Different Micro sd size

• OMV 4.x
    • OMV doesn't expand the rootfs to fill the available space. Only to 7-8GB. So it should work perfectly to restore the rootfs from a 32GB card to a 16GB card or the other way around, if you don't manually resize the rootfs. I do this, and it works fine.

Just make sure to use a tool that doesn't image the whole card, but only the actual partitions.
      OMV 4, 5 x ODROID HC2, 2 x 12TB, 2 x 8 TB, 1 x 500 GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Adoby wrote:

OMV doesn't expand the rootfs to fill the available space. Only to 7-8GB. So it should work perfectly to restore the rootfs from a 32GB card to a 16GB card or the other way around, if you don't manually resize the rootfs. I do this, and it works fine.

Just make sure to use a tool that doesn't image the whole card, but only the actual partitions.
      Actually i got a deal on much bigger size A2 card! so what tool would you recommend since I think but not sure Win32 Disk Imager wont do that even if we check mark: "Read only Allocated partition"?

Actually got an other question in relation to the subject: how to make a system drive back up directly from OMV, I believe clonezilla is not compatible with ARM board?
    • Read only allocated partition should do it. But I don't use Windows, so I can't test it.

I remove the SD card and use a Linux Laptop with a SD card reader to back it up.

I use a script, and dd and partclone. It only copies the partitions. There are other tools that do the same.

I agree it would have been great if you could backup/restore the rootfs from OMV.

See: New to OMV and Linux
      OMV 4, 5 x ODROID HC2, 2 x 12TB, 2 x 8 TB, 1 x 500 GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • Users Online 1

1 Guest