Now ready for OS drive choice; M2 - - overkill?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Doesn't it bother you to buy someone else's stuff??? I am always a little hesitant to buy something used and get stuck with a bad purchase.

My short answer is "No". It's about knowing something about what you're buying. (Knowledge comes from "research" and "experience", I'd argue in equal parts, but extremes in one can compensate for deficiencies in the other.)

As is it with beauty, "value" is in the eye of the beholder. I have a server platform, with SOLID server grade hardware (ECC, dual Xeon's, 32GB, Passmark CPU score of +14K, 6 drive expander, a perc H200 flashed for IT) that cost me less than $300, with used upgrades, delivered. Can you get stuck with a bad purchase? Sure. On the used market, my mantra is "Buyer beware" - it's a calculated risk. Knowing the risks, the trade-off's and the potential for value gained, is all part of the "dance".

• I think I am considering some of the lesser knowns like TeamGroup and Silicon Power because of their price.

I've got an SSD from each of these brands as the OS disk on desktops that get a heavy daily use, and haven't had issues in over a year of use.

I have used these SSDs for years.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&…=0&_odkw=16tb+ssd+samsung

The Samsung's @gderf mentions are good quality. Even though OMV writes enough logs and other data to make a flash drive questionable without the flash plug-in, a small capacity SSD shouldn't have issues. Using OMV, a disk this size would probably run for a number of years without wearing out, so long as it has adequate wear leveling, which pretty much any Samsung will.

As is it with beauty, "value" is in the eye of the beholder. I have server platform, with SOLID server grade hardware (ECC, dual Xeon's, 32GB, Passmark CPU score of +14K) that cost me less far less than $300 with the used upgrades, delivered. Can you get stuck with a bad purchase? Sure. On the used market, my mantra is "Buyer beware" - it's a calculated risk. Knowing the risks, the trade-off's and the potential for value gained, is all part of the "dance".

Other some drives, most of my OMV and home server hardware is used or repurposed. Besides the cost savings, using something a generation or two "old" (even if its bought "new" on Ebay or Craigslist or etc.), ensures better compatibility with the Debian Linux running underneath OMV itself. Buying the newest generation hardware can have its own risks when it comes to compatability. As noted though, its important to do your research and know what will and won't work for your purposes. If you're using Ebay for used gear, you can also look for sellers that have a lot of sales with a high positive feedback.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Other some drives, most of my OMV and home server hardware is used or repurposed. Besides the cost savings, using something a generation or two "old" (even if its bought "new" on Ebay or Craigslist or etc.), ensures better compatibility with the Debian Linux running underneath OMV itself.

This is a very salient point that many users miss; if one wants to use Linux (saving hundreds to thousands on software costs) AND wants a high performance server, the Linux kernel must be considered. Since much of hardware compatibility is compiled into the kernel, "bleeding edge" hardware (mobo's, processors, etc.) can cause problems. Hence, smoking hot hardware that is one generation out of date AND usually for sale at bargain basement prices, is the best choice for out-of-the-box Linux compatibility.

Bang for the buck is what it's all about. :thumbup: (With a modest donation to the Dev's who make it all possible, of course. Those donations are money very well spent.)

• Posts 21, 22, and 23 . . . I follow everything said in those three posts. I see the reasoning behind all comments. My job now is evaluation, which is now a little better understood after seeing the reasoning behind given choices relational to Linux with past generations. Thanks loads for helping me learn.

At 65 years of age I spent all my computer years in benefiting from what computers could do for speeding up my business via off the shelf software. Even though I got quite good at plugging components together to make all of our computers, time was not spent in the trenches . . . like fully understanding component compatibility specs and growing in knowledge towards making a computer do things other than word processing, CAD, and spreadsheets. Now, at a later stage of life, than probably the rest of you, I find learning the guts of other computing experiences to be quite rewarding . . . Proof that one is never too old to learn nor too full of knowledge to help someone else understand. Even though I am far from being an old coot, my goal in life now is to use computers to keep me young and active mentally. Okay, down off the soap box. Yeesh. Don't worry I won't make a habit of it, promise. 8)

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kai ()

• I may not have the following information 100% correct so bear with me. The other day when I was studying PLEX for my NAS build I thought I read somewhere that PLEX should be installed on it's own separate drive. However, I don't know if that is correct, -or- if it has any bearing when installing Plex in an OMV4 NAS environment via the Docker procedure. My plan is to use Plex only as a DVR and for streaming to a Samsung TV and a LG tablet AND for storing pictures and home videos. All that said - if I were to get a 128GB M.2 2280 Adata will that be adequate for the Plex operations? Is a separate drive really necessary to max out Plex? etc., etc., etc.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• The part of Plex that should be installed to a data drive is its metadatbase library. If you are using a Plex docker, this location is set via the /config Container path. Until recently my Plex metadatbase library grew to a bit over 300GB. My OMV system drive is a 16GB SSD.

The size of the Plex metadatbase library depends highly on how you use and configure Plex. But I can say that it is difficult to predict its growth relative to the size of your media collection, so if you place it on a reasonably sized for OMV system drive you are making a mistake. When the system drive fills up, regardless of why or how it filled up, your system will be badly broken until the mess is cleaned up.

At the risk of repeating myself, my OMV 16GB system drive has been in use for more that 3 years across three versions of OMV: 2,3 and now 4, all but the first being in place upgrades from the prior version. It is slightly over 1/2 full, and the reason is that I don't put things like a dozen docker containers or Plex's plexmediaserver-database on it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• At the risk of repeating myself, my OMV 16GB system drive has been in use for more that 3 years across three versions of OMV: 2,3 and now 4, all but the first being in place upgrades from the prior version. It is slightly over 1/2 full, and the reason is that I don't put things like a dozen docker containers or Plex's plexmediaserver-database on it.

gderf, I want you to know one thing. I greatly value and respect the help and advice you have been giving to me. You ARE NOT repeating yourself. You are merely reiterating/emphasizing that which you know from experience is a solution or solutions. Your posts definitely come across as experienced and trustworthy. That said, I am getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 16GB drives you are suggesting; I like the idea of a two of them, one for backup of the OMV4 inside the NAS system. The only thing I'm dragging my feet about is the use of 2 x Sata III ports for the drive and a backup, thus taking away from data storage ports. The ASRock AB350 Pro4 does have 6 Sata though which should be plenty since I will not be doing a Raid array. All my parts are on schedule to be here by this weekend. All I am doing this very second is making the final decisions for the SSD(s).

• My 16GB Samsung SSD for the OMV system disk is in an external USB enclosure and is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the machine. I wasn't going to surrender a SATA port for it and I have 12 of them!

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm putting a parts list together as it's time for a rebuild. This one has served me well for almost 6yrs.. I changed the chassis @ 4yrs ago, and now I'm really wanting a 4 bay hot swap. Last time I considered a hot swap chassis, and ultimately decided against it and kind of regret it.

Anyway, one thing I'm noticing as there is a significant cost difference between motherboards with 4 and 6 sata ports, and all the M2 drives, seem to disable one of the SATA ports, which makes it kinda pointless for my needs.

My thinking right now is to get an adapter to run a 2.5in SSD of an internal USB 3.0 header.

• My 16GB Samsung SSD for the OMV system disk is in an external USB enclosure and is plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the machine. I wasn't going to surrender a SATA port for it and I have 12 of them!

I hate to bother you with details but could you "vaguely" fill me in on why you would be using 12 of them? I need to understand why to even be in that scenario. Also, should I be concerned any that the 16GB drives are only Sata II ??? Can any loss of function or speed be noticed?

• My thinking right now is to get an adapter to run a 2.5in SSD of an internal USB 3.0 header.

KM0201 - would you mind detailing that scenario and what I would need to do to set up that configuration on the inside of my Mid ATX tower? ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard.

• Also forum, I hate to throw this into the mix but it came to my mind last night. What if I wanted to get acquainted with Linux - could I install the Linux OS also and have it running with OMV4? Would the Linux OS need to be on it's own drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 - would you mind detailing that scenario and what I would need to do to set up that configuration on the inside of my Mid ATX tower? ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard.

Sure.. The case I'm selecting, only has USB 2.0 on the front anyway, so the USB 3.0 header will be unused. Keep this in mind if you have USB 3.0 on the front of the chassis that you want to use, as you'll likely lose them.

3.0 Motherboard header to USB 3.0
    https://www.newegg.com/Product…er-_-12-400-316-_-Product

USB 3.0 to Sata 3

https://www.newegg.com/Product…er-_-12-400-542-_-Product

• I hate to bother you with details but could you "vaguely" fill me in on why you would be using 12 of them? I need to understand why to even be in that scenario. Also, should I be concerned any that the 16GB drives are only Sata II ??? Can any loss of function or speed be noticed?

I have a constantly growing media collection. Currently more than 11,800 movies, 195 TV series, and about 2,650 music CD rips all served up by Plex. Currently totals about 15TB of data with 20TB of SnapRAID parity capacity.

My motherboard has 12 SATA ports on it, and the case has 8 removable drive trays all of which are now in use with my data and parity drives. There is also an internal drive cage within the case that can hold 4x 2.5in drives, but I am not using it and don't envision doing so, the reason being I do not want to have to open the case to remove drives.

So, I'm basically maxed out on drive count. The way I grow it is to swap out smaller drives for larger ones. My most recent purchase was a 12TB drive. All future drive purchase will be 12TB or larger. I have about 9 months of available free space based on my ISP capping my data transfer at 1TB/month, before I have to buy another drive.

The way I use OMV, the 16GB SSD on a USB 2.0 port doesn't hurt the performance to the point that I notice it.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also forum, I hate to throw this into the mix but it came to my mind last night. What if I wanted to get acquainted with Linux - could I install the Linux OS also and have it running with OMV4? Would the Linux OS need to be on it's own drive?

In theory (I've never done it)... You could install the current, full version of Debian (Stretch) that OMV is based on... and install OMV on top of that.. just keep in mind this will cause quite a bit more overhead on the server for a lot of stuff you don't really need (desktop GUI, associated apps, etc.). Another thing to consider... as much as I love Debian and have used it for some time.. It's not the most user friendly experience for someone very new to desktop Linux.

Usually if someone asks about trying Linux, I always suggest dual booting one of the Ubuntu variants or Mint, and keeping Windows around. You will inevitably run into "that one thing" you can't figure out, and it will leave you an out to boot into Windows if you have to. It's the easiest way to learn Linux, while having a fall back to Windows. I still dual boot when I buy laptops... but I've not booted Windows (other than once accidentally) in about 2yrs. Dual boot systems are pretty easy to set up.

If you Google "dual booting Windows and Ubuntu".. you'll probably get more links than you can possibly imagine.

• Thanks for the insight.

• Also forum, I hate to throw this into the mix but it came to my mind last night. What if I wanted to get acquainted with Linux - could I install the Linux OS also and have it running with OMV4? Would the Linux OS need to be on it's own drive?

OMV is Linux, Debian Linux.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

A Virtual Machine is a good alternative to dual booting, if you have a machine fast enough to handle two full OS's.

Since I'm a cheap rat bastard and pretty much always buy my laptops that are in the "yesteryear" aisle of Wal Mart... Virtual Machines can be a bit frustrating (hell Windows can be frustrating, but Debian usually flies on them).

• Offizieller Beitrag

One other comment regarding the motherboard you're selecting. The Realtek card that is on that board.... I don't like it. I have the 8111 on my current machine... I found it had 2 annoying issues. 1. Slow network transfers, and 2. (Far more annoying).. It would never shut down properly. It took a while, but I eventually isolated it to where if I used WOL to wake up my NAS, then when I went to shutdown, the machine would not shutdown, it would reboot. I would then shutdown again, and the machine would actually shutdown. If I manually powered on, it would shutdown normally on the first try.

Tried installing up to date drivers, etc.. and none of it resolved that issue. I eventually got frustrated and bought an Intel card, and the problem went away. This problem may well have been fixed by now (there were several threads on this back in the day).. but just something to keep in mind.

I'd personally either look for an acceptable board w/ an Intel NIC. (edit, or since you seem to have gotten a decent deal on the board.. if you have a problem with this... buy an Intel chipset card)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!