Funkwhale on OpenMediaVault with docker

• Hello everybody,

I would like to install a very nice music server : https://funkwhale.audio/.
    I have asked about it on the Funkwhale forum as well, I will update both threads accordingly of answers.

FunkWhale has a docker install documentation, but I need some help to use it on my OMV server.
    I have already installed Nextcloud, Letsencrypt, etc. with docker, with the help of the great @TechnoDadLife (youtube playlist) and this community.

But I don't know how to use the OMV docker plugin with this documentation : https://docs.funkwhale.audio/installation/docker.html

Screenshot below.

Thanks a lot !

• Offizieller Beitrag

While Funkwhale is a media server/manager, it also appears to be a real time file sharing application. (Which has real security considerations and risks.)

I worked with the docker-compose install in a VM and, in the bottom line, I couldn't get it to work. (Multiple errors.) There's more to the install, than the install page suggests or covers. Also, there may be nginx and port conflicts with OMV's console to consider.

What you're trying to do, which appears to be running Funkwhale form a single image/container, probably won't work. A docker-compose install is used (typically), when a server or app requires multiple containers, which appears to be necessary for Funkwhale to run as a Docker. (If you search docker hub, you'll find Funkwhale has more than one component. )

If you really want to run this server, I'd suggest running it as a direct install on an R-PI and importing your SMB music share read only (from your main OMV server) . That would reduce the security risk somewhat.

• Thanks a lot for your feedback and the time you took to do it !
    It helps a lot to better understand the issues between OMV/Docker/this king of server.

Also, there may be nginx and port conflicts with OMV's console to consider.

This makes me think of an other question :

• Would it be the same situation, if I wanted to have a OMV installation running something like Yunohost ? Yunohost works well when you directly install it, it's based on Debian. But if I install it "on top" of OMV, will it be conflicts ? Self-hosting is very difficult for the moment, having OMV for SMB/Backup and Yunohost for apps would be a very nice solution for my skills.
  • Update :

On the Funkwhale forum, someone suggest to try that : (https://socialhub.network/t/fu…ediavault-with-docker/132)

• Another option would be to ditch docker-compose completely and configure Funkwhale containers via the interface, providing the adequate environment variables 1 / volumes (based on what is described in our docker-compose file
    • The docker-compose file will also tell you what to specify in each container command field (in some case you can leave it completely empty)

From what I understand, it would be the best shot to install it on OMV, right ? But very complicated, it seems.

++

• Offizieller Beitrag

It helps a lot to better understand the issues between OMV/Docker/this king of server.

When I first saw this post I was curious and ran the search under Docker, there appears to be three components to this, the install page alone looks somewhat confusing compared to the layout of other Docker howto pages.
    By reading through some of what's involved it has a good chance of conflicting with omv, or one would have to redirect this away from omv, all in all still looked confusing.
    As to your second option I think I understand what you are trying to achieve and would agree with @flmaxey this needs to run away/separate from omv either on another machine, an sbc or a pi.

• When I first saw this post I was curious and ran the search under Docker, there appears to be three components to this, the install page alone looks somewhat confusing compared to the layout of other Docker howto pages.
    By reading through some of what's involved it has a good chance of conflicting with omv, or one would have to redirect this away from omv, all in all still looked confusing.
    As to your second option I think I understand what you are trying to achieve and would agree with @flmaxey this needs to run away/separate from omv either on another machine, an sbc or a pi.

Ok thanks for the feedback. I hope this app will be easiest to install in the future because it has a nice potential for a music server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have found your thread on the funkwhale forum, looking at the reply and using docker search you would need;

funkwhale/funkwhale
    funkwhale/api
    fuvkwhale/apibase?
    funkwhale/base
    funkwhale/front-base? (the ? are based on not sure)

then following the links to environment variables and docker compose one could possibly extract on how to set this up -> but, and this is the caveat from my understanding these need to linked particularly if you look at the docker-compose.yml. Based upon that alone I don't know how one would link containers using the plugin, in Cockpit there is an option to link containers.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read the links in your post. Time permitting, I'll take a look at the compose file to see what it has in it, in the way of created containers, environment variables, etc.

When it comes to VM's as they are in Docker, or even VirtualBox and bare metal hypervisors, problems can crop up when there are port conflicts. As previously mentioned, OMV's default console port (unsecured) is 80. If a guest OS or Docker insists on using port 80, things get "interesting". Redirecting a port might be needed, changes to OMV's default ports and in some cases, a Docker MacVlan interface (for a separate IP address) might be required.

Unfortunately, this also applies to direct installs. So,, if you're thinking about attempting a direct install, I would definitely backup your boot drive. (While Dockers are relatively safe, direct installs are risky. Backup your boot drive.) Regarding default ports, I know that Funkwhale uses port 80 but that can be changed easily.

Here's my concern with Funkwhale and I can't stress it enough - it's definitely a security risk and shouldn't be installed on a server with sensitive data. It's the rough equivalent of a Media server + a torrent client, rolled into one. For this reason, I wouldn't do a direct install to OMV's underlying Debian OS. Funkwhale should be in Dockers, or a VM, for the isolation they offer. If it was me, I would consider doing a direct install on a separate host like an R-PI or some other Armbian SBC.

If you want to try things like Yunohost and other servers that do not have a Docker, you might want to think about loading up the VirtualBox plugin. With the above notes about ports/networking considered, you'll have to have decent hardware for VB and enough ram to allocate memory to the guest OS. Also, referencing dated past experience, the "console" view in the VB plugin didn't work when I last used it. As I remember, it was best to use RDP for access to the guest OS, in any case.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

From the Funkwhale docker compose file, it appears that there should be a total of 6 containers running. 3 are created from the Funkwhale image and there's another 3 with supporting services, database, web server, etc. All 6 are interlinked. Without knowing how it's supposed to work, in advance of configuring it; it would be a trick to configure these, one container at a time, tailoring the numerous variables, setting permissions, etc., etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!