Unable to mount HFS/HFS+ in OMV 4.1.7 for Pine64

    • OMV 4.x
    • Unable to mount HFS/HFS+ in OMV 4.1.7 for Pine64

      Basically this. I've done apt-get install hfsplus hfsutils hfsprogs and even cat /proc/filesystems.
      The HFSPLUS system is still unknown type.
      the /proc/filesystems does not list HFS/+ in it.
      Is there any way to get these FS to mount as I'd like to use it for an incremental TimeMachine backup.
    • flinkazoid wrote:

      Basically this. I've done apt-get install hfsplus hfsutils hfsprogs and even cat /proc/filesystems.
      The HFSPLUS system is still unknown type.
      the /proc/filesystems does not list HFS/+ in it.
      Is there any way to get these FS to mount as I'd like to use it for an incremental TimeMachine backup.
      I would guess HFS isn't enabled in the kernel. grep ^CONFIG_HFS /boot/config-* will tell you if it is. If not, you would have to compile a new kernel to enable it.
      omv 4.1.17 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • ryecoaaron wrote:

      flinkazoid wrote:

      Basically this. I've done apt-get install hfsplus hfsutils hfsprogs and even cat /proc/filesystems.
      The HFSPLUS system is still unknown type.
      the /proc/filesystems does not list HFS/+ in it.
      Is there any way to get these FS to mount as I'd like to use it for an incremental TimeMachine backup.
      I would guess HFS isn't enabled in the kernel. grep ^CONFIG_HFS /boot/config-* will tell you if it is. If not, you would have to compile a new kernel to enable it.
      Yeah, that returns nothing. Any advise on how to go about this process? Im 100% new to the Linux thing.

      Its worth noting that I was running your image originally, but am now getting started on the debian level.

      My other machine is an UBUNTU device. Is there any way to run OMV on UBUNTU? Its standard with HFS support.
    • flinkazoid wrote:

      Any advise on how to go about this process? Im 100% new to the Linux thing.
      Compiling a kernel is not something someone new to Linux wants to start doing.

      flinkazoid wrote:

      Its worth noting that I was running your image originally, but am now getting started on the debian level.
      The image is Debian built with Armbian scripts. Not sure what you mean.

      flinkazoid wrote:

      My other machine is an UBUNTU device. Is there any way to run OMV on UBUNTU? Its standard with HFS support.
      Nope. The fact that it is Ubuntu isn't the reason it has HFS support. Any kernel can have HFS support. It just happens that the armbian devs didn't enable it.

      I don't use timemachine but I'm not sure why the filesystem matters?
      omv 4.1.17 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

      Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • flinkazoid wrote:

      Is there any way to get these FS to mount as I'd like to use it for an incremental TimeMachine backup
      Wrong approach. You don't need HFS+ support but POSIX compliance so simply choose between ext4 and btrfs for your data share.

      Netatalk will then share this filesystem via AFP (implementing the FPzzz and the needed sync calls) and OS X will then create a HFS+ sparsebundle on the network share (here the HFS+ semantics live).

      HFS+ support in Linux is more or less broken anyway but fortunately not needed with this use case. In general it's a very bad idea to move a disk that was connected to a client directly to an OMV host (regardless whether it's HFS+ and OS X or FAT32/ExFAT/NTFS and Windows).
    • Users Online 1

      1 Guest