Installing OMV on Ubuntu

• If it can help, here how I managed to have openmediavault installed and started on Ubuntu 12.04 (in a virtual machine in Virtual Box)

First, I got the 'scponly' package, deleted from the Ubuntu repository, on a Debian or Openmediavault machine

Code
    apt-get -d –reinstall install scponly

Take the .deb file in /var/cache/apt/archives and put it on the Ubuntu machine

There are some packages to install from a fresh Ubuntu install. From a root terminal :

Code
    apt-get install git
    apt-get install fakeroot
    apt-get install debhelper
    apt-get install quilt
    apt-get install php5-dev
    apt-get install re2c
    apt-get install libpam0g-dev
    apt-get install gdebi
    apt-get install php-cgi
    apt-get install php-cli

I took source code from here http://code.google.com/p/omv-ubuntu/source/checkout, the author claiming it is an adapted repository for Ubuntu. To get the source files :

Code
    git clone https://code.google.com/p/omv-ubuntu/

I experienced the problem told by johnnytruant here http://forums.openmediavault.o…t=7&p=11&hilit=wheezy#p11
    I had to correct some scripts in source files : replace '&lt ;' and '&gt ;' with '<' and '>'.
    Go into the root folder of the cloned source with git and find these files with :

Code
    find . -exec fgrep '&lt;Plugin' {} \ ; -print
    find . -exec fgrep '&lt;VirtualHost' {} \ ; -print

Having corrected some files, I ran these commands from the 'deb' folder (I made a script) :

I did not installed yet the others plug-in packages

I will tell how things will go as I will test and use this.

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "bootleg"

Thank you for the massive work you've done that. I've been hoping someone can get OMV running on Ubuntu as I prefer that flavor.

I don't know the ins and outs of Linux programming of course, but I think OMV would have been far better being based on Ubuntu Server, as opposed to Debian (although I do like Debian as a desktop).

• Hi fpabernard

I know it's been a while but how did you get on with installing OMV on an Ubuntu Server?

I've been looking at XBMC headless server - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132919&page=30 and have ran into loads of issues trying to install it on OMV, managed to get the Percona flavour of MYSQL installed by installing the individual debs but don't fancy doing that again.

Looking forward to an update - if you have one

• Any news? I will try to install openmediavault on a yavdr (ubuntu 12 Lts) machine...

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• OpenMediaVault is designed to be used with Debian, not Ubuntu, and Volker won't adapt it to Ubuntu. If someone wants to fork it to Ubuntu, feel free to do so.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• i know that omv is for debian. but i need a solution for a tv server. the vdr plugin is nothing for me and
    tvheadend dont run on squeeze. omv 1.0 is so far away. i dont hope omv 1.0 comes after the jessie release....

yes i know: its done when its done....

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• Offizieller Beitrag

You would have better luck with OMV 0.5 on Wheezy than OMV on Ubuntu.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I prefer clean ubuntu-server but miss the GUI to make the conf though.
    I do not use all the function in openmediavault eighter.

What i need for my owncloud,xbmc server and plexserver is ZFS, bonding of interfaces and a lot of storage.

Some will be locally and some will be mounted.

As long it is working you do not need a GUI

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I guess you prefer half a day to set things up too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Half a day?

I can set up Ubuntu Server w/o a GUI, to run all the services I have on my OMV box, in a little over an hour. Now, the GUI is a lot faster of course, but doing it from command line is not a "half a day" job.

• I guess your setup is not as advanced as mine. There is no way you could setup everything I run in an hour.

Plex
    MySQL
    Hylafax
    SMB/CIFS
    OpenVPN
    VirtualBox
    Cups
    Nut
    ownCloud
    TransmissionBT
    PassiveProFTP
    CrashPlan
    Greyhole
    Firewall on and proper rules for given services

This is not everything even. If you can do this in a hour put it on video. No using configs from prior installations either. In fact if you want to go head to head and get you ass kicked be my guest. OMV is the best!!! I can do this all in less than an hour on OMV. I'd be curious to see you 2 just install ownCloud successfully.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!