File managing within network to server

• Hello everybody.
    I am a newbie here, and I was looking for information about what kind of tools I have to move files within the network to the server. I mean, I want to send files stored in a computer to a folder in the server. What tools do I have available? Beside shared folders through SMB or NFS.
    Is there any tool that allow me to download any future file directly there? Could be something similar to jDownloader or else.
    Sorry if they are too simple questions
    TIA

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure what you are asking.

The major tools I use are rsync and Midnight Commander. Besides scrapers, renamers, organizers and taggers like TinyMediaManager and Picard MusikBrainz, calibre or Emby. Along with cron and some custom scripts for backups.

I'm a Linux user. So mostly I use NFS4. But for some Android devices also SMB/CIFS. FolderSync, SSH-helper and EZ FileManager are used in Android. Along with various apps for media consumption.

I have a multiroom speaker setup based on the venerable Logitech Media Server with original Squeezeboxes along with newer Volumio and PiCorePlayer clients.

I connect my 5 small SBCs to each other with NFS4 and autofs. Completely outside OMV. Also to an old Synology NAS used only for backups. Using NFS4 traffic between the boxes is fast and easily saturate a GbE connection in sustained transfers of big files. I have the SBCs on a book shelf, connected to the same GbE switch with 25 cm CAT6 cables. I have found autofs very reliable and stable, if a bit fiddly to set up. It allows the HDDs to spin down and up as needed and connections to drop or be reestablished between the boxes automatically.

The rest of the home network is over 5GHz WiFi using a 3-node Asus Lyra mesh along with a parallel 2.4GHz WiFi network over GL-AR150 boxes used for local IoT type connections. Internet is via a small openwrt GL-AR300 router configured to bridge between the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz WiFi and to share internet from my 4G phone over the network, when available.

• Really helpful answer. Nice tools by the way. I am a Linux user too(as my main OS) but was trying to move some files collection I have on a computer(Win7) to the server over the network. Windows transfers sucks. Do you think there is anything I can use as a service to download files like jDownloader? I am using the downloader plugin and it literally flies but I would like to test some downloads like jDownloader. Thanks for the answer!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I connect my 5 small SBCs to each other with NFS4 and autofs. Completely outside OMV. Also to an old Synology NAS used only for backups. Using NFS4 traffic between the boxes is fast and easily saturate a GbE connection in sustained transfers of big files. I have the SBCs on a book shelf, connected to the same GbE switch with 25 cm CAT6 cables. I have found autofs very reliable and stable, if a bit fiddly to set up. It allows the HDDs to spin down and up as needed and connections to drop or be reestablished between the boxes automatically.

So, your SBC's setup, what are they exactly? SBC-single drive combo's, networked together in a sort of storage matrix?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nothing exotic.

One HC2 with armbian as "ctrl" with a SSD that run Emby, LMS and some other automation software. Node-Red, mqqt broker. It serves media from nas1-nas2. Underutilized at the moment...

Two HC2 with OMV as nas1 and nas2 with 12 TB Ironwolf HDDs. The actual storage. Video, music, books and so on. Also storage for backup snapshots of clients. Also backup important folders from each other. Scripts are run from cron.

Two HC2 with OMV as nas3 and nas4 with 8 TB Archive SMR HDDs. Stores and creates versioned rsync snapshots of selected folders on nas1 and nas2. Scripts are run from cron.

Also an old Synology NAS with backups of all rootfs and important files. Usually turned off.

But no networked distributed fs. Just nfs4 and ext4. And all mount all the other using autofs. And all connected to the same GbE switch.

When I want to expand, in the future, may put a big HDD in ctrl and rename it to nas0. And get a newer SBC as new ctrl. And add nas5, nas6 and so on.

Since the 16-port switch has a 32Gbps internal bandwith the total theoretical bandwidth between the SBCs will increase for quite a while if I add more SBCs.

My setup is a little like a pyramid. Access via ctrl on the top. Then storage for ctrl below on the next tier on nas1 and nas2. Then below that nas3, nas4 and the old Synology 411j for backups of the tiers above. But even if it can be seen as three levels everything is accessible from everywhere.

I miss the ability to cache nfs in ctrl. But that will be available next kernel release for armbian. Also SBCs with SATA and NVMe would have been nice to cache the spinning HDD and nfs on a NVMe SSD. But I suspect that will be old hat for high end SBCs soon.

I'm considering using some form of centralized script manager to launch scripts to run on the different nodes. But so far the added complexity of a new app outweighs the need to manage cron jobs and scripts on nas3 and nas4. But it might be fun with a central script/job manager...

What I got is extreme overkill for what I need. I like to fiddle and automate and this set up allows me to do that. And it all blinks very nice in my bookshelf. Especially at night... :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!