Advice on buying new 24-port unmanaged switch

• Hello.

As per the title, my 8-port switch no longer has enough ports and am thinking about something with 24 ports for future proofing.

There are quite a few on the market and I would be grateful for any recommendations.

My only real requirements are that I would prefer a desktop device (as opposed to a rack), that it is fanless and has a low energy footprint. I also do not need PoE.

I have come accross a couple that might fit the bill:

Zyxel GS1100-24E 24 port Gigabit Unmanaged Switch | Ebuyer.com

D-Link DGS-1024D - Green Ethernet Gigabit Switch | Ebuyer.com

TP-Link TL-SG1024D 24-port Desktop/Rackmount Gigabit Switch | Ebuyer.com

What do you think or perhaps something else?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They all look fine.

I went with a Netgear GS316. 16 ports means less power. I even considered 8 ports for that reason.

Also I considered voltage. I use my GS316 for a group of Odroid HC2, an Asus Lyra Mesh unit and a Noctua fan. Everything is run by 12 volt so I can run all these devices from one single fanless PSU.

I use a 3 node Asus Lyra Wi-Fi mesh for clients. The switch is to connect the HC2s to each other and to the Wi-Fi mesh. Each Lyra node has 2 ports so I get 4 extra remote ports with decent speed that way.

• Thanks Adoby.

I really hadn't thought about that - what do you think the difference in wattage might be between a 16 port and 24?

If it is a couple of watts, that would be fine, but if it is considerably more, I might have to reconsider whether future proofing is worth it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Check the specs. The GS316 is max 8.4 W. I doubt a 24 port draws more than double that.

But they may have internal PSU. That may be good or bad depending on what other equipment you have and how you power it.

Some switches has smart power draw depending on the ports actually active and also on cable length. I use mostly 25 cm cables...

• I have been running the TP-Link TL-SG1016 for over 2 years now. Even though it is 16 ports versus the 24 you request I can say the following - the TL-SG1016 has been operating PERFECTLY for the 2 years and not one single hiccup.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!