Moved to OMV

• I´ve been using different NAS devices over the last years (mostly Qnap, some WD) but got more and more disappointed by the way most manufacturers dealt with stability (too less), features (too much), security (sometimes completely absent) or privacy (mostly completely absent). So it was about time to give OMV another try, i´ve been using it around the 0.5 days for some months, but there were hugh improvements over time.

As i only need 2 harddrives and basic file services plus DLNA-serving, I decided to go for small, low-cost, low-power solution. The hardware (disks were already there) consists of a Mini-ITX-board with AMD DualCore-SoC, 4 GB RAM and a small LC-Power-Case - the costs and size is similar to a an entry-level 2-bay-NAS.

OMV is installed on an usb stick - hail to the flashdrive-plugin. :thumbup: I really appreciate the separation of os and data, this simplifies migration and reduces complexity in case of desaster. That´s what i prefer for private use - KISS. Todays retail NASes add plenty of complexity by the vast amount of features packed in - regardless if needed or (mostly) not. I wanted to get rid of this overhead.

The new box is running for a few days now and does pretty fine. The backups of my webserver including MySQL dumps are done by schedule now - a task that my previous nas box could not fullfill out of the box.

I´m pretty happy with my decision to leave retail nas behind me. 8)
    A donation for the omv dev and the plugin community is on the way - you really deserve the credit. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any pics of the setup? :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!