OPENVPN and stream hd video slow speed

• Hi,

I have configure a microserver gen8 with OMV 3 and OPENVPN.
    Everything is working great on a local network and also when i’m not home, i can access my server without issue.

The only issue is that when i’m not in my local network, the download/read speed is around 2Mo/s so when i’m watching HD videos it’s always lagging (caching)...
    My upload speed test reveal that i have 25Mo/s, tested by uploading a file to gdrive.

So what could be the bottle neck or the missing configuration to have the same transfer rate on my microserver that i have on my PC and my upload test?

Thank you.

• The test was done from server to GDrive ? (server -> gdrive )
    What app are using for streaming ? (Plex, CP, Emby)
    Do you use a VPN between your PC and the server ?

usually in this kind of situations the most common bottle necks are:
    - your internet
    - your router
    - VPN can slow down things a lot, and I mean 1-2MB/s

• Hi thanks for helping me.

I tried to upload to gdrive a file from the server but using my PC not the server itself.

Regarding the streaming from my server outside my network, i used VLC to direct stream and FileExplorer to see the download speed, both app on an iphone/ipad.

In you bottleneck list i have rulled out my internet since i have done the gdrive upload test, my router (same test)
    So it leaves the vpn, which is openvpn.
    Is it know to have transfer speed issue? Not being able to fully use your bandwith?

Cheers

• Are the below assumptions correct:

Client PC --- VPN on server --> Server

Client PC --- file upload to server via VPN ---> Server --- file upload to Google drive --> GDrive

If the above are correct the estimate server upload speed from your server is around 25Mo/s

Server has good upload speed.

Can you test:
    - Client PC download speed (test it by downloading a file from the server when connected with VPn and without connection)
    you can use winscp to be able to have a ssh gui and download the file.

this would reveal if VPN is affecting your client PC download speed.

I am more inclined to think that either a VPN bad configuration or your Client PC has a really bad download speed.

Here is an article on openVPN forums regarding speed issues: https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=22747

• Ok so i have done some extensive test and figured out some things.

Here is my config:
    - server side: i have a Hp proliant Gen 8 installed with OMV and openvpn as a pluggin. Server is connected to my internet box with ethernet 1Gb(i have the right speed via eternet from my PC to my server for example)

- client side: iphone/ipad with openvpn app.

Some test i have made:
    - i have tested my real upload speed using gdrive by uploading a file directly from my PC, i had 35Mo/s
    - i have tested the bandwith from my phone directly on my network, i have 15Mo/s, the bottleneck is the wifi.
    - i have tested a feature of my box that let me share files that are on internet box (i dont know the protocol behind that), i have 7Mo/s from my phone using 4G (i think the max speed then)

So as you can see i have «high » speed on all my tests and i know where the bottleneck is.

However when i m trying to download from my server outside my network via openvpn via my iphone on 4G i’m only at 2Mo/s (not enough to see hd movies in streaming).

I have also compare SMB and FTP speed on this config because i read that SMB was « chattier »:
    Server - IOS in wifi (no openvpn): FTP is 30.5MB/s while SMB only 17MB/s!
    FTP protocol seems to max out my wifi (ac)!

So, now i’m focusing on using FTP protocol over SMB via openvpn.

Still, with FTP and openvpn from my iphone i’m around 2.5/3Mo/s not great but now streaming of HD video works perfectly!

Last test i have made, i have redirected the port of my ISP box directly to my FTP to access it from outside with no vpn on my iphone.
    I got 10Mo/s! So that seemed to max my 4G download!

So I’m still trying to figure out why i can’t have more than 3Mo/s while my ISP can provide 35 UP, my FTP without VPN 10Mo/s and my vpn client 10Mo/s?

Here is my ios openvpn config:
    clientremote IP 1194proto udpdev tunremote-cert-tls servercomp-lzocipher AES-256-CBC;auth-user-passpersist-keypersist-tunnobindresolv-retry infiniteverb 3mute 10

I have already tested without cipher, with different MTU (seems irrelevant for ios), fragment...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!