Is OMV a good choice for me?

• Hi,
    Thinking of building a SBC household NAS using the Rock64 and OMV. I was going to use my MacMini which runs Plex but then learned that Apple has recently nobbled the macOS Server software and decided that it'd be a good project to create something separate from my music machine. I have a Raidon 2 bay 2.5inch drive enclosure to use with it, which I would use in RAID 1. Backups would then be to another external drive or maybe something like BackBlaze.
    What I want to do:

• Back up one Windows computer
    • Possibly back up one or two iPhones
    • Central photo repository - LAN only (maybe external)
    • Shared Document repository - LAN and external
    • Private document repository - LAN and external

What I don't understand at this stage is if I can have a share that is on the LAN but also access it from outside the network via Owncloud or Nextcloud, or can this be done in OMV without Owncloud/Nextcloud? Any pointers to reading on this matter appreciated. Also if I go with the Rock64 can someone suggest a suitable RAM size for this application?

Thanks

• Nextcloud can certainly do it.

For me it is a bit too much. I use syncthing for my document and baikal for my PIM data (the latter not maintained any more).
    Syncthing is straightforward with its OMV plugin. I have uploaded my Baikal guide to this forum.

For external access I use a VPN through my router. This is transparent to OMV.

The more RAM the better. I use 2 GBytes ODROID HC1 and a XU4 with powerd USB harddrive as backup.
    A Rock64 is similar -> https://dietpi.com/#download
    I even started with a Raspberry Pi2 with 1 GByte but here the processor and the crappy LAN made it too slow for my taste.
    The ODROID HC1 and HC2 are a perfect package for my NAS/home server needs.

I do not use RAID since syncthing has the same effect and the redundany is spread over as many devices as you like.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!