Single HDD - Mirrored HDD - RAID HDD

• Hi,

I currently have one OMV server set up with 4 HDD in RAID 5 and all is good.

I'm about to setup another OMV server and I was just wondering if I can start with one drive, add another and mirror the two, then add another and RAID 5 them.

Or do I need all drives in place before I can raid 5?

Kudos

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need at least two drives to start a raid 5.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I know how to make a raid 5 partition in omv.

What I'm asking is can I go from a single drive - add data - then add a second drive - then mirror drive 1 and 2 - then add a third drive and convert to 3 drive raid 5 ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, that won't work. You can't convert a non-raid drive to raid with data on it. That is why I said if you end goal is Raid 5, you need a minimum of two drives.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• What ryecoaaron meant was, that you can create the raid5 with two disks, the raid will be degrade but still useable.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• True but why would you even want to do that. The whole purpose of raid 5 is for some data protection without loosing too much space. I would never try that maybe that's just me but I value my data. I have been using raid 5 for over 6 years both hardware and soft and have not have had many issue with it. During that whole time 2 SCSI drives died on me, did a rebuild and all was good. The drives were from seperate builds. Best to keep data on single drive and when ready for raid 5 get 4 disks and work with that. I find raid 5 works best with 4 disks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It sometimes is your only option when moving to a new raid and don't have enough drives until you remove content from the old raid. That is why I said 2 drives to start. I would never recommend running that way for longer than a temporary time period. From the disaster aspect, it really is no different than raid 0.

• Yes but you are taking a huge risk in doing so. If you value your data don't take the chance. I never recommend raid 0 or Jbod just way to risky. I would only use raid 0 if I don't care of the data or have a good backup and want the speed. If you really want speed best to get lots of ram and create a ram disk. It smokes even the fastest ssd by at least a factor of 5.

• Keep in mind that RAID doesn't replace a good backup.

And for your thought that you would use RAID5 with 4 disks, a quote from the (sorry) German Wiki (maybe google translate it ;))

Zitat

Einfluss auf die Write-Performance

Im Unterschied zur Read-Performance ist das Ermitteln der Write-Performance bei RAID 5 deutlich komplizierter und hängt sowohl von der zu schreibenden Datenmenge, als auch von der Anzahl der Platten ab.[2] Ausgehend von Festplatten mit weniger als 2TB Plattenplatz, ist die atomare Blockgröße (auch Sektorgröße genannt) der Platten häufig 512 Byte (siehe Festplatte: Speichern und Lesen von Daten). Geht man weiter von einem RAID-5-Verbund mit 5 Platten (4/5 Daten und 1/5 Parität) aus, so ergibt sich folgendes Szenario: Will eine Anwendung 2048 Byte schreiben, wird in diesem günstigen Fall auf alle 5 Platten genau je ein Block zu 512 Byte geschrieben, wobei einer dieser Blöcke keine Nutzdaten enthält. Im Vergleich zu RAID 0 mit 5 Platten ergibt sich daraus eine Effizienz von 80 % (bei RAID 5 mit 3 Platten wären es 66 %). Möchte eine Anwendung nur einen Block von 512 Byte schreiben, so ergibt sich ein ungünstigerer Fall, es müssen zuerst der abzuändernde Block und der Paritätsblock eingelesen werden, danach wird der neue Paritätsblock berechnet und erst dann können beide 512-Byte-Blöcke geschrieben werden. Das bedeutet einen Aufwand von 2 Lesezugriffen und 2 Schreibzugriffen, um einen Block zu speichern. Geht man vereinfacht davon aus, dass Lesen und Schreiben gleich lange dauern, so beträgt die Effizienz in diesem ungünstigsten Fall, dem sogenannten RAID 5 write Penalty, noch 25 %. In der Praxis wird dieser Worst-Case-Fall bei einem RAID 5 mit 5 Platten aber kaum eintreten, denn Dateisysteme haben häufig Blockgrößen von 2 kB, 4 kB und mehr und zeigen daher praktisch ausschließlich das Well-Case-Schreibverhalten. Gleiches gilt analog für RAID 5 mit 3 Platten. Unterschiedlich verhält sich hingegen etwa ein RAID-5-System mit 4 Platten (3/4 Daten und 1/4 Parität), soll hier ein Block von 2048 Byte geschrieben werden, sind zwei Schreibvorgänge notwendig, es werden dann einmal 1536 Byte mit Well-Case-Performance geschrieben und noch einmal 512 Byte mit Worst-Case-Verhalten. Diesem Worst-Case-Verhalten wirken zwar Cache-Strategien entgegen, aber dennoch ergibt sich hieraus, dass bei RAID 5 möglichst ein Verhältnis von zwei, vier oder auch acht Platten für Nutzdaten plus einer Platte für Paritätsdaten eingehalten werden sollte. Daher haben RAID-5-Systeme mit 3, 5 oder 9 Platten ein besonders günstiges Performanceverhalten.

Quintessence: RAID5 systems perform best with 3, 5 or 9 drives.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Back up is your friend as this article states.

You can have a raid whatever and unfortunately one fire, one blown power supply or major power surge may take it out. Yes a raid will help keep your data online and available, but it is not a backup in the true sense of what a backup is. It is merely redundant. Hope you have a good backup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!