what is taking up so much space on the boot drive?

• i really wish i knew what was taking up the space in the OMV system drive. in windows i could use windirstat and find out what was taking up the space. is there any way to see what is taking up so much space and see if any of it is safe to delete?

• Offizieller Beitrag

As root:

du -d1 -h -x / | sort -h

This will show you the folders in the root directory that are using the most space. If you want to see more in the most used folder (/var for instance), then:

du -d1 -h -x /var/ | sort -h

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• so it appears its docker causing the huge increase. /var/lib/docker/overlay2 is the largest folder. so unless i figure out how (noobie here in linux) to move docker and and all it contains to a new drive it looks like i may be rebuilding my OMV server. i appreciate the knowledge... it will help if i have to rebuild

• so it appears its docker causing the huge increase. /var/lib/docker/overlay2 is the largest folder. so unless i figure out how (noobie here in linux) to move docker and and all it contains to a new drive it looks like i may be rebuilding my OMV server. i appreciate the knowledge... it will help if i have to rebuild

In the Docker plugin Settings tab you can change the location of the Docker base path (this setting is optional and defaults to /var/lib/docker if unset). Point it to a Shared Folder on a drive other than your system drive. Also, it will be required that the target drive be mounted exec (noexec is the default). Search the forum for how to do that.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• hello @gderf thanks for the help and sorry for bouncing and asking too many questions all over the place. so i did some research, as i am a noob, and found to make a drive exec was to remove noexec from the /etc/fstab file. i did that and rebooted. is that all i had to do for that part?

now for the first part of your above suggestion. on the drive that i removed the noexec from, i created a folder called "docker". i am assuming from your explanation that all i do is go into the docker settings and hit the dropdown box and delect my "docker" shared folder correct? is that it? will all the files just auto-magically move and my system drive will get all that space back? i am guessing there is more than just selecting a folder in a dropdown box

• so it looks like my impatience stung me again. i clicked the dropdown box and chose the docker folder i created and applied the settings and all my containers and images disappeared. none of my apps like plex are running and i just dont know what havoc my impatience caused me.

looks like i will be rebuilding afterall :( serves me right

• hello @gderf thanks for the help and sorry for bouncing and asking too many questions all over the place. so i did some research, as i am a noob, and found to make a drive exec was to remove noexec from the /etc/fstab file. i did that and rebooted. is that all i had to do for that part?

now for the first part of your above suggestion. on the drive that i removed the noexec from, i created a folder called "docker". i am assuming from your explanation that all i do is go into the docker settings and hit the dropdown box and delect my "docker" shared folder correct? is that it? will all the files just auto-magically move and my system drive will get all that space back? i am guessing there is more than just selecting a folder in a dropdown box

That edit you made to /etc/fstab will not be permanent. There are various things within OMV that will regenerate that file returning it the default noexec setting which will break all your dockers.

The two additional steps you need to do (working from memory so I can not provide exact instructions) involve editing OMV's config.xml file to make a similar set of changes in the mtent/fstab areas, and then manually regenerating fstab. Then to change the default behavior so that any new drives you add later will be set exec, you need to add/edit an OMV Environment variable. All of the details how to do this are scattered about the forum. It would be nce if a comprehensive guide could be written though, if it doesn't already exist.

That "docker" folder you created for this purpose must have been created as a Shared Folder within OMV. You can create that Shared Folder in the Docker Settings tab by hitting the + button. After the Shared Folder is created you can select it from the drop down box. Once the changes have been saved and applied the dockers will be moved to the new location.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• i checked the edit in the fstab and it still held. so on a hunch i switched the dropdown box back to none and all my containers came back and my apps are running. obviously i still have the running out of space issues on my system drive but everything is back

i know you kinda slapped my wrists for too many posts all over the place, but since you admittedly said there are no actual guides to doing what i am trying to do. do you think it would make sense for me to ask for a guide? i will run out of space soon for sure in my current configuration

• You could try copying /var/lib/docker to the Shared folder you created and try switching to that folder again in the plugin. If it worked you can delete /var/lib/docker

As I said, your manual edit made to fstab will sooner or later be undone.

Do the following to prevent this - MAKE BACKUP COPIES OF THE FILES BEFORE YOU CHANGE THEM

1) Edit /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to replace noexec with exec in the <fstab> <mntent> sections. Then as root run omv-mkconf fstab

2) Edit /etc/default/openmediavault and edit the line containing the OMV_FSTAB_MNTOPS_EXT4 variable changing noexec to exec. If the variable is entirely absent you can add the line in:

OMV_FSTAB_MNTOPS_EXT4="defaults,nofail,user_xattr,exec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0"

Then as root run: omv-mkconf collectd && monit restart collectd

--

• THANK YOU!!!! it took a little bit of high anxiety but i was able to move docker from the system drive to my other drive. i really do appreciate your time and patience. i think you have the beginnings to a guide on the subject if needed cause the steps worked

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!