Filesystems and discs menu loading forever + invalid rpc response after update

• I'm not doing much in omv webinterface but now I wanted to format, mount a usb drive. I get the invalid rpc response error and what's worse, if I click on discs or filesystems it just shows the loading sing all the time, I cannot see the discs or anything.

I read the rpc error is probably because of old plugins that were not updated upon omv version upgrade. I checked that and had shellinabox plugin version 3... installed.
    I did that:

Code
    apt-get remove openmediavault-shellinabox
    wget -O - http://omv-extras.org/install | bash
    omv-update

but that didn't help.
    Here's the output of openmediavault packages:

Quellcode
    [*]root@hc2:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    [*]ii openmediavault 4.1.13-1 all openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    [*]ii openmediavault-flashmemory 4.2.1 all folder2ram plugin for OpenMediaVault
    [*]ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    [*]ii openmediavault-netatalk 4.0.7-1 all OpenMediaVault netatalk (AppleTalk Protocol Suite) plugin
    [*]ii openmediavault-omvextrasorg 4.1.13 all OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    [/list]

• Then try enable and then disable.

Error message persists, however I found new errors in syslog:

Code
    Nov 11 16:04:07 localhost omv-engined[18770]: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function bccomp() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc:689#012Stack trace:#012#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/system.inc(428): binary_format('2093920256')#012#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSystem->getInformation(Array, Array)#012#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#012#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getInformation', Array, Array)#012#4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('System', 'getInformation', Array, Array, 1)#012#5 {main}#012  thrown in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc on line 689

Nov 11 16:04:18 localhost omv-engined[18809]: PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function bccomp() in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc:689#012Stack trace:#012#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/storagedevice.inc(72): binary_format('31914983424')#012#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(85): OMV\System\Storage\StorageDevice->getDescription()#012#2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->enumerateDevices(NULL, Array)#012#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#012#4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/diskmgmt.inc(119): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateDevice...', NULL, Array)#012#5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDiskMgmt->getList(Array, Array)#012#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#012#7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)#012#8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{clos in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/functions.inc on line 689
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately I doubt that I can help much.

I have found that OMV is very "brittle".

When it works everything is fine and OMV works great. Snappy and stable.

But if you try something and if it fails, it sometimes/often fails spectacularly and/or irreparably and/or has hidden side effects that appear later. Even if you get an error while changing the configuration, and revert the configuration, OMV is still often borked. It might be simple things that should work. Like creating a SMB/CIFS remote mount AND a NFS remote mount. It seems you can create either, perfectly fine. But not both at the same time. Or changing the mount options, if it fails, you may not be able to recover without editing OMV configuration files, so I restore the SD card instead.

And if you THINK you fixed it, because the errors went away, then the next thing you try may fail, even if it is something that used to work before. So the errors didn't really go away.

So I've started to restore my root filesystem from a backup as soon as I get an error, any error, from the OMV GUI. And my OMV installs runs great! They are all pristine! But I think they are very brittle. And now I only try things when I'm ready to restore the card from backup. Typically when I do a bigger update of OMV and are about to create new backups of the cards anyway.

When I encounter problems of this type I don't even bother trying to fix it any more. Or even report it. Instead I just restore a backup of the SD from backup. I assume that most problems are easy to fix from the command line, but it would most likely be much more effort and take longer than simply using a backup to restore the card to a known good state.

I would very much like a better and true "revert" function in OMV. So that when OMV works fine, after a successful update or a new plugin or just a configuration change, you can "snapshot" that new configuration. Then when you next try some changes and if it fails you can REALLY restore the configuration back to that working configuration. That would make OMV much more robust. It could even be combined with a report function that asks why you revert and what you tried and how it failed. And send the report to be analyzed. Perhaps used to create statistics to find problem areas in OMV?

The root filesystem on my cards uses BTRFS so it would most likely be very simple to set up. Perhaps a plugin that can create a BTRFS snapshot of the root filesystem and restore it and reboot. Something like the Linux GUI "TimeShift" app, but from the command line. It should even be possible to do manually from the command line. At least the create snapshot bit. Not sure if restoring a snapshot of the root filesystem, while running, is possible or safe. I might be if you reboot at once?

• Unfortunately I doubt that I can help much.

I have found that OMV is very "brittle".

When it works everything is fine and OMV works great. Snappy and stable...............................

Thx for your judgement, can't say many good or bad things about it. I have it running for quite a while now, but I use my homeserver for other stuff too, "outside omv cosmos". Maybe omv doesn't like that.
    I don't use the webif much, main reason to install omv was that via armbian there's a config menu from which you can install a optimised version of omv with tweaks for faster transfer speed, etc.

Right now I just wanted to hook up a spare external hdd via usb and use it just to store and playback movies. I head the transfer speed isn't good, do you have experience with that? I thought it should be fast enough to just playback hd movies via lan from it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Right now I just wanted to hook up a spare external hdd via usb and use it just to store and playback movies.

USB for HDDs is bad. I avoid it. USB2 (HC2) is bad AND slow. Might work for backups, but that is all.

I had a brain 'fart' last night :) and going back over this to the first post most SBC's do not 'play nice' with USB HDD unless the USB is powered i.e. has it's own power source.

• I had a brain 'fart' last night :) and going back over this to the first post most SBC's do not 'play nice' with USB HDD unless the USB is powered i.e. has it's own power source.

I should have mentioned that I'll use a 3,5" external hdd which is powered seperatly.

But back to my PHP Fatal Error:

I think I updated php together with nginx sometime, maybe omv didn't like that?
    Any ideas how to fix that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function bccomp

Any ideas how to fix that?

The php uncaught error appears to trigger the rest of the error and is related to something regarding the drive...but searching for that error reveals little on how to correct it.
    TBH, if this was me I would have given up and started again, in respect of updates I have a habit of initialising a few at a time, so if there is a group of php then update just those, then move on.

• The php uncaught error appears to trigger the rest of the error and is related to something regarding the drive...but searching for that error reveals little on how to correct it.TBH, if this was me I would have given up and started again, in respect of updates I have a habit of initialising a few at a time, so if there is a group of php then update just those, then move on.

One gets the impression this is standard procedure with omv: If you get an error, start over :D
    I'd like to avoid that. Maybe I can fix this error somehow..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!