OMV 4.x Odroid HC2 - Updates fail: E 28 No space left on device

• Hey Forum,

I'm writing this thread because I've encountered a problem with setting up OMV.
    I bought an Odroid HC2 + HDD and wanted to set it all up with OMV. I downloaded the HC1/2 image from
    SourceForge. Flashing with Etcher went like a breeze and after plugging in the SD and connecting power and
    LAN I could connect within 30 seconds.

The problem is now, that I can't really install any updates or modify OMV in any way, because I all the time
    I get the response E: 28 No space left on device.
    Refreshing the update manager is also not possible and I get an error message that can fill about an A4 page.

This is odd because the SD is an 8 GB and Etcher showed
    that the img expands to 1 GB. When I checked the SD in -disks I saw that it had two partitions with one only
    55 MB in size. I think that the problem lies somewhere around here... But I'm not enough of a programmer yet
    to dig into the matter without any kind of guidance. I tried root via ssh too btw and got the same problem when
    I wanted to do 'apt-get update'...

No idea how to fix this on my own and I didn't find anything even after google-ing for a few days.
    Hope you can help me,
    I want that sweet sweet OMV server !
    Thanks in advance,
    Per

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two partitions on the card. A small /boot partition that is around 55 MB. That is fine.

There should also be a root filesystem partition that is at least a few GB in size.

If you install using a SD-card > 8GB then during the install process the root file system partition is expanded to 7 GB. That should be ample room for updates and extra plugins and apps.

Use a good quality card that is at least 16-32 GB. I use 8/16 GB Transcend Premium Class 10 400X and/or 32 GB Sandisk Ultra A1.

If you use a card < 8 GB or the install fails, then the root filesystem partition might not have been expanded. You can expand it manually using for instance parted or gparted.

The install fails if your OMV server can't connect to the internet during the install. You MUST install with your OMV server connected to a network with a router and a DHCP server connected to the internet!

When I install on my 8 GB Transcend cards the install is OK but the root filesystem isn't expanded. If I expanded it manually everything works fine. if I don't expand the root filesystem I get errors like yours when I try to update or add extra plugins. When I install using 16 GB Transcend cards or 32 GB Sandisk Ultra A1, then the root filesystem expansion works fine.

• Hey Adoby, thank you for the info.
    I expanded the second partition by first logging in over ssh as root and then checking the partitions
    through 'parted -l' I searched for the SD-card which I identified by its size and then looked at the
    size of the two partitions. the second one in btrfs format was very small and so I resized it
    with 'parted /path/to/the/drive resizepart -partition number-(2 in my case) Start End ( in sectors)'

This worked and the second partition is now about I gigabyte. I think I had a mishap with the sectors
    otherwise it would be larger. Anyhow the error persists and when I try to run 'dpkg --configure -a'
    I get:
    dpkg: error: failed to write status database record about 'hostpad' to '/var/lib/dpkg/status': No space left on device

What is the problem here ?
    Thank you again,
    Per

• Offizieller Beitrag

The OS partition should be at least 3 GB.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again, use at least a 8GB card. Also heed ryecoaarons warning:

The OS partition should be at least 3 GB.

If you have problems expanding the 2:nd partition the card might be bad? The Sandisk Ultra A1 16 or 32 GB cards are nice... I wouldn't buy anything less today.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have problems expanding the 2:nd partition the card might be bad?

Maybe but expanding the partition does so little writing to the card that I doubt it would fail because of a bad card. Otherwise, I don't think you would have even succeeded writing the image to the card.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey guys, quick update.

I etched the SD card again and than resized the partition on my local
    computer. After fiddling around a bit with the display of units (I went with MB in the end) in parted, I
    did the expansion and after booting twice in OMV
    everything works !! :D
    Thank you all for the help, I hope this might solve someone else the same problem.
    :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!