recommendations please...seems i need to rebuild my server thanks to docker

• Hello all,
    OMV and Linux noobie here. I have built OMV and i like it alot but realized that after a week of running that i messed up the install and most likely will need to rebuild from scratch. luckily i built the server as a VM on my ESXi server, so rebuilding is not a horrible task. So before i do, i am looking for some recommendations please. here is what i did and why i need to rebuild....

so i was told that OMV did not need a huge boot drive, so when i built the VM i gave the VM two drives. one 8GB and the other is 120GB. i installed OMV to the 8GB one and called it a day. while watching Techno Dad Life videos i was inspired to install OMV Extras and the docker plugin. which i did following the videos since i am a noob. i then installed some dockers that i wanted to use on the server (plex/ombi/heimdall/Xteve/handbrake/tautulli/liebresonic/portainer/watchtower) and got them all working fine. that when i noticed that i had less 2GBs left on the boot drive. so calculating that in less than a week i almost filled the boot drive i knew i would have an issue in the future. after doing my research i realized it was docker causing the issues.

so i have come to the conclusion that i need to rebuild to avoid a future disaster. so i was looking for some help and recommendations....

1) what is a good recommended size for a system drive for OMV taking in account future growth (which i know no one can predict) especially with docker taking up so much space

2) can docker and all its contents be installed anywhere other than the system drive? i may have missed that when i set it up the first time. if it can, then the size of the system drive MAY not matter.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or recommendations you may have

• Before starting a new thread you should read the replies to your existing thread. The answer to question 2) is there.

My OMV system drive is a 16GB Samsung SSD with a little over 7GB of it used. I have three years of OMV use on that drive and I can not foresee any reason to have a larger drive even though I use that machine for much more than just OMV, which is currently running 14 dockers. It is getting difficult to find drives this small, but they can still be found used on ebay.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!