Raspberry NAS for TimeMachine AND Storage

• Hi all,
    i'm completly new to this topic and i would like to setup my own NAS at home.

I have a Raspberry 3+ with 2 disk (4TB+4TB) and i would like to have the two mirrored as i don't need any versioning.
    It is possible with OMV to have one disk (4TB) partitioned 1.5TB for TimeMachine and 2.5TB for general storage and this full disk mirrored to the other one (just in case one disk dies)?

Thanks in advance.
    Fede :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

i would like to have the two mirrored as i don't need any versioning.

By mirrored, I hope you mean rsync because we highly recommend against using raid on an RPi or usb disks.

It is possible with OMV to have one disk (4TB) partitioned 1.5TB for TimeMachine and 2.5TB for general storage and this full disk mirrored to the other one (just in case one disk dies)?

You don't need partitions for this. Create two shared folders on each disk. Then create to rsync (or rsnapshot) jobs to sync the source disk to the destination disk.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• By "mirroring" i mean a full copy with all my files so in the case that the primary breaks i can easily replace it with another disk and have all my stuff back and running again. I don't care if i have to do some work when something breaks, i just want a FULL exact copy of the original drive. And yes, they are USB drives.
    Is rsync what i need or raid 1?

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH I didn't respond to this initially as I assumed you wanted to do a raid 1 on a on Pi which is a no no, just use rsync or rsnapshot, and I assume the drives have their own power supply.

So it's Source -> Destination and it's an exact copy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i don't need any versioning

Are you sure about this? If you make a mistake on one file, this error will mirrored to the second drive. No chance to recover the previous version.
    If you delete a file, it will be also deleted on the mirror (depending on the settings).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is rsync what i need or raid 1?

rsync is what you need. While you can tell it to less than a full copy, it can easily copy every file on the drive. And since you are using an RPi, you don't want raid.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm sure i don't need versioning, timemachine does it by itself and for the rest of the storage i don't want versioning. If i delete something i want that file to be gone. Thanks all for the help

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sure i don't need versioning, timemachine does it by itself and for the rest of the storage i don't want versioning. If i delete something i want that file to be gone. Thanks all for the help

While timemachine does do versioning, your mac has access to the share. That potentially means a virus (thinking crypto virus and yes, i know you have a mac) could corrupt the entire backup meaning your timemachine versioning is worthless. If you were using rsnapshot to sync the main drive to a second drive, you would have a share not accessible to any system on your network that had many different versions saving the day. Just my opinion as someone who has dealt with quite a few people hit by crypto virus badly using Windows versioned backup to a share on a NAS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!