Odroid HC2 ... or something else ... RockPro64 ,,,

• After my old QNap with OMV 3 overcome its lifecycle i am looking for a small installation for a backup system with one Harddisk, running OMV 4/5 and simply rsync'ing my home-nas providing the backup via nfs/cifs.

I think I do not have high demands, looked for a Odroid HC2 while having a ironwolf 8TB Harddisk at hand. But in Germany it seems to be sold so I need alternatives ... what else Setup seems to be suiteable? Looked for RockPro64 but dont know if attaching Sata Drives Via USB3 is good / performant. Is a external usb-drive the same as direct attached sata3-drive in the HC2-Setup? ... What do I have to buy to run it 24/7 and where? Is there something else leke the HC2, while i like the dedicated straight design ...

Micha

Q29000-ITX
    omv 4.1.8.2 | 64 bit | backport kernel | omvextras

• Is a external usb-drive the same as direct attached sata3-drive in the HC2-Setup?

Of course as long as

• you use a good USB to SATA bridge (JMS578 for example)
    • you don't run into cabling/contact issues (a very 'popular' problem with USB3-A receptacles)

If it's about spinning rust the used USB to SATA bridge doesn't matter that much anyway...

• Switched over to the Pine64 Website .... they got a nice NAS-Case, Cabeling, AC-Supply, PCIe

I think i'll give RockPRO a chance, is it possible to install the System on the eMMC-Module?

Q29000-ITX

• I think i'll give RockPRO a chance, is it possible to install the System on the eMMC-Module?

Sure. But this is as useless as using a RockPro64 for the job in the first place. It just costs a lot more money and wastes more energy for nothing if you're still talking about a use case called 'attaching one HDD to something and accessing it through GbE' for backup.

The cheapest A1 rated SD card will do the job as well and you really don't need a PCIe SATA controller since GbE will be the bottleneck anyway.

For your use case the HC2 is still the best option (and should be back in stock in early 2019 if I understood Pollin.de correctly).

• For your use case the HC2 is still the best option (and should be back in stock in early 2019 if I understood Pollin.de correctly).

Thank you for this clear message, but ...

Pollin drove me crazy. On their Website the HC2 seemed to be on stock. After complainig they told me the HC2 will be in stock sometimes (!!!!), they was not so clear with the date. http://www.antratek.de moan about 3 Weeks ... maybe ...

Think I tend to rockpro64, is there a complaint about using intern SATA-Card instead an external USB-Cabeling?

Q29000-ITX

• is there a complaint about using intern SATA-Card instead an external USB-Cabeling?

Nope. Internal SATA will be more reliable by design as already said (USB3-A receptacles are fragile crap in my opinion and at least I had no luck with the USB-C connector on any of my RK3399 boards so far but that's most probably related to me having bought cables too cheap).

From a performance point of view there will be no difference with HDDs, see the comparison here (same setup, also RK3399 with single lane attached ASM1061 PCIe SATA controller): https://forum.armbian.com/topi…findComment&comment=49404

• Much to read ... ufff

After all I am not so wrong with a RockPro64 with housing and internal SATA, even its lacking the SBC charme ... ;-))

(As i got diffrent proposals here ...)

My approach

ROCKPro64 4GB SingleBoard Computer
    ROCKPro64 30mm TallProfile Heatsink

ROCKPro64 MetalDesktop/NAS Casing
    ROCKPro64 12V 5A EUPOWER SUPPLY

ROCKPro64 PCI-e toDual SATA-II Interface Card
    Fan for ROCKPro64Metal Desktop/NAS casing

Q29000-ITX

• So you get something that even wastes energy just for annoying noise? ;)

Anyway: once you add up all the costs and add both customs and VAT you end up with something twice that expensive as an ODROID-HC2 without having any more benefits as long as it's really just the 'backup NAS' use case :)

BTW: PSUs are highly inefficient in low load situations so be prepared that your 60W PSU alone transforms some energy into heat for no reason other than being an oversized PSU for a single disk setup...

• as long as it's really just the 'backup NAS' use case

(1) You got me ;)

other than being an oversized PSU for a single disk setup..

PSU ? ... I have maybe 20-30 of these power supplies in my cave , even a hc2 would have one, don't get your point! And if I use a SBC and a external HD I would have one too

And ... after all ... in my approach I can add a second drive if needed. though it is a good replacement for my NAS with OMV

(To be honest, i got your point .. see (1))

Q29000-ITX

• PSU ? ... I have maybe 20-30 of these power supplies in my cave , even a hc2 would have one, don't get your point!

My whole point was that using on 'oversized' PSU wastes energy for nothing. PSUs get really inefficient in the 'below 20% load' range, that's below 12W with the 12V/5A PSU you mentioned. Such a RockPro64 with one 3.5" spinner will idle at below 8W (with appropriate settings and a disk with very low idle consumption even below 5W).

So using a 12V/2.5A PSU (2A peak consumption for each 3.5" HDD needed) should be a better idea when you're using just one disk.

• Oggl, oggl ?( ... I understand maybe 33,79 % of your Text ... is your only point, that i've chosen the wrong power unit? Pls, be so kind show me the right one! No sarkassm, im not an
    Electrical engineer! Or is it consuming 0,1 watts too much? But in my expirience is a little bigger "Netzteil" a good choice when using a harddisk, may be wrong ... especially when you see what I used before ...

Q29000-ITX

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mipi ()

• Yes. It is good. No problem saturating the GbE in sequential transfers. Specs say 300 MB/s.

Well I don't mind the speed that much but reliability and complaince with SATA protocoll. :)

In the past these bridges sometimes droped some bytes and had strange SATA errors. For a reliable NAS Backup sollution this is vital!

• Well I don't mind the speed that much but reliability and complaince with SATA protocoll. :)
    In the past these bridges sometimes droped some bytes and had strange SATA errors. For a reliable NAS Backup sollution this is vital!

I did not personally notice any problems with SATA-USB3 in HC1 / 2. The bridge is based on JMS578 which has rather good reviews.
    I pushed a lot of GB through 578 and I did not see any errors ...

• Specs say 300 MB/s.

Reality with JMS578 and sufficient block sizes is ~400 MB/s (slightly faster than those el cheapo single lane attached PCIe SATA controllers like ASM1061). And most importantly JMS578 supports UAS and also SAT:

Only downside with Hardkernel's JMS578 usage is firmware hassles wrt disk sleep.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!