How to backup and restore OMV configuration ? BMR Plan - howto?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're looking for an easy way to backup and restore a boot drive, take a look at this -> guide.

If you're willing to boot from a USB thumbdrive (they work fine in most use cases), cloning the drive and restoring is dirt simple.
    The same process will work for USB connect SSD's as well. (Of reasonable size)

• Yes, cloning my USB would be easy. But I want to put my original SSD back in (that had a broken OMV on it). Also, the SSD is larger and I don't want to put the small image of the USB onto the SSD. Finally, I want to try to do it with the GUI since I now found out about the options to remoteley start the OMV to a live ISO.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, cloning my USB would be easy. But I want to put my original SSD back in (that had a broken OMV on it).

You could clone the usb to the ssd then use gparted to extend the partition, I use usb and extended the partition, now I just clone like for like.

• Hi, i'm interesting in cloning guide, but the link is not working... There is a new link to that guide?

• Hi,

in fact currently I'm searching half of the functionality requested:

I search an option to backup my OMV settings, but less for restoring them. It's more for having them available (e.g. as txt or pdf) for a easy restore in case of new installation.

Reason: it happens that I make a new installation from scratch. especially if there is a major update, either from Debian or from OMV. Or I set up a similiar system for a friend. And then I would like to have an overview of the settings I've done just as an guideline to not forget anything.

In fact, for me it would be sufficient to have a file containing the settings performed in the Web-UI

Does something exist? Or are the settings distributed among a lot of different files and folders?

• You can keep a copy of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml for reference.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Why is nowhere to be found a guide on how to restore a backup?

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Technodad is really good for most things OMV. As a noob myself I have been learning from him and DBTech

• thats all well and good if you have a disk drive that is the exact same size as the one you are backing up, but what if you are having to use a smaller drive?

all people want is the ability to just backup the OMV config and restore to a fresh install. why has this been such a glaring omission from this platform since its inception?

• Offizieller Beitrag

why has this been such a glaring omission from this platform since its inception?

Backing up the entire OS is dirt simple, if you use USB thumbdrives to boot. They're low cost and it's easy enough to get two identical drives for backing up.

The rational for using a thumbdrive is -> here and a method of backup is explained, with a walk through -> here.

• yes, i get that, and if your drive you are restoring to is the EXACT same size as the drive you took the image from , then great. convoluted and longwinded, but sure, it works.

but if your drive differs (ie smaller in any way) then you're in for a world of pain.

it just seems overkill having to image the entire drive, when really a bunch of config files to get OMV back to the same way as before is all is really needed.

• it just seems overkill having to image the entire drive, when really a bunch of config files to get OMV back to the same way as before is all is really needed.

This is not the way it works.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

yes, i get that, and if your drive you are restoring to is the EXACT same size as the drive you took the image from , then great. convoluted and longwinded, but sure, it works.

but if your drive differs (ie smaller in any way) then you're in for a world of pain.

it just seems overkill having to image the entire drive, when really a bunch of config files to get OMV back to the same way as before is all is really needed.

It is not so easy to backup and restore the configuration. OMV installs on very different platforms.

A 16GB memory can cost around 5 euros right now, maybe less. It does not seem like an insurmountable cost comparing the price of the hard drives that we all have in the NAS.

If you use a 16GB memory the copy does not take too long. Then you compress it in a zip and it will not occupy more than 5 or 6GB. Does it seem exaggerated?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it seems that simple then, please, write the plugin. Here's a reality check - it's not that simple. OMV is more than a collection of "config files".

As I've said before, if you switch to a pair of USB3 thumbdrives (as chente suggested, 16 Gb is preferred), you'll save a SATA slot for a data drive and be able to easily backup your entire OS. Recovery would be a matter of inserting the backup and booting, about 3 minutes.

• Backing up the entire OS is dirt simple, if you use USB thumbdrives to boot. They're low cost and it's easy enough to get two identical drives for backing up.

The rational for using a thumbdrive is -> here and a method of backup is explained, with a walk through -> here.

I'm thinking about redoing my setup of OMV to a flash drive for these reasons (currently it's on a SSD). I wonder how much slower a USB 2.0 drive will be than a USB 3.0 drive? The system has USB 3.0. So I guess a USB 3 drive should boot faster. But after boot, most everything get loaded to RAM, right?

My system is not booted/rebooted often...so I'm not sure if a few seconds boot difference is a big deal. But Votdev did mention that USB 3.0 drives (generally speaking) do have newer/better controllers.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple dirt cheap USB 2.0 flash drives, and just wanted to make sure I shouldn't spend the extra on USB 3.0 drives instead...

Thoughts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm about to pull the trigger on a couple dirt cheap USB 2.0 flash drives, and just wanted to make sure I shouldn't spend the extra on USB 3.0 drives instead...

You will only notice a difference at startup, then the important parts of the system are loaded into RAM. remember to use the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

Look at this thread, there are USB purchase recommendations. SSD or USB Key?

• Offizieller Beitrag

My system is not booted/rebooted often...so I'm not sure if a few seconds boot difference is a big deal. But Votdev did mention that USB 3.0 drives (generally speaking) do have newer/better controllers.

While it's not really needed, I do an automated reboot in the early morning hours, once a week. (Some users never reboot.) If rebooting early in the AM, the time involved in booting is irrelevant.

I would test the thumbdrives, as suggested in the ref's. If you have a matching pair on hand and they pass the test, I wouldn't be afraid of using USB"2" thumbdrives. It's having tested backup that's important. If one fails, you'll be back up in time.

Note, as the reference links indicate, to use a thumbdrive to boot, you'll need to install the -> flashmemory plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have OMV currently on an SSD.. when I rebuild I intend to use a flash drive. As long as you use the flash-memory plugin, you should be fine. I really only want to do this to save a sata port.

Personally (and I'll probably get destroyed here for this opinion..lol).. I live on the edge w/ my OS drive and have never one time made an effort to back it up in 11yrs. All my data is on my data drives. With the exception of one plugin, I've completely migrated to docker for services (I regularly backup my containers folder and my "/config" directories). I've tested my procedure in practice, and I can be from a blank OS disk, to back to all my services being back up and running like nothing has happened, in a little over 30min.

There are some caveats to make sure it goes smoothly (ie, keeping paths for docker consistent no matter what storage drive UUID's I may be using, etc.) and keep it from turning into a train wreck.. but once I got it all figured out.. it is pretty much flawless.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!