dnsmasq - Can't get DHCP to work and can't look up local DNS

• Hi,

I can't get the DHCP server to function with dnsmasq and can't use it to lookup local domains. I have not the DHCP-server activted for the moment, because it didn't work, so I use my routers for the moment. But when I active the one in the dnsmasq plugin and disable the one in the router I can't get any IP or information from the DHCP in dnsmasq.

Bash: /etc/resolv.conf
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search vsk
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I can't get the DHCP server to function with dnsmasq and can't use it to lookup local domains.

I use the dnsmasq plugin without any issues, but to get this work you'll need to turn off dhcp on your router, you can configure the plugin whilst your router is still configured for dhcp.

To do this setup OMV with a static ip address, not forgetting to add dns. In the plugin General click Enable, Domain Name enter your home network name, go down to DHCP setting click Enable, then set up your DHCP settings, click save then apply..add your static ip address of OMV to the static entries tab, then disable DHCP on your router.

To get anything on your network to pick an ip address from your newly created DHCP on OMV you'll have to 'release' then 'renew' on the machine, phone or tablet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your domain doesn't look right but post of screenshot of the plugin's settings tab.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try it without the extra options? You shouldn’t need dhcp-authoritative and expand-hosts is already written to the config file by default. And just to make sure, your network adapter is actually eth0? Also not sure why you only want it to listen on eth0.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did you try it without the extra options? You shouldn’t need dhcp-authoritative and expand-hosts is already written to the config file by default. And just to make sure, your network adapter is actually eth0? Also not sure why you only want it to listen on eth0.

Yes, I have tried without the extra options also. Well, yes, if I check with ifconfig the adapter for the LAN is eth0. Well, I don't wan't the DHCP to listen on my VPN tun0 for example.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes... but that's more of a DNS question.. I think I got the DNS to work now but not the DHCP.

I have this working with no issues, I have no extra options set, no log queries set, and the only other difference is my dns server is pi-hole.

Ok this is going to be a 'suck eggs question' on any network machine are you 'releasing' the current ip address and then 'renew' so the machine sends a dhcp request. Anything on my network then appears in the leases tab, and any static entries I have created are entered in the static entries tab.

• I have this working with no issues, I have no extra options set, no log queries set, and the only other difference is my dns server is pi-hole.
    Ok this is going to be a 'suck eggs question' on any network machine are you 'releasing' the current ip address and then 'renew' so the machine sends a dhcp request. Anything on my network then appears in the leases tab, and any static entries I have created are entered in the static entries tab.

Ofc, i do an IP release and renew... but they are timed out. When I then enable the DHCP on my router again and try to renew the IP it works directly... So somehow the DHCP part of dnsmasq isn't starting.... Any ideas or should I ask in the Debian forum? :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok lets enable the settings in General and DHCP, if your clients are set as 1 week in your router this won't be a problem need the output from service dnsmasq status and cat /etc/dnsmasq.d/omv.conf

The fact that they are timed out could a network problem, but they can talk to the router!

EDIT:

From your picture there are two settings to enable General and DHCP Settings if the DHCP Settings is not enabled then the DHCP server is not running....result request timed out

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!