Now ready for OS drive choice; M2 - - overkill?

• Well, I've been through a few weeks of testing OMV4 in a virtual environment. I am really happy about going with OMV versus Synology or QNAP. I am now in the process of building my NAS.

I am asking the forum - - - Is there any sense to me putting a 60GB or 120GB M2 SSD in for the OMV4 OS? Yep, it's overkill but I was looking for some speed for OMV. If I am going down the wrong track here please advise me and stop me. I will be using WD Red 2TB and 4TB drives for the data storage. I will not be doing RAID. I am doing 2 backups (in addition to the OS drive) via the implementation of GOODSYNC syncing (I really like GoodSync; very reliable and detailed). NOTE: I do not want to go the route of a USB thumb drive for the OS.

Additionally speaking - Yes, some components will be a little over the top in this [NAS only] build but the prices have been right. I will be receiving the ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard in the next few days. Got it brand new for $69.99 US + $20.00 rebate makes it $49.99! It's going inside a Rosewill Champion case for $29.99 rather than $59.99 regular price. I'll be going with a new AMD A8-9600 APU for $59.99. Haven't ordered the ram or the APU yet. Will be likely starting with 2 x 4GB Non ECC though. I'm looking at GSkill budget 2x4gb 2133 for $54.99. Only thing left will be a 450W to 550W power supply.

By the way I just donated a very small ( 9 Eur; $10.56 US ) to OMV. I will do more in the future but have to watch dollars right now. This is the only forum I am donating to currently. I figured it is a good investment because my entire home network will be relying on OMV4. I am sure the forum will be of great benefit to me, now and in the future.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, a big SSD makes no sense for OMV. Most (all?) of OMV is cached/stored in RAM when you run it. If you by OMV means only a NAS with file-sharing functionality. Plenty of RAM would be better to improve disk caching.

But you can use OMV for other tasks, as an application server, then an SSD might make a lot of sense. Use the SSD to store caches of metadata and databases and docker images and VMs.

I think that my next SBC will have a very fast NVMe SSD that is used to cache NFS and HDD access. But I don't think it will be for at least a year. I doubt I will run OMV on it, but it will access my small group of Odroid HC2s with OMV.

• Thanks Adobe,

So, what should I use? Just a low gigabyte HDD? Or, should I create a small partition on a larger gigabyte hard drive? I still don't want to use a USB thumb drive. I think I read somewhere that extra configurations are needed to make a thumb drive work properly as the OS drive in/with OMV. I don't know exactly what I read but I think it was something like what I just stated.

Should I move up to say 2 x 8gb DDR4 2400, or something like that?

The OMV uses I am considering in the mid near future are: basic file sharing, Plex DVR (via Dockers I guess; although I have to learn what Dockers even is for), no streaming to multiple devices so no need for decoding, Wake on Demand (maybe) so that the NAS is not running 24/7, Wake on Demand remote access to files when away from home. That's probably all I'll use OMV for.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• I have been running OMV 2,3, and 4 on a Samsung 16GB 2.5in SSD for more than three years. More than enough room so long as you know what you are doing, easily filled up and taking your machine down if you don't.

You can still find these drives on ebay for very little money.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I have been running OMV 2,3, and 4 on a Samsung 16GB 2.5in SSD for more than three years. More than enough room so long as you know what you are doing, easily filled up and taking your machine down if you don't.

You can still find these drives on ebay for very little money.

Thanks gderf. So, with what you just said, I take away that if the only thing running is the OS then I should be fine??? Does stuff like Dockers, Plex, etc., etc. also reside on the OS drive or can they be put onto one of my other NAS HDD?

• Thanks gderf. So, with what you just said, I take away that if the only thing running is the OS then I should be fine??? Does stuff like Dockers, Plex, etc., etc. also reside on the OS drive or can they be put onto one of my other NAS HDD?

I run about a dozen dockers including Plex which currently has a metadatabase that is approaching 300GB. None of the docker containers are on the OS drive, they are on one of the data drives. I still have more than 6GB free space available on the OS drive.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By default OMV tries to make you use one whole drive for the system. I run OMV from SD cards on my SBC servers. Works fine.

One possibility:

Get a cheap SSD and put the root file system on it. 20-30 GB should be plenty. When you have OMV running fine, including shares but not extra apps like Plex (I prefer Emby), add a partition that use the rest of the SSD.

Use the extra partition for backups of the rootfs (you'll need remote backups as well) and use it for big apps and data. Put Plex (or Emby) there, and other apps and data. Including docker images when you have learned more.

Plain OMV runs fine on quite modest hardware. I run OMV on tiny Odroid HC2 SBCs with the rootfs on SD cards and during sustained file transfers they can easily saturate a GbE connection. The bottleneck typically isn't the drives or the CPU, it's the network. And that makes my servers fast enough for me. It might be a different story if I had to transcode a lot.

• gderf, adoby,

Now things are becoming a little bit clearer regarding the OS drive. That said, am I okay with 2 x 4gb DDR4 2133/2400 for OMV, Plex, Dockers, etc. operations or do I need to be considering 2 x 8gb DDR 4 2133/2400?

• I think you will be fine with 8GB of RAM, but it won't hurt to go with 16GB if the extra cost isn't a problem.

I run with 16GB and no swap. I have run with only 8GB for a while when one RAM module failed and had no problems.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been using 16 to 32GB USB thumb drives and SD-cards for years. I've had no problems, as long as the the Flash memory plugin is installed and the item is not a cheap generic.

My personal preference is to have the boot drive accessible from the outside of the case, which makes cloning (for OS backup) easy.
    (Some use small SSD's, with a USB to sata or M2 adapter, for this purpose.)

• I've been using 16 to 32GB USB thumb drives and SD-cards for years. I've had no problems, as long as the the Flash memory plugin is installed and the item is not a cheap generic.

My personal preference is to have the boot drive accessible from the outside of the case, which makes cloning (for OS backup) easy.
    (Some use small SSD's, with a USB to sata or M2 adapter, for this purpose.)

I'm gaining interest in the USB thumb drive idea - and yes, I would get a reputable name. I am fond of Sandisk. I'm pretty certain the MB has 3.0 and/or 3.1 USB ports so that would be a plus, I assume. According to your post the only thing I need to worry about is the Flash plugin, correct? No other plugins or special configuration? Do I need to study up on anything in particular to use a USB thumb -or- just plug it in and go? What and where exactly would i need to study and learn about the USB solution. Do I download the OMV4 OS onto one USB thumb drive and then have it install onto another plugged in USB drive? Is that the way it would go? I don't yet have a full grasp of things like OMV plugins and Dockers and stuff like that. I'm willing to read and learn . . . just need a few road signs is all. I still have a little bit of a hangup though on instrumental operating hardware being outside the case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to your post the only thing I need to worry about is the Flash plugin, correct?

Correct.
    To make the Flash Memory Plugin available for X64 platforms (it's preinstalled on SBC's), it's necessary to install the OMV-Extras plugin. The process you'd need is in this User Guide, starting on page 40. (The install of OMV-Extras is a bit on the abstract side so, well,, that's part of what the guide is for.) After installing OMV-Extras and turning on the testing repo' , there's a lot of additional plugin's available. The Flash Memory plugin is among them. The explanation of why it's needed, the process for installing the Flash Memory plug, and the tweaks to maximize it, starts on page 50.

What and where exactly would i need to study and learn about the USB solution. Do I download the OMV4 OS onto one USB thumb drive and then have it install onto another plugged in USB drive? Is that the way it would go?

There's nothing special about installing to a USB drive.
    (And while it's not an endorsement, I use San-Disk USB drives. Further, to simplify OS boot drive cloning, it would be best to get 2 identical size and brand USB drives.)

To avoid one issue I can think of; it would be best to burn a CD ISO and use that as the installation source, then install to the USB drive. The CD/ISO installer will detect the USB drive as it would any spinning hard drive. The size - 16GB - would make it obvious which drive to install to.

Most questions you might have would be answered by the guide. There's an install walk through that includes testing and installing to flash media, setting up a share, putting the share on the network, installing the flash memory plug, other utilities that will make working with server easier, and my favorite topic BACKUP. (Both the OS and your data store.) More on that topic is coming soon.

• flmaxey,

Excellent. I'm pretty much on board in understanding everything you covered. The CD ISO is understood also; and liked. When I installed OVM virtual I used the TechnoDadLife video. Therefore I 90% understand the plugins you are talking about as his video installed the EXTRAs plugins in virtual. So, when I do the hard install I should be able to determine the Extras install - again using one of TDL's videos for guidance. I also have downloaded the OMV install guide and have used it often already. Am already successfully sharing folders via SMB. SMB works great with the GoodSync method I use as is described in more detail in the next paragraph.

Regarding BACKUP. YES, BIG TIME. For many years I have used backup practices to CD's and DVD's. Lately I have been backing up to external drives. What I have been doing in the last month is as follows: I have been using GoodSync in the two direction sync mode. I have the main data stored on OMV virtual drives. I then FIRST backup (GOODSYNC 2 way) to folders on my PC's hard drive, and SECOND to folders on an External 1.5TB WD External Drive. That way if the OMV goes down I can immediately start using the PC folders to pick up in real time. I really like the GoodSync software. So glad I sprung for it months back.

Finally, for my PC's system image I use AOMEI Backer Upper. Have use it for 2 years now and love it also. I keep the System Images on a separate 1TB HDD in the PC.

• Just to add my two cents, I use an old 60GB SATA SSD that I already had. The handy part with having a slightly larger drive is that the core Debian OS sometimes eats up a bit of space when there's a new kernel release. It also gives you enough space to keep a couple of older kernels sitting around, just in case. That said, I've stripped out all but the second most recent one and Debian and OMV only takes up 5.6GB on my SDD. You also have enough space for a decent size swap drive there, but I'm not sure OMV takes any advantage of that.
    But as mentioned here, there's no need to get a huge drive, unless you're planning on running other things in parallel with OMV on Debian.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• @Kai, if you're in the US (from your profile you are), this time of year, there's frequent sales on low capacity SSDs from the large internet sellers (Newegg, Frys, Amazon, B&H, etc.) I'm frequently seeing 60GB and 120GB drives from established manufacturers (Patriot, Silicon Power, Kingston, Sandisk, Crucial, etc. ) for about $18 to $27(US) shipped. That's pretty close to what you'd pay for a quality USB Flash drive of the same capacity, and not much more than you'd pay for a smaller capacity one.

• Thanks to TheLostSwede and Markess. I appreciate the advice and heads up. Yes, I am closely monitoring some small SSD's. I think I am considering some of the lesser knowns like TeamGroup and Silicon Power because of their price. I never have bought low budget drives but I'm thinking there is not that I should be okay. If I recall correctly there are two TeamGroup's for 19.99 USD on NewEgg right now (regularly 29.99each USD). I just picked up the AMD A8-9600 APU yesterday for $50.19 including tax at MicroCenter in Chicago. Had to be in Chicago yesterday anyway. Got a 2TB WD Red yesterday from NewEgg for $80.00 total. I'm finding some great deals and am now in the next few days going to order the SSD , power supply, and CD/DVD/RW. Should be building the NAS in a week or two.

• Doesn't it bother you to buy someone else's stuff??? I am always a little hesitant to buy something used and get stuck with a bad purchase. Buying NEW on Ebay doesn't have the same affect on me; I'm okay with NEW stuff from Ebay. Does 16GB give me enough room for anything relative to OMV4, Plex, etc ??? Will Plex be running off of the 16GB SSD or one of the NAS drives? As I think about it I might go this route that you're suggesting. Come to think about it - couldn't I could get a couple of them and use one as a system image or backup for the OMV4?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kai ()

• Doesn't it bother you to buy someone else's stuff??? I am always a little hesitant to buy something used and get stuck with a bad purchase. Buying NEW on Ebay doesn't have the same affect on me; I'm okay with NEW stuff from Ebay. Does 16GB give me enough room for anything relative to OMV4, Plex, etc ??? Will Plex be running off of the 16GB SSD or one of the NAS drives? As I think about it I might go this route that you're suggesting. Come to think about it - couldn't I could get a couple of them and use one as a system image or backup for the OMV4?

It doesn't bother me to buy used gear in a case like this. The cost is very low and there are no moving parts. If the device is DOA I get a refund. I've never had a problem and I have six of these used Samsung 16GB SSDs. The one currently in my OMV machine now has 2.7 years on it according to the SMART status report. Most of the ones I have gotten on ebay had around 400 hours on them and a few hundred power cycles.

My 16GB OMV SSD is less than half full after more than three years of use. All the things that take up a lot of space are on other drives, including more than a dozen docker including Plex. The Plex database is on one of my hard drives, not the system SSD. Never place that database on the system drive because it can and probably will fill up the drive and break your server in doing so. I just trimmed my Plex database back to a bare minimum configuration. It was over 300GB (not a typo) before I slimmed it down.

I have five other identical 16GB Samsung SSDs that I keep handy for use as spares and test devices. I do daily automated OMV system drive backups with dd and keep a weeks worth of them. Every 60 days or so I restore the most recent daily backup to one of the spare SSDs and boot it up to make sure the backups are working properly.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!