Speed Transfer, Very slow

• Hello,

Well I guess I have been having slow transfer speed since I installed OMV on a spare computer I had, one year ago. Btw this is my first server, so I have been learning during the process.

Okay, so now I learned that my speed transfer should have been better and I have been reading for then last two days how to check this, like how to tune up samba, enable samba2, kernels, learned how to use iperf, etc.
    What I know is the cable going to my server is Cat5 so I ordered a cat6, after learning that this makes a huge difference. I should be getting this next week, if I don't find it at a computer store this weekend.

However, iperf gives me this reading:
    NIC Card on server is a Realtek 8111C Gigabit Lan
    Cat5 cable

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920@ 2.67GHz
    Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Code
    Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [  4] local 192.168.2.17 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.14 port 59487
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]  0.0-10.3 sec  11.6 MBytes  9.47 Mbits/sec

Which I think it is very slow for a Cat5 still. Am I wrong??
    When I am transferring, the cpu usage never goes above 15%
    when I get the CAt6 one, hopefully I get a better reading.

I saw on another forum that the TCP may affect this too. But how do I check this?

So I have been transferring big files from my PC to the server and it get 1.3 MB/s , which it is painfully slow. Never goes more than that, no matter what I have tried..... and this is what made look into this speed issue.

any inputs would be appreciated.

• ok I have an update.

I called the ISP and after testing, with speed test, I realized that wifi download speed is like around 36 Mbps and my wired desktop is 10 Mbps.

I guess it has to be my equipment. Btw I have a pretty long cat5 wired to my PC, so I am not sure if this is a factor. I ordered a cat6 though.

Edit:
    on my PC, I only get the orange color on the NIC... no green light :/
    the server it does have green and orange

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. I guess it has to be my equipment. Btw I have a pretty long cat5 wired to my PC, so I am not sure if this is a factor. I ordered a cat6 though.
    2. on my PC, I only get the orange color on the NIC... no green light

1. Yes, depends on the distance, but Cat6 won't resolve that.
    2. Network cable, ip address, general network connectivity.

• 1. Yes, depends on the distance, but Cat6 won't resolve that.2. Network cable, ip address, general network connectivity.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that I haven't had this issue with my desktop PC before, so I guess I will have to install a fresh operation system, after 4 years. I guess I have a lot of conflicts up to now.

• I feel so dumb, first of all, for no reason my NIC configuration changed it link speed to 10Mbps, si Ichanged it to 100Mbps because I hade a car5 cable.
    Then I got a Cat5e cable and now I changed the link speed to 1 gbps and I can see the bump in speed now...

Looking to get a NIC with 10 gbps at some point with cat6 cables.

I didn't know all of these until this last weekend lol. sorry for opening a thread for something dumb like this

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't know all of these until this last weekend lol. sorry for opening a thread for something dumb like this

It's not dumb, it's asking for someone else's perspective, I had a similar issue, connection to server suddenly went slow having jumped through a few hoops turned out to be my Ethernet cable -> why? who knows, the only difference, the one I pulled was ready made, the one I used I made.

• It's not dumb, it's asking for someone else's perspective, I had a similar issue, connection to server suddenly went slow having jumped through a few hoops turned out to be my Ethernet cable -> why? who knows, the only difference, the one I pulled was ready made, the one I used I made.

Thanks for your comment. You are right, with these kind of things, could be any source, even small things like a cable.
    cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!