as on your Windows. You can create it for example by using Windows File Explorer from your Windows computer.

BINGO!!!! :thumbup: Now that's what I'm talking about!

As a beginner to OMV I was merely under the impression that all structure was achieved within the OMV platform/procedures. I never thought to use the standard Windows procedures for the hierarchy. I was always tunnel visioned into assuming everything needing to be done inside OMV. The manual never provided reference to my confusion. (At least I never saw any reference).

macom, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!