Speed Transfer, Very slow

• Speed Transfer, Very slow

Hello,

Well I guess I have been having slow transfer speed since I installed OMV on a spare computer I had, one year ago. Btw this is my first server, so I have been learning during the process.

Okay, so now I learned that my speed transfer should have been better and I have been reading for then last two days how to check this, like how to tune up samba, enable samba2, kernels, learned how to use iperf, etc.
      What I know is the cable going to my server is Cat5 so I ordered a cat6, after learning that this makes a huge difference. I should be getting this next week, if I don't find it at a computer store this weekend.

However, iperf gives me this reading:
      NIC Card on server is a Realtek 8111C Gigabit Lan
      Cat5 cable

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920@ 2.67GHz
      Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

Brainfuck Source Code

1. Server listening on TCP port 5001
      2. TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
      3. ------------------------------------------------------------
      4. [ 4] local 192.168.2.17 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.14 port 59487
      5. [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
      6. [ 4] 0.0-10.3 sec 11.6 MBytes 9.47 Mbits/sec

Which I think it is very slow for a Cat5 still. Am I wrong??
      When I am transferring, the cpu usage never goes above 15%
      when I get the CAt6 one, hopefully I get a better reading.

I saw on another forum that the TCP may affect this too. But how do I check this?

So I have been transferring big files from my PC to the server and it get 1.3 MB/s , which it is painfully slow. Never goes more than that, no matter what I have tried..... and this is what made look into this speed issue.

any inputs would be appreciated.

The post was edited 2 times, last by bad_boo ().

• ok I have an update.

I called the ISP and after testing, with speed test, I realized that wifi download speed is like around 36 Mbps and my wired desktop is 10 Mbps.

I guess it has to be my equipment. Btw I have a pretty long cat5 wired to my PC, so I am not sure if this is a factor. I ordered a cat6 though.

Edit:
      on my PC, I only get the orange color on the NIC... no green light :/
      the server it does have green and orange

The post was edited 1 time, last by bad_boo ().

• bad_boo wrote:

1. I guess it has to be my equipment. Btw I have a pretty long cat5 wired to my PC, so I am not sure if this is a factor. I ordered a cat6 though.
      2. on my PC, I only get the orange color on the NIC... no green light
      1. Yes, depends on the distance, but Cat6 won't resolve that.
      2. Network cable, ip address, general network connectivity.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • geaves wrote:

bad_boo wrote:

1. I guess it has to be my equipment. Btw I have a pretty long cat5 wired to my PC, so I am not sure if this is a factor. I ordered a cat6 though.
      2. on my PC, I only get the orange color on the NIC... no green light
      1. Yes, depends on the distance, but Cat6 won't resolve that.2. Network cable, ip address, general network connectivity.
      Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that I haven't had this issue with my desktop PC before, so I guess I will have to install a fresh operation system, after 4 years. I guess I have a lot of conflicts up to now.
    • I feel so dumb, first of all, for no reason my NIC configuration changed it link speed to 10Mbps, si Ichanged it to 100Mbps because I hade a car5 cable.
      Then I got a Cat5e cable and now I changed the link speed to 1 gbps and I can see the bump in speed now...

Looking to get a NIC with 10 gbps at some point with cat6 cables.

I didn't know all of these until this last weekend lol. sorry for opening a thread for something dumb like this
    • bad_boo wrote:

I didn't know all of these until this last weekend lol. sorry for opening a thread for something dumb like this
      It's not dumb, it's asking for someone else's perspective, I had a similar issue, connection to server suddenly went slow having jumped through a few hoops turned out to be my Ethernet cable -> why? who knows, the only difference, the one I pulled was ready made, the one I used I made.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • geaves wrote:

bad_boo wrote:

It's not dumb, it's asking for someone else's perspective, I had a similar issue, connection to server suddenly went slow having jumped through a few hoops turned out to be my Ethernet cable -> why? who knows, the only difference, the one I pulled was ready made, the one I used I made.
      Thanks for your comment. You are right, with these kind of things, could be any source, even small things like a cable.
      cheers