How to install VirtualBox on a baremetal OpenMediaVault install

• UPDATE: The VirtualBox installation package has been fixed. There is/was an issue with Debian's version level decision-making algorithm that is now resolved.

This is a record of what happened and if you want to take your kernel backwards, it should work for you.

============================================

About 50 fresh-installs later, I finally cracked a VirtualBox installation nut! Yes, I may not know what I'm doing, but I got'r'done. I've historically found it helpful (for myself) to document these things so that future-me can go back and do them again the next time I blow up the OS. Here's a little venture.

Here's the TL;DR version:

• Fresh install of OMV4, but ONLY the installation. I.e. Stop where those instructions ended. Do NOT do 1.4 million updates; do not pass GO.
    • Regress the Kernel back to 4.9.0-8-amd64
    • Install OMV-Extras in the GUI
    • At the command-line, install openmediavault

And now, the details of what I did that succeeded and I'll spare you the trials and tribulations:

• [X}: Acquire OpenMediaVault (OMV4 version 4.1.3 as of this writing). Burn it to a CD.
    • GUI: Install OMV4 on your computer. Make sure you only have ONE (1) hard drive attached to your motherboard during the boot. That drive is going to get completely overwritten. Yes, it's going to wipe out the disk completely. That's the way it is. Do NOT try to install on a computer with a drive(s) that has/have any data on it because you run the risk of wiping out that drive if you make a wrong selection and you'll get no opportunity to fix that once you've said "Continue" to that step (despite what the instructions say).
    • CLI: After the installation an reboot is complete (during which, it will perform some updating - that's okay), DO NOT INSTALL ANY OF THE UPDATES! Instead, update grub, to fix a Debian installation issue. It took me a long while to figure out how to not do the updates after installing OMV4, so you're really better off trusting me on this one.
    Code
    # update-grub
    # reboot

Next, we're going to install the old-new kernel. I guessed at how to accomplish this using an outdated guide from 2014.

• CLI: [Optional] Correct the distracting "noneType" error in /usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py
    • GUI: Expand the Sources for apt to include both community and pre-release. [GUI: System->Update Management-> Settings} (I tried to past a picture, but this forum doesn't work that way and after the escapade with Photobucket, I'm not going that route ever again!)
    • CLI: Update Apt
    Code
    # apt update
    # apt search linux-image
    # apt-cache policy linux-image
    # apt-get install linux-image-4.9.0-8-amd64
    # apt-get install linux-headers-4.9.0-8-amd64

• CLI: examine /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Count the lines that start with "menuentry … " starting at zero, until you get to the line that starts as follows and write that number down (Example: 2)

• Code
      # more /boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64' --class debian 

• Edit the grub default file and replace the number for "GRUB_DEFAULT" with the number you wrote down from the previous step (Example: 2).
    • Update grub (again) and reboot. The system (by default) should now boot into the new-old kernel

• GUI: Change the standards for picking up updates back to stable. Exclude both community and pre-release. [GUI: System->Update Management-> Settings]
    • CLI: update apt again, then reboot. I'm not sure the reboot is needed here, but that's what I did, so I'm documenting it.

Code
    # apt update
    # reboot

• CLI: install virtualbox and reboot.
    Code
    # apt-get install openmediavault-virtualbox
    # reboot

That's it! After that, the vboxmanage tool works in the CLI, the VirtualBox plugin appears in the openmediavault GUI and the PHPvirtualbox works perfectly right out of the box. My "admin" password was the same as the password for the OMV GUI. This is different from a lot of the VirtualBox documentation that says the default password will be "admin," so don't freak out when it already knows "open sesame."

I apologize for the wayward manner in which the code segments got inserted into this posting. I couldn't figure out how to make them "work" in anything resembling an "intuitive" way and the "delete" and "backspace" keys were causing rampant formatting changes and the code segments to switch paragraphs, disappear, and all sorts of confusion for me. I'm not very good at all this GUI stuff.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ala.frosty () aus folgendem Grund: There was a bug fix that renders this post moot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry you went through all that pain but reverting back to the 4.9 kernel is not necessary. You do need to make sure backports (button to do that in omv-extras) are enabled to get the latest virtualbox package that is compatible with the 4.18 kernel. You also don't need to enable the community and pre-release checkboxes (these are for the omv repo only). So, what I would recommend is:

install OMV 4
    fully update
    install omv-extras
    enable backports
    make sure everything is up to date (click apt clean button in omv-extras)
    install virtualbox plugin from the web interface

I have done this exact procedure many times.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know you've done that procedure many times as I've read a lot of your truly excellent and deeply knowledgeable posts on this topic. I have also performed EXACTLY that procedure over and over and over again (varying hardware and tweaks to order of updates, etc.) with zero success with my hardware (Intel E8500 on an Asus P5Q pro board booting from an SSD on an IDE ExpressGate port). I have no idea what it is about my config that makes this procedure not work, but I absolutely promise you that it doesn't work for mine. I've read a lot of other posts about how people couldn't make that install protocol work either. So many attempts and so much #fail. Every time I went through it again, I would think "Maybe this is the secret tweak that'll make it work" but no love. I'm entirely sure that install method works on 99.9% of hardware, but it really doesn't work on mine!

For those that can't make the "working" protocol actually work, this (finally) worked for me.

• @ryecoaaron

So, just to see the state of "things" in "that doesn't work land" I went and bought another computer today. After a fresh OMV4 install, installing OMV-extras, enabling backports and clicking apt-clean, here's what my "OMV-Extras' looks like. I'm not sure if this matters, but the "OMV-Extras" was NOT in the default list of plugins on the 4.1.3 DVD and I had to download it from omv-extras.org.

So, then I attempted to install openmediavault-VirtualBox from the command line because that's what a boss would succeed at. And here's the lack of love to which I am accustomed.

The Virtual Box install used to show up in the OMV-Plugins, but hasn't recently. If you download the "OMV-Extras" for version 4, today (74k), I think you'll discover this, too.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ala.frosty () aus folgendem Grund: OMV-Plugins not OMV-Extras

• Also of interest (perhaps):

Both of the "Backports" "traffic lights" are lit up on the dropdown.

But when I click on "Enable backports" the interface seems to indicate that it's doing some work.

And afterward, both enable/disable backports remain lit-up. I've only ever seen it this way, so I have no idea if that's normal or not.

• Code
    # dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii  openmediavault                   4.1.13-1                       all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring           1.0                            all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg      4.1.13                         all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure if this matters, but the "OMV-Extras" was NOT in the default list of plugins on the 4.1.3 DVD and I had to download it from omv-extras.org.

That is correct. omv-extras has never been included with any official OMV release. It is on the OMV arm images because we build those.

Both of the "Backports" "traffic lights" are lit up on the dropdown.

They aren't lights. Just icons that I picked to differentiate between them. They don't indicate status. Sorry, my creativity is not good :)

The Virtual Box install used to show up in the OMV-Extras, but hasn't recently. If you download the "OMV-Extras" for version 4, today (74k), I think you'll discover this, too

If you ever want to know if a plugin is in the repo, look here - https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis. The virtualbox plugin has never been out of the repo. Now that I think you have the omv-extras bintray repo added, what is the output of: apt-cache policy openmediavault-virtualbox

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• For this (attempted) build, I did everything from scratch: downloading OMV4.1, burning a new DVD, downloading OMV-extras and I didn't do anything other than "update-grub" before the updates and probably more reboots than needed. Other than that, I've stuck rigidly to the script.

Code
    # apt-cache policy openmediavault-virtualbox
    openmediavault-virtualbox:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 4.1
      Version table:
         4.1 500
            500 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis stretch/main amd64 Packages
         4.0 500
            500 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis stretch/main amd64 Packages
    • Offizieller Beitrag

That looks perfect. Can you post the output of: apt-cache policy virtualbox now

• Having done this install a whole bunch, I've seen that "httpredir" in the sources with all of the installs I've done. I always pick the "debian.org" selection at the top of the mirrors list.

Code
    # apt-cache policy virtualbox
    virtualbox:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 5.2.18-dfsg-2~bpo9+1
      Version table:
         5.2.18-dfsg-2~bpo9+1 500
            100 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports/contrib amd64 Packages
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I've seen that "httpredir" in the sources with all of the installs I've done. I always pick the "debian.org" selection at the top of the mirrors list.

That is fine. It will just try to select the mirror closest to you.

Your output of apt-cache looks good. You shouldn't have any problems installing the plugin based on the output of those two commands.

• See below. The installation fails due to "you have held broken packages." The only way I've successfully gotten around this is by reverting to the older kernel. And I have tried a LOT of things to get through it. I probably should've documented it all, but at the outset, I haven't had issues like this with OMV before, so I thought I could just resolve the dependencies and power-through. I was wrong!

• I have the same problem, looks like there is something wrong with the version number of phpvirtualbox Candidate: Candidate: 5.2-1, It must be 5.2.1

i3,16gb,4x4 2,5inch 4TB=16TB

Instant Human :sleeping: , Just Add Coffee :thumbup: !

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is my fault. I didn't realize the Debian package system would think 5.2-0-1 is greater than 5.2-1. 4.1.1 is in the repo to fix this now.

• I tried a fresh install again. On the first go 'round the whole update process was broken and tanked the OS pretty completely. That might've been a user error or something because when I gave up and tried another fresh install, about an hour later, the install worked fine all the way through the VirtualBox install.

4.1.1 is in the repo to fix this now.

I think it's fair to say that this is properly fixed and appears to work, including the PhpVirtualBox login. Thank you very much for sticking with me, here, @ryecoaaron! Much appreciated.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!