Trying to swap drives in RAID1 but RAID is missing

• Hey guys, I'm considering moving to OMV as my DS211j is getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm trying to test out RAID management in OMV, as it was super simple on my Synology, and right out of the gate things are a bit concerning:

I built a RAID 1 mirror across 2 disks (a 2TB and 1TB). This went fine. Then I wanted to try "simulating" an HDD failure by removing the 1 TB drive. Then ultimately I wanted to test recovering the RAID with another 2 TB and test if the RAID automatically grew from 1 TB to 2 TB. Right away things are a bit troublesome, because as soon as I removed the 1 TB drive, the whole RAID is missing (even though the 2 TB drive is still there). How can I recover a RAID if OMV can't find the RAID? I'm a bit disappointed that HDD failures appear to be this troublesome, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Code
    root@overlord:~# cat /proc/mdstat                                                                                                                                                             
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]                                                                                                         
    md0 : inactive sdb[0](S)                                                                                                                                                                      
          1953383512 blocks super 1.2                                                                                                                                                             

unused devices: <none>
    Code
    root@overlord:~# blkid                                                                                                                                                                        
    /dev/sdb: UUID="815bd3c7-4d40-f329-de69-3fa5ba7da76e" UUID_SUB="0693a8f6-abcc-3281-9f40-901a87cf9d17" LABEL="overlord:0" TYPE="linux_raid_member"                                             
    /dev/sda1: UUID="bd7d8f6a-a330-4b98-8041-9bbf1d361544" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0481b79f-01"                                                                                                     
    /dev/sda5: UUID="7e27c80f-e717-4816-81ee-e0151793574e" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="0481b79f-05"
    Code
    root@overlord:~# fdisk -l | grep "Disk "                                                                                                                                                      
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1.8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors                                                                                                                               
    Disk /dev/sda: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors                                                                                                                               
    Disk identifier: 0x0481b79f
    Code
    root@overlord:~# mdadm --detail --scan --verbose                                                                                                                                              
    INACTIVE-ARRAY /dev/md0 num-devices=1 metadata=1.2 name=overlord:0 UUID=815bd3c7:4d40f329:de693fa5:ba7da76e                                                                                   
       devices=/dev/sdb

Any help is appreciated!

• After scouring the forums, it looks like this could be the same issue as this one: "Missing" RAID filesystem

Some more relevant details: I plugged the 1 TB drive back in, and the RAID showed up again just fine. Then I tried unplugging the 2 TB drive this time, and when OMV booted up the RAID was missing once again. So it seems it happens regardless of the hard drive. If its relevant, I've included HDD device data of both drives below:

1 TB drive:

2 TB drive:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Then I wanted to try "simulating" an HDD failure by removing the 1 TB drive.

What you are trying simply doesn't work, the Raid appears as inactive pulling a drive is not the same as a drive failing. There is a long thread here whilst this refers to a Raid 5 the principles are the same.

EDIT Footnote:

Then ultimately I wanted to test recovering the RAID with another 2 TB and test if the RAID automatically grew from 1 TB to 2 TB

That won't work either, your first Raid test is governed by the 1TB drive, changing that drive will do nothing as the data will need to sync with the 2TB in there, once that's done then you can grow/expand the Raid's size. BTW none of this in done in the GUI it's all command line.

• @geaves Thank you for your reply. I read the forum post you linked and it seems that's the same issue I'm having.

Perhaps I should come at this from a different angle. As I mentioned, I'm doing all this to replace an old Synology DS211j. I actually recently purchased a DS218+ and have setup a dockerized Plex Media Server with Sonarr/Radarr/Deluge etc, but the DS218+ struggles a bit with CPU at times (understandably). I'm a software engineer so I'm comfortable w/ the Linux command line, so I thought I'd repurpose an old PC to a NAS instead of using an underpowered Synology device.

I'm using RAID1 for redundancy (I'm scared to use the word "backup" and "RAID" in the same sentence on this forum). However, I can see that RAID doesn't get a lot of love here. I guess what I'm really looking for is whatever solution is the fastest, most reliable and easiest way to recover my data in the event of a catastrophic hardware failure. I'm mostly concerned about HDD failures since they're the most common, but since I'm running on older hardware it would be great to also have a solution that worked to recover the raid in another system entirely (in the case of a MB failure). I've had HDDs fail in my Synology, and it was as simple as swapping out drives and clicking 2 buttons to recover (and resize) the RAID.

So, a question to the experts of this forum: Am I barking up the wrong tree with RAID1? I've thought about ditching RAID1 and just having 2 mounted drives and doing an hourly (or daily) rsync between them. I could even run my applications from a symbolic link to the "primary" mounted drive and have the rsync also use the symbolic links, so in the case of a failure it was be as simple as mounting and formatting a new drive and updating the symbolic links. Or, should I just learn the handful mdadm commands that are required to administrate a RAID in OMV?

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

• Offizieller Beitrag

@cghill It's not that Raid doesn't have a lot of love it's just there are simpler ways to do things, when it comes to this use the KISS format :D

However, you need @flmaxey quick tag and he'll come and look he's good at recycling :D , but look at this

• Thank you again @geaves, that was another great thread. After reading it I'm leaning a bit toward ditching RAID1 and instead having 2 mounted drives with an rsync running regularly to keep the redundant drive synced to the primary. But I still have a couple questions I was hoping you or @flmaxey (or anybody else) could answer.

So it seems the general process for setting up OMV is: Disks -> File Systems -> Shared Folder -> SMB Share. So, let's anticipate a failure and recovery process on both drives.

Redundant drive: A failure on the redundant drive is simple. You replace the drive, reformat the disk, mount the new filesystem and let rsync do its thing.

Primary: This is more complex since there is already existing infrastructure with dependencies on the failed drive. Obviously its the same process to replace the drive and reformat, but what do we do about the Shared Folder and SMB shares? Do I have to recreate everything or is it possible to tell OMV that the existing Shared Folders are now in a different location (different drive, same data)?

I guess the root of my question is this: If I'm going down the 2 volume w/ rsync route, at what point does OMV get in the way a bit? If I were doing this in base Linux I would just create symbolic links for both drives (named primary and redundant or something). Everything (including the SMB shares) would use those symbolic links. Then if the primary drive failed, I would just update the "primary" symbolic link to point to the redundant drive, and point the redundant symbolic link at a newly formatted drive as soon as its ready. Done. No reconfiguring things in a web console.

It seems OMV is sitting somewhere in the middle between a base Linux server and Synology NAS. Its much more customizable than Synology (and not tied to their proprietary hardware) but doesn't have the same ease of use (plug and play RAID1). Now that I'm moving more towards the "separate drives mirrored w/ rsync" approach I'm wondering what benefits OMV offers over a normal Linux server. From my example above with symbolic links, it seems OMV might actually get in the way a bit by requiring you to do things the "OMV way". I know OMV is growing in popularity and usage so I'm hoping some more experienced/advanced OMV users can chime in on things that OMV offers that I might be overlooking.

Thank again for any and all feedback.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So it seems the general process for setting up OMV is: Disks -> File Systems -> Shared Folder -> SMB Share.

Ref: the -> New Users Guide for setup details.

Obviously its the same process to replace the drive and reformat, but what do we do about the Shared Folder and SMB shares?

You have two options here. You can simply delete the references to the old drive (this thread may help you with how to do that) but that means recreating shared folders and SMB shares, after recovering from backup.

The easiest and fasted approach is to re-point the shares from the dead drive, to a local rsycn'ed backup up. How to do that is the User Guide, beginning on page 63. Once the re-point is done, services layered onto shared folders (like SMB) will follow them to the new drive.

I guess the root of my question is this: If I'm going down the 2 volume w/ rsync route, at what point does OMV get in the way a bit?

I could ask a counter question. Is there a distro or NAS, that you know of, that's makes recovery from a failed drive easier than it is with OMV? If you know of one, and can provide a fair comparison, I'm interested.

It seems OMV is sitting somewhere in the middle between a base Linux server and Synology NAS.

OMV is a base Linux server, that has been made easier to use with a GUI. The same is true of a Synology NAS. It's the approach that's different.

It seems OMV is sitting somewhere in the middle between a base Linux server and Synology NAS. Its much more customizable than Synology (and not tied to their proprietary hardware) but doesn't have the same ease of use (plug and play RAID1)

This is where I take exception to the touted "ease of use" of commercial products and that they're somehow better "supported".

As for the ease of use:
    Any product that puts a beginner in a RAID1 scenario, under the guise that their data is somehow being "protected", is doing a (potentially) grave disservice to that user. While beginners seem to think that RAID is somehow "sexy" or "exotic", what it boils down to is, RAID (of any kind) is not backup. Adding to that, there is no plausible reason to use mdadm (software) or hardware RAID1 at home. (And I believe most of the experienced users on this forum would agree with that.)
    There are very few scenarios where RAID1 would save the data store. On the other hand, there are innumerable possible scenarios where all would be lost. As an example, if a RAID1 drive fails slowly (which is more likely that an instant failure), the effects of corruption are instantly replicated to the second drive. There's not even the possibility of being able to intercede before data is lost. So, I'd ask you, how is making RAID1 "easy to use", in the user's best interest? It's just a selling point for the unsuspecting, nothing more, nothing less.

Better support:
    In this forum thread alone, you've received more direct feedback than you'd ever get from Synology. Adding on the resources available in OMV's doc's, the User Guide, @TechnoDadLife 's videos, @flvinny521 's Docker How-To's, and the rest of the materials on the Guides Page, well,, I'd stack the sum of that up against any commercial product or any of the other free distro's as well.

• Wow, thank you @flmaxey for the very informative response as well as all the resources you linked. You make a very strong case for OMV and I think I will give it a try so I can sunset my DS211j. Thank you as well @geaves for helping me sort through some of my thoughts and questions. The forum support here is fantastic!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will give it a try so I can sunset my DS211j

If you're happy with OMV, and I believe you will be, don't strip the drives out of the DS211j and just "pitch" it. There's nothing like a second device for platform independent backup and, since it's already paid for, using the DS211j as a backup device might make sense for your use case.

Utilizing "Remote Mount", which is another OMV plugin, it's possible to mount a DS211j network share as if it's a local hard drive in OMV. That would allow you to do an Rsync "push", to replicate your data store to the DS211, and it can be fully automated. How to set something like this up will be added to the User's Guide in the next few months. (BTW, you can use the same technique to "pull" data off the Synology.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!