Transmission openvpn in docker

• Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup transmission openvpn in docker. To do so, I followed this tutorial on youtube from technodad:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

I realised that - strictly applied - that would not work since download would occur on the SSD where my system is located.

The issue I have is that - due to my relative inexperience - I do not manage to point the container to the correct volume as regards data (volume and binder tab). I have 2 raids and a SSD for OMV itself. When I refer to /dev/md0 (the raid I am interested in for transmission), I get something along these lines:

docker: starting container process caused not a directory\\\"\"": unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type omv

The Raids do not appear either from the GUI.

Sorry if this question looks rather dumb to most of you but I am really stuck; so if someone could help me, that would be very much appreciated (and I am sure I would learn something new ).

Thank you

• Yup, I had an error message from the site when I first posted. So I did it a second time and realized afterwards that the first post went through nevertheless.

I deleted one of them anyway - thanks.

I hope that one of you can answer my question. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

• Hello, so I indeed was doing it wrong. I was looking for them in /dev or in /media, and finally realised that what I was looking for was in /srv .... Sorry for the trouble.

It is now working but I have an other issue: when the container is running, I cannot access my server via openvpn. If I stopped the container, openvpn access is working again. Is that normal ? Is there a way to fix this (for example, run openvpn in a container rather than using the OMV plugin) ?

Many thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH I can't help you if you don't help me, I asked you a specific question concerning your comment "The Raids do not appear in from the GUI" this means that you cannot create shared folders, unless you are doing them via the command line or ftp.

Using /srv is incorrect as you would know watching the video, there is something fundamentally wrong with either your installation or setup, you need to sort that first before doing anything else.

• Same as https://www.latelierdugeek.fr/…-le-hp-microserver-gen-8/ (sorry it is in French). So HP proliant gen 8, in which I added a ssd for the filesystem and I have 4 HDD which are in RAID1.

Sorry if this sentence is confusing to you. I can set up a sharefolder without any issue in the GUI. I think you isolated this sentence from the context. What I meant by that is that I could not find my RAIDS in the GUI of docker (not in the global GUI). I found the path in SRV. What is wrong with that folder ?

I read the following:

srv
    Srv is a serve folder. It holds site specific data to be served by the system for protocols such as, ftp, rsync, www, cvs etc.

It looks like what a NAS is supposed to be doing, no ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry if this sentence is confusing to you. I can set up a sharefolder without any issue in the GUI. I think you isolated this sentence from the context. What I meant by that is that I could not find my RAIDS in the GUI of docker (not in the global GUI). I found the path in SRV. What is wrong with that folder ?

You do not need to access your Raid for Docker!! You need to create the shared folders, these are then located in /sharedfolders Technodadlife does not use nor reference /srv in any of his videos,

Create a shared folder called AppData on your Raid using the GUI, then you add that as a Samba share, then follow the video -> so under AppData you would probably create a folder named Transmission with subsequent folders under the Transmission folder.

You do not need to point, reference anything to that /srv folder, create shared folders.

I read the following:
    srv
    Srv is a serve folder. It holds site specific data to be served by the system for protocols such as, ftp, rsync, www, cvs etc.

Please don't read unless you fully understand it you're better off asking, and does that above mention anything about Docker? What do you understand by that? does it say anything user related.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same as latelierdugeek.fr/2016/02/22/i…-le-hp-microserver-gen-8/ (sorry it is in French).

That article is interesting because at no point does it tell you the set the sata controller to use AHCI unlike this site whilst this references Ubuntu the principle is the same -> I have an N54L Gen7 and my sata controller is set to AHCI, which allows me to use that 5th port with a single hard drive, which also allows me to use a quality USB to boot from.

• Yes, I read that one also when installing and did that anyway.

I'll think about what you wrote, but reading is a way to learn. So please keep your rhetoric for yourself and I'll do my best to learn from my mistakes.

Cheers anyway

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll do my best to learn from my mistakes.

Well good luck with that.

Rhetoric: is the art of using language to convince or persuade.

If you thought I was being offensive that's your perspective, the videos are created and tested by a member of the forum, if he says do x it doesn't mean you do y.

<EOF>

• "Rhetoric: is the art of using language to convince or persuade." ==> funny that you checked / copy-pasted wikipedia :o) Please do not read this unless you understand it.

<EOF>

So I checked again and my share folders are properly set. I just do not have a direct access to them in /sharedfolders as in the videos and I cannot explain it. I do not believe anyway it has anything to do with openVPN not working at the same time as transmission-VPN. The rest of the set up is working properly.

If anyone has an idea, please shout.

• Offizieller Beitrag

funny that you checked / copy-pasted wikipedia :o) Please do not read this unless you understand it.

First off I'm English! I don't need to google my own language.

I just do not have a direct access to them in /sharedfolders as in the videos and I cannot explain it. I do not believe anyway it has anything to do with openVPN not working at the same time as transmission-VPN. The rest of the set up is working properly.

Then you have a problem somewhere within your set up if you cannot see or access them when setting Volume and Bind mounts within the Docker plugin.
    So in simple plain English you should not use /srv as the Bind mount within the container.

I do not believe anyway it has anything to do with openVPN not working at the same time as transmission-VPN.

You know that how?

EDIT:

It is now working but I have an other issue: when the container is running, I cannot access my server via openvpn. If I stopped the container, openvpn access is working again. Is that normal ?

Yes, why? because you probably only have a single user vpn connection, so when transmission is running with the vpn, openvpn stops, stop transmission the openvpn works -> simples :)

• Thank you - that's helpful :)

To start with the first issue then, how can I set/view the mount point of my sharedfolders ?

I do not know if this is correct as they discuss the mount point of a drive but after looking at this: how to modify OMV mount point and add shared folders?, I checked the value of OMV_MOUNT_DIR in /etc/default/openmediavault and it is currently /srv. Is there something to tweak there ?

Or should I rather look in fstab ? Fstab currently reads:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do not know if this is correct as they discuss the mount point of a drive but after looking at this: how to modify OMV mount point and add shared folders?, I checked the value of OMV_MOUNT_DIR in /etc/default/openmediavault and it is currently /srv.

That's correct, but I don't know full workings of OMV, but there is a 'bind mount' (I think it's referred to) to /sharedfolders.

So you create a share on one your Raids that share then appears under /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-homenas-Volume1 that is mine as reference, that then points to or is bound/linked to here /sharedfolders it's like a redirect, if you want I can post some images.

Footnote: As it's Saturday I shall be in and out throughout the day!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Gotcha. So what is missing in my case is the redirect. I will dig into this.

Sure, enjoy your weekend :)

Don't dig please :) if you do ls / it will show the list of directories under root, this is mine

Code
    ls /
    bin   etc     initrd.img      lib64       mnt          proc         run            srv  usr      vmlinuz.old
    boot  export  initrd.img.old  lost+found  nonexistent  Release.key  sbin           sys  var
    dev   home    lib             media       opt          root         sharedfolders  tmp  vmlinuz

not pretty but /sharedfolders is there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me, sharedfolders was not there and I created it when I was following the tutorials. Still my shared folders do not show there. So what I need to find is a way to get that redirect going on.

So your directory listing is not the same as mine? If not you'll need the help of @ryecoaaron or @macom to correct it I have tagged them so hopefully one of them will respond.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which version of OMV are you using?

/sharedfolders has been introduced with OMV4, so it is not available on OMV3.
    If you upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 the folder "/sharedfolders" will be created as soon as you create a new share (AFAIK). So if you upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 and you do not have the folder, just create a new shared folder in the GUI of OMV. After that all shared folders will be linked in "/sharedfolders".

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!