Now ready for OS drive choice; M2 - - overkill?

• It's not the most user friendly experience for someone very new to desktop Linux . . .

Thanks, from what you're saying I think I'd better cut down on the added drama and stay with getting OMV4 under my belt before moving off base. Tons of stuff and learning curves ahead of me for OMV4 as it is.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks, from what you're saying I think I'd better cut down on the added drama and stay with getting OMV4 under my belt before moving off base. Tons of stuff and learning curves ahead of me for OMV4 as it is.

It's not really that bad.. I mean most of us we probably use our OS for very basic things.. General Internet surfing, firing off some nasty emails to people we don't like, online banking, general office type stuff. But like everything that's new, there's going to be a learning curve... thus why it's always best to have Windows to fall back on for at least a little while.

• FINALLY!!! All parts are on order and should be here between 12/20 and 12/24/2018 . . . including the 2 each 16gb Samsung drives suggested by gderf plus other advised components from the forum. Gettin' excited now! Thanks everyone. You're all my buddies until something you suggested doesn't work! - Just kidding! Now you all have to listen to me learn OMV4!

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

FINALLY!!! All parts are on order and should be here between 12/20 and 12/24/2018 . . . including the 2 each 16gb Samsung drives suggested by gderf plus other advised components from the forum. Gettin' excited now! Thanks everyone. You're all my buddies until something you suggested doesn't work! - Just kidding! Now you all have to listen to me learn OMV4!

Curiosity and all.... Post your complete parts list.

After working this over the last week.. Pretty sure this is what I'll be ordering after the New Year.

My current NAS is a Sempron.. never been a huge fan of AMD and generally prefer Intel, but that's just personal opinion.. The Celeron was the cheapest "current" CPU I could find. I may not need the low profile cooler, as I get differing answers with Google and the manufacturers website isn't clear.. but just "looking" at pics, etc.. I think I'm gonna need it. I'll also be adding 3, 4TB drives. Probably gonna go WD Blue's, which will run me about $300. I've used them several times with no ill effects, and my NAS is not on 24/7, so I don't think I'll get much of the benefit of the WD Red.

The reality is, the build is probably overkill, but it should keep me for a while. I spent around 400 on my current one and I built it in '13 (w/o drives)... so if I get into this one for $500 w/o drives, and it lasts me as long as this one... I'll be happy.

• KM0201 - By all means, I'll be glad to be back at ya with a build in the next day. My plate is full today.

• What procedure should I take to format the Samsung16gb SSD's? I got 2 of the SSD's gderf suggested to use. They'll be here Friday or Saturday. I can get them ready (formatted) for the NAS using a PC. I looked on the web but couldn't zero in.

• What procedure should I take to format the Samsung16gb SSD's? I got 2 of the SSD's gderf suggested to use. They'll be here Friday or Saturday. I can get them ready (formatted) for the NAS using a PC. I looked on the web but couldn't zero in.

When you perform a standard install OMV will format the target disk for you.

I don't know what you have planned for the second SSD, so I can't comment.

The procedure I use to backup my OMV system disk results in a full disk dd image file that is stored on one of my data disks. If I ever restore one of these backups images, the dd process writes the backup image file to the target disk directly. Anything previously on the target disk is wiped out, so there is no point in formatting it beforehand. You may do things differently, so you might need to have the disk already formatted. OMV can do this for you using the disk and filesystem pages.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• The second SSD will be an OMV4 OS backup for the first SSD in case the first one konks out. There will be a 3rd WD BLUE 4TB HDD for data. Data backups will be done to external drives (hopefully) with my Goodsync software.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The second SSD will be an OMV4 OS backup for the first SSD in case the first one konks out. There will be a 3rd WD BLUE 4TB HDD for data. Data backups will be done to external drives (hopefully) with my Goodsync software.

The first install.. as said just let the installer handle it. The 2nd SSD.. You'd have to clone the OS disk onto the spare SSD. I've never done that, but obviously if you're going to go to the hassle make sure the OS disk is completely how you want it before you clone it. I consider it more of a waste of time than just configuring the OS from scratch. Admittedly my setup is simple, and I can have OMV installed, updated, and completely configured, generally in about 45min. Other than Docker containers, which I'm just now starting to mess with... I've set this thing up from scratch so many times I can almost do it from memory.

• ASRock AB350 Pro4 (MB)newegg link$69.00 USD
    AMDA8-9600 CPU 3.1Ghz Quad Core AM4micro center link$46.99 USD
    WD Blue 4TBnewegg link$90.94 USD
    G.SKILL Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400newegg link$104.99 USD
    (3ea. @ $.69) Coboc Model SC-SATA3-18-LL-BK 18" SATA III6Gb/s Data Cablenewegg link$2.07 USD
    (3ea. @ $.69) Coboc Model SC-SATA3-18-LL-BK-90 18" 90 Degree to 180 Degree Data Cablenewegg link$2.07 USD
    ICY DOCK Tool-less EZ-Fit PRO MB082SP 2x 2.5Inch to 3.5 Inch Dual Internalebay link$10.30 USD
    2 Samsung MLC SSD 16GB (MMBRE16G5MSP-0VA)2.5" Solid State Drive SSD HDDebay link$30.00 USD
    ASUS 24X Internal Desktop SATA CD DVD RW DLBurner Re-Writer Drive + Softwareebay link$16.95 USD
    Rosewill - Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower ComputerCase - Three Included Fansnewegg link$29.99 USD
    Antec VP450 Power Supply 450 Watts PSU with120mm Silent Cooling Fan, Dual +12 V Railsamazon link$35.25 USD

Above is what is all coming together this weekend. (Hope it helps someone). I have experience with AMD that's why I went with it for the main focus. My personal PC is an Intel i7-4790K 4.00Ghz. My NAS will definitely be overkill but here's why - I wanted something with ability to upgrade processor and revert it to a PC if needed in the future way down the road; and secondly, I waited until great prices came into view to pick various components. I was able to secure some really great prices. I have three of the cases in my house in use right now. They are a very nice case. I will be using up Sata ports until I can better understand gderf's setup of SSD/USB drives. I like the Antec PS because you can find very good reviews of it; I also like the dual 12v rails. Granted, I may not have the perfect NAS scenario here, but, it will certainly get the job done for a grand total of $439.54. SO MUCH better than a pre-made box. On top of all that I get the pleasure of deploying OMV into the mix - that's the real kicker behind all of this.

My NAS needs are EXTREMELY basic. I simply want to share files (get this household mess into one location), maybe employ Plex DVR (I already use a HomerunHD dual tuner), set up the OMV to wake up when inquired to, maybe connect to the server when away from home, and just to have some fun with computers. I already have a backup system in play using GoodSync (which I love using) based on SMB , so I should be good to go. Now all I have to do is learn OMV4.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Kai ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks pretty good to me. Curious, why the DVD drive?

Whenever I talk to someone about building vs buying a NAS, I always explain the costs are pretty similar if you compare similar specs. I'm at $500 for my setup (w/o drives). A Diskstation DS918+ (pretty close to what I'm building).. is $577 w/o storage.

To me, building has one distinct advantage, and a friend's experience is what spawned me to always always always build when it comes to a NAS. He had a ReadyNas.. at that time I had built a small Ubuntu Server and he constantly said how much better a ReadyNAS was... Then something happened to his NAS out of warranty. I don't recall the specifics but when he contacted Netgear they said his specific device was out of production, so he could not order parts from them for it. He was stuck scrounging around eBay, or buying a new NAS (he ultimately built a FreeNas box, which led me to FreeNas at the time)

When something on a personally built NAS goes bad.. It's a simple matter of hopping on NewEgg, Amazon, or any other number of websites, and getting whatever you need to fix the problem.

• Out of curiosity: this is a single data drive you're using? Do you plan on adding more HDDs later?

Hi tkaiser, Yes I do planning on adding. However, when doing so I do not plan on setting up RAID. I merely will add more drives to eliminate partitioning the 4TB. Is there something you would like to caution me on? If so, I'm always congenially open for constructive criticism and correction. Thanks for inquiring.

• . . . why the DVD drive? . . .

I think it was gderf who advised me to iso a dvd and then install OMV onto a USB drive. However, I decided to install a DVD drive just in case in the future the setup ended up being a PC and another NAS build took its place. I already have the ASUS drives on two other computers, know their reliability and felt $16.95 was a good deal for a New unit.

Additionally, I agree with your comments on the build components. My reasoning is this - it is almost an obsession with me to beat the system whenever I can - I look at things this way . . . a human had to build a Synology or a QNAP etc., I'm a human . . . so, I can build one too. That's pretty much the way I look at everything from car repairs to home repairs to computers. Being in business for 30 years taught me the practices behind marketing and manufacturing margins. Now - what I relied on and lived on for many years - I now try to avoid in my spending habits.

• I think it was gderf who advised me to iso a dvd and then install OMV onto a USB drive.

Wasn't my suggestion and I have no optical drive in my OMV box. My MB is of the server type with IPMI and it allows me to do a remote OS install by mounting an iso image locally and install it over the wire. That and the 12 SATA ports really impressed me and convinced me I made a good MB choice. Was expensive, but on the other hand I have not outgrown it even after more than 3 years with it.

If I couldn't do the remote iso install I would have tried an install from USB.

If I had to do a DVD install it would have been on another machine and I would have just moved the drive over and fixed up the networking.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The part of Plex that should be installed to a data drive is its metadatbase library. If you are using a Plex docker, this location is set via the /config Container path.

I have found that I stupidly made my system drive to be full with lots of plex metadata. Is there still any chance to move them all into the data drives?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest way might be to stop plex, then create the new metadata folder on another partition, then move over the metadata and finally hard link the new folder to the old. You can do this with the whole /var/lib/plexmediaserver folder. (Not sure that is the right name, I use Emby.) I use mc (Midnight Commander) over SSH for this type of tasks.

• I have found that I stupidly made my system drive to be full with lots of plex metadata. Is there still any chance to move them all into the data drives?

Yes and it depends on your setup.

If you are running the OMV Plex plugin you can change the location of the database in the plugin settings, save and apply the changes. It can take a long time for this to finish because three things have to happen. First, all the metadata files are copied to the new location, then they are deleted from the old location, and finally their ownership is changed.

If you are running a docker you must stop the container, move the files to the new location, then modify the container path for the /config variable to reflect the new configuration. The docker should change the ownerships for you if needed but maybe not, so be prepared to do that by hand if starting the docker throws errors about ownership/permissions.

--

• Wasn't my suggestion and I have no optical drive in my OMV box. My MB is of the server type with IPMI and it allows me to do a remote OS install by mounting an iso image locally and install it over the wire. That and the 12 SATA ports really impressed me and convinced me I made a good MB choice. Was expensive, but on the other hand I have not outgrown it even after more than 3 years with it.
    If I couldn't do the remote iso install I would have tried an install from USB.

If I had to do a DVD install it would have been on another machine and I would have just moved the drive over and fixed up the networking.

My apologies gderf.

KM0201 - - - It was flmaxey (post no. 13) where i got the inclination for a CD/DVD drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 - - - It was flmaxey (post no. 13) where i got the inclination for a CD/DVD drive.

That recommendation was specifically about building a USB boot drive.

The reason behind that was:
    Many are now using a USB thumbdrive as the install software source AND installing to a USB drive, that will be the boot drive. This can result in a BIOS device name change where, when the installation source drive is removed, the boot drive device name changes. This can cause an initramfs error when grub doesn't find the boot drive. (There are plenty of examples of this issue, on the forum.)

This problem is easily solved if using a CD/DVD ISO as the installation source and that makes it worth, in my opinion, $15 for the drive. (Of course a $0 "repurposed" drive would be better.)

You could remove it after the build but, if you go with a USB boot drive, I'd keep it to use with live distro's (memtest86, gparted, and others). And note, for the purpose of device names, an SSD connected through a USB interface is still a USB boot drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!