Built-in backup fails

• Hi all,

I use the biult-in backup function to backup OMV to a local folder, which is located on the local array.
    The backup fails with the following error messages. As far as I can see it fails to copy tmp files that are in use.
    What can I try to solve the problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't backup /tmp.

It is very difficult to correctly fully backup a live root filesystem.

The best way may be to boot from other media and run a backup on the filesystem when it is not live.

It would be great if OMV added some functionality so that you can set a flag somewhere and reboot. And during the reboot a clean full snapshot of the root filesystem is created. Or restored.

• Yes, I agree to not backup tmp files or folders.
    But in this case there is nothing I could do about it. Deselecting it for example.
    Because the built-in backup in OMV GUI has just one button stating "Start".
    So I consider this function pretty useless, isn't it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would be great if OMV added some functionality so that you can set a flag somewhere and reboot. And during the reboot a clean full snapshot of the root filesystem is created. Or restored.

This would require the OS filesystem to be btrfs or on LVM or something with snapshots. I suggested this a long time ago. You can install OMV with the Debian ISO and use btrfs for the OS filesystem (like some of the arm images). Then you could manually use snapshots like you mention.

So I consider this function pretty useless, isn't it?

dd isn't the best option of the backup plugin (left for legacy reasons). I suggest fsarchiver. If you still have the same problem, the rsync option allows you to exclude directories. That said, I have never run into an issue with /tmp with any of the backup options.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!