Proposed NAS setup

• Hi, I am in the process of setting up a home nas server. I am at this stage leaning towards a system with 3 x 3tb nas hdd. I am thinking about using snapraid on openmediavault. This doesn't have to a complicated build as I will be only be storing media, music, photo's and general documents. I am thinking about using an old core2duo in a server case that I have spare. My only question is whether I should put in a raid controller card to help my setup or is this overkill? I will use a cheap controller as I'm not planning to build 100tb project.Thanks for any help.Cheers

• Considering the Core 2 Duo doesn't support SATA 6Gbps, it might be worth investing in a cheap 4-port PCIe SATA controller. However, you're still likely to hit a bottleneck, as unless you have a P45 chipset or something more recent, you won't have PCIe 2.0, so the SATA card would then be bottlenecked.

At least all Core 2 Duo compatible chipsets will have SATA 3Gbps and it might not be enough of a bottleneck in this case, since you'll be limited to Gigabit Ethernet.

Some more information on what motherboard you have would help to make better suggestions.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• The Drobo's are terrible in terms of performance.
    Having used one of the "big brand" NASes for a few years, I'm much happier with OMV, as there are constant updates, something you don't get from the big brands, instead they bundles the updates and release them as and when they feel like it.
    What you have would work fine for what you want to do though.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• You can do better than Drobo. Are you capable of building a machine or do you need one prebuilt?

Zitat

The Drobo was initially criticized for lacking an Ethernet port,[16] preventing it from being used as a self-contained NAS appliance. These complaints have been addressed with the release of the DroboShare physical add-on, and the release of the Drobo FS and DroboPro FS, Drobo 5N dedicated NAS versions.
    Some reviewers complained about speed and reliability issues of the 2nd generation Drobo when connected to a Windows PC using FireWire 800.[17]
    One criticism stands even with the latest generation of Drobos. The "Drobo death spiral" shows that the Drobo itself is the single point of failure for customers owning only a single unit. Its disks use the proprietary Drobo format and hence cannot be mounted or read on any other system.[18] In contrast, other vendors might use data on disk via mdadm and the ext2 / ext3 / ext4 file system formats,[19] which might be accessed on any other Linux system.
    Like all hardware RAID systems, Drobo units format disks in a proprietary way that cannot be mounted or read on any other system,[20] though data recovery is possible from a professional data recovery service.[citation needed] Users with failed Drobo units can recover saved data using another Drobo, as Drobo maintains backwards compatibility with different versions of their proprietary format.[21]

• Thanks for the reply Intermediate. I have ordered the QNAP TS-431P 4 Bay Diskless NAS and 3 2tb wd red drives.
    Cheers

Well, then you have to use their OS, not OMV. QNAP isn't terrible, they have a fancy UI and they're fairly easy to use, but you lose a lot of control and they're known to have a lot of software issues. They've also been quite sloppy with patching security problems properly. They're still one of the top choices for pre-built NASes though and the size is obviously going to be smaller than anything you can currently build yourself.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Core2duo was not a bad candidate, IMO, even when compared to a QNAP. Unless you're getting high RPM enterprise drives, 3GB/s ports on an old RAID controller (that can do JDOB) would be fine. Most spinning consumer drives, rated for 6GB/s, only run that high when emptying their cache (for a few msec's). Then they settle down to a sustainable read rate which is usually below 3GB/s.

Basically, I agree with everyone in that I believe you'd be happier, in the long run, with what you can do with OMV versus a QNAP. (That's hard to know in advance. :) ) While they're ready made, the problem with commercial products are their quirks never seem to be resolved and their supported life span is short. (After they're sold, they're yesterdays newspaper. The OEM wants to move on and sell their latest and greatest.) With a home built OMV box, you'll not only save money, you'll have several options and longevity. You can update easily and there are add-on's galore - especially if you take the time to work with Dockers. With Dockers, there's something for everyone.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!