Remote Access to Samba shares

• Hi, I'm a bit of Linux beginner.
    Only started with it a few months back, using a RPI to stream content over my network through DLNA, so nothing very complex.

I have a PI 3B+ running OMV 4, I have a SMB server configured and I'm trying to be able to access my files remotely. I looked for solutions online, however these seem to be ways to remotely access the OMV gui, which is not what I'm after. I have a VPN provider that supports OpenVPN and can provide me with a static IP.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

• So you're trying to stream from omv (rpi) to a TV over your local network? Then you don't need a VPN.
    If you're using DLNA then you need a DLNA server.
    Install the omv-extras repo for plugins and then install the openmediavault-minidlna plugin. That should allow you to serve media to DLNA clients.

• So you're trying to stream from omv (rpi) to a TV over your local network? Then you don't need a VPN.
    If you're using DLNA then you need a DLNA server.
    Install the omv-extras repo for plugins and then install the openmediavault-minidlna plugin. That should allow you to serve media to DLNA clients.

No, I've overexplained it. I already have MiniDlna running, alongside a SMB server. I use the SMB to host a variety of files, most of which aren't media. I'm trying to get access to the files on the SMB from outside of my LAN.

• Then you need a VPN. I have a VPN but it is configured on my router, not on OMV. Pretty sure it could be setup using OMV if you so desired. I see there's an OpenVPN plugin that you can install.

Sorry for the confusion.

Alternatively, if all you want to do is move some files, you could use FTP instead of SMB. Then you wouldn't need the VPN. You would just need to open the appropriate port on your firewall (recommend using something other than 21) and connect to the server from anywhere.

• Then you need a VPN. I have a VPN but it is configured on my router, not on OMV. Pretty sure it could be setup using OMV if you so desired. I see there's an OpenVPN plugin that you can install.

Sorry for the confusion.

Alternatively, if all you want to do is move some files, you could use FTP instead of SMB. Then you wouldn't need the VPN. You would just need to open the appropriate port on your firewall (recommend using something other than 21) and connect to the server from anywhere.

Right I've done some further research into the topic. The OpenVPN just needs some files loaded to it and it should work.

You mentioned you had a system setup although the VPN runs on your router. Once the VPN is configured, do you access the files by putting the IP address into a file explorer ?

• I have the VPN connection configured on my laptop and my phone. When the VPN connection is used, it is as though I were at home on my local network. I mostly use the VPN for doing remote administration and private web surfing while on other networks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!