Moving sensitive folder

• Hey

I've just setup my OMV today, with a working SMB Share, Nextcloud and Letsencrypt. Everything is working pretty well. OVM is the best NAS distro I've ever try yet. I have followed tutorials mostly, I am still learning everything.

My drives
    - 32go SSD
    - 120go HDD (for testing)

My filesystems

/dev/sda1 = SSD with ovm installation

/dev/sbd1 = HDD with 2 folders :

• AppData (with folder about Nextcloud and Lets)
    • Nextcloud (data)

Now I would like to remove my 120go HDD and replace it with a Raid array.

My questions :

• Can I move the content of sdb1 to the new disk and "relink" everything ? Or should I redo everything ?
    • Should I put the AppData folder on the main SSD ?

Any help appreciate. Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now I would like to remove my 120go HDD and replace it with a Raid array.

Please dig a bit if you really need RAID. Search the forum for "RAID is not backup". Search including the quotes

Can I move the content of sdb1 to the new disk and "relink" everything ? Or should I redo everything ?

Yes. You need to remove the shared folders in OMV (only the share, not the content). Then unmount the drive, to make sure there are no share remaining and to remove the drive from the database of OMV. Then copy the data from one drive to the other. Final step is to create the new shares pointing to the existing folders on the new drive.

• Please dig a bit if you really need RAID. Search the forum for "RAID is not backup". Search including the quote

I think I need RAID only for my daily use folder, with my sync working files and assets (for video production). I need a great disponibility on that so I am gonna try RAID.

But I will have a full copy of my OMV server, I just don't know how yet, USB or online, but I don't think CrashPlan works very good on headless machine, that's a shame. And B2-like solution is overpriced for me.

Yes. You need to remove the shared folders in OMV (only the share, not the content). Then unmount the drive, to make sure there are no share remaining and to remove the drive from the database of OMV. Then copy the data from one drive to the other. Final step is to create the new shares pointing to the existing folders on the new drive.

That seems doable even for me, thanks a lot !

> What about having this "AppData" folder on my 32GB SDD (it's a slow one : 30 r/w MB/s), would it be more logical or efficient in any way ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB or online, but I don't think CrashPlan works very good on headless machine, that's a shame. And B2-like solution is overpriced for me.

I used CrashPlan for some years on a headless server. Worked quite well. But now they changed their business model.
    I use Duplicati to backup to pCloud via WebDAB. But Duplicati works also with lots of other providers.

> What about having this "AppData" folder on my 32GB SDD (it's a slow one : 30 r/w MB/s), would it be more logical or efficient in any way ?

If you have your "AppData" on the SDD and it is working for you, it should be fine to keep it there if the capacity is enough.

• Yes. You need to remove the shared folders in OMV (only the share, not the content). Then unmount the drive, to make sure there are no share remaining and to remove the drive from the database of OMV. Then copy the data from one drive to the other. Final step is to create the new shares pointing to the existing folders on the new drive.

I did that and it seems to have worked perfectly !
    If it can help anyone, here's what I did precisely :

• Delete share folder (not content)
    • Unmount the drive
    • Delete filesystem of the drive
    • Plug my new drives
    • Create a RAID
    • Create a filesystem
    • Mount it
    • Put the old drive in an external USB3 enclosure, plug it
    • Mount it
    • Rsync between the two mounted drive
    • Unmount old drive
    • Create shared folder, pointing in the folder in the new drive
    • Reboot

> Nextcloud/Mariadbd/Letsencrypt/Duckdns all was working like before

Thanks a lot !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!