Computer won't connect

• I have just built an OMV system on a raspberry pi 3 with a 4TB USB drive, but I am struggling to get my Windows 10 system to connect to it.
    I have read and followed the guide on Windows 10 HOW TO page, the SMB keys in the registry and done everything it said except modify the hosts file, which it wouldn't let me do because someone else was using it, though it did state that wasn't absolutely necessary.
    I can access the control panel from the Windows machine using \\ComputerName. I have created a shortcut as suggested and this appears to respond, though claiming "this folder is empty".
    Pointing that at a non-existant IP address causes it to open a Windows Explorer window which just hangs.
    Yet attempting to connect using 'map network drive' has variously gone immediate to the pop up stating "windows cannot access \\ComputerName", offering a button to Diagnose and to present a login window requesting user name and password that already has the red text along the bottom stating that user ID or password is incorrect. Entering a valid user ID and password has no success.
    So I am beginning to believe the problem lies in the OMV set up. I have been through it to check anything that might be wrong.
    Under Share Folders. I have the relative path as / as I want to grant access to the full drive.
    The only other thing I can see is on SMB/CIFS where under Home Directories, I cannot set the enable, attempts to do this give the error below:-

Error #0:
    OMV\ConstraintException: Can't share user home directories because they are not enabled. in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smb.inc:85
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSmb->setSettings(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('SMB', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Is this what is causing the problem, and if so, what do I need to fix it. Otherwise, does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Take a look at this guide. Start with a new shared folder on page 46. (Follow the example as it is.) When it's complete, cross check your server short cut, and make sure it's setup according to the Win10 How-To.
    (Note: The IP address you enter in your short cut should be the IP address for your server. An example for statically setting the IP address for your server is in the guide, starting on page 36.)

You should see your new share in the short cut, be able to copy files into the share, etc.

• Thanks for that guidance, it includes things that were not in the instructions I found when initially setting thing up.
    However, I reached the section on setup. The USB drive I am using is formatted in NTFS and already contains a lot of backed up data, which I would like to preserve. I have read the thread on that and need to do some further research in that direction.
    I have a busy day today, so probably won't have time to complete this, the guide you suggest is very useful, so thanks for that.
    I will get back in a couple of days if I still have problems.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!