Now ready for OS drive choice; M2 - - overkill?

• Is there something you would like to caution me on?

Since you were told to buy used SSDs the first thing I would do is checking the SMART data (how many 'power on hours' and if existent the amount of wear out -- buying used SSDs without knowing their health data is buying a pig in a poke. If they were not used that much they can work fine for decades... or simply stop working soon if already almost worn out).

Asides that with the use case you described I personally don't understand why one wants to spend hundreds of bucks on something that will neither perform faster nor more reliable than for example an ODROID-HC2 (and wasting a lot more power at the same time). But I would assume your project is more about 'building a PC' than 'NAS'? :)

• . . . But I would assume your project is more about 'building a PC' than 'NAS'? :)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

After re-reading my capitalized and exclamation point reply I figured I'd better edit my return post to tkaiser ---

I could not tell if tkaiser was nailing me or being facetious. So as to not have anyone think I was snapping back, I want to clarify. Yes, I am building a NAS albeit it nothing as complex and all encompassing as many of those on the forum. I just want mine to do a few things to accommodate my simplistic needs. That said, when entering arena's like this NAS I always think [what if] scenario's. My [what if] at this point in time is this . . . What if one of my PC's went down. I would turn this NAS into a PC and revert temporarily back to the virtual OMV4 NAS currently in place until I built another small scale NAS.

Tonight my wife and I went out to supper. Upon returning I thought and thought about the used SSD's. Then the mail revealed the arrival of the 16GB SSD's of which I didn't open up the package. Then I read tkaiser's reply. Then I went onto Best Buy's website. Then I went to Ebay and did a return. Then back to BestBuy and bought 2 each PNY 120BG SSD's on sale for $22.99 each. Then I smiled and sighed with relief at my decision. :) Then I decided to write this edit. Then I decided that I have wrote the word "then" enough times. Now I can go to bed and chill for the night. :D:thumbup:

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kai ()

• I've been using 16 to 32GB USB thumb drives and SD-cards for years. I've had no problems, as long as the the Flash memory plugin is installed and the item is not a cheap generic.

My personal preference is to have the boot drive accessible from the outside of the case, which makes cloning (for OS backup) easy.
    (Some use small SSD's, with a USB to sata or M2 adapter, for this purpose.)

Not yet fully understanding OMV4 I still have one remaining question about USB thumb drives. Are USB thumb drives adequate to hold the OS for situations when labor intensive tasks are called upon by the OS?

I have 3.0 slots available on the MoBo but the concern I'm wondering about is the MB read write specs versus the mb specs of a 3.0 SanDisk thumb drive, which is less than a 120GB SSD currently being used for the OS. If Plex (as an example) is installed on the server can a SanDisk 3.0 USB thumb drive handle the demand? ((Still haven't decided if I ever will install Plex; therefore just using it as an example)). RAM is 2@8GB DDR4 2400.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. As long as it doesn't involve a lot of writing to the thumbdrive.

And if it does you can still move the location being written to to another drive, and you'll be fine.

For instance change the settings for where to store data in plex or even move the whole /var/lib/plexmediaserver to /sharedfolders/sharedfoldername/plexmediaserver and link to there from the root filesystem.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not yet fully understanding OMV4 I still have one remaining question about USB thumb drives. Are USB thumb drives adequate to hold the OS for situations when labor intensive tasks are called upon by the OS?

See the Guide, page 12, in the current version (selecting a boot drive).

If Plex (as an example) is installed on the server can a SanDisk 3.0 USB thumb drive handle the demand?

Yes,(it can handle it). Several users are running PLEX on SBC's which boot from SD-cards and USB drives.
    However, due to a thumbdrive's limited size, it should be set to move Plex's metadata database from the boot drive to a data drive.
    (This can be found by search this forum or, potentially, on the Plex web site.)

• Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!