Unable to access RAID Intermitently

• Hi

Please forgive me if I am missing any info as this is my first thread.

I am having intermitent issues accessing files & folders on my RAID drive from Windows Computers (Mapped Network Drives). The problem has been present since the first install of OMV

Intermitently when im trying to access the RAID using windows explorer it unresponsive and gives the impression that it is in standby or spundown (dont know of this is possible) and im unable to access the drive. If I open OMV web GUI or open Plex web client GUI or even open the plex app on my iphone I can hear activity from the RAID and gain access to files and folders without any problems. Any hard drives that are seperate from the RAID dont seem to be causing an issue. The RAID is made up of 8 x 3TB WD Red's set up in RAID 5

Please could any one let me know if they have had the issue before or even if you think it could be a hardware of software issue??

Many Thanks..

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is like trying to find the proverbial needle in a haystack;

Network: Ethernet Cable, Switch, NIC in server, Nic in Windows machine, Ethernet/Wireless on Windows machine, if you are using your router's Ethernet Ports (router's Ethernet Ports are in effect a hub -> PITA)

OMV: drive spin down/suspend, WOL, Smart errors, potential drive/s failure will cause a raid to slow down, I believe sequential drive serial numbers can present a problem.

The list becomes endless you just have to work through it.

• Thanks for replying.

The fault has been present since I made the following changes, which were both made at the same time:
    1 - Installation of OMV (was using Xpenology), changed to OMV because of the hardware restrictions with Xpenology
    2 - Installation of Syba SI-PEX40071 SATA III 8 Port PCI-E 2.0 Controller Card,Green (was using a Syba 4 port version on Xpenology)

I am pretty confident that the fault lies in one of those two areas. I am tempted to retry the system with the 4 port card, but im worried about destroying the RAID. Everything is backed up its just the time it takes.

Before I carry out that step is there any way I can stop the drives spinning down for the RAID?

Ive had success with stopping spindown on the non-RAID drives that are installed using hdparm, but when i looked I was unable to change the drives that made up the RAID.

Many thanks again...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think the issue is related to OMV, unless there are driver issues within the kernel -> I found this which could well point to the card being the issue.

To check the drive spindown, Disks -> Select a drive -> Edit and ensure everything is disabled.

• Thanks for replying so quickly.

Ive checked every drive on the RAID and it is showing in the attached image.

Looks like I will be testing with the previous card.

One last thing. Is there anything 8-Port or more that is guaranteed to work with OMV? As if I can get it sorted im looking to expand the RAID to 10 drives

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ive checked every drive on the RAID and it is showing in the attached image.

That's fine if everything is disabled.

One last thing. Is there anything 8-Port or more that is guaranteed to work with OMV?

It's Linux in general nothing to with OMV, your best option is to search unless someone on here can make a suggestion, this might help fully identify that card.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!