Another permissions thread, help a noob set this up properly...

• OK, so here is my setup:

- Windows machine running Plex (Media server) and Sonarr (TV Show server, grabs and manages TV series)
    - OMV machine with a drive that has a single Share setup.

Based on another thread I can no longer find, I had created a user on the OMV setup that is basically a copy on the Windows machine (just the same username and password...). I then mounted the share from the OMV server to a Windows drive using those same user credentials. I initially could not delete files from Plex using the Plex webgui. A member in the Reddit Plex community suggested I chmod -R 777 /path/to/share and also chown -R USER /path/to/share ("USER" being the username I actually created)...

Doing those two commands allowed me to make changes via the mapped drive in Windows Explorer, allowed Plex to delete media from the webgui, and allow Sonarr to move TV episodes to their appropriate folders on the shared folder.

Now, all that above, I admit might not be the right or recommended way to do it. In another thread here I stated I had to go into the ACL settings for the share and put a check mark next to the user I had created in OMV, but that is no longer the case. The problem I am having now though is there is something, seemingly daily, that is resetting those permissions, and I can verify that by the three methods I mentioned above (edits via the mapped drive, Plex deletions, and Sonarr now failing to import episodes). If I go back and do the chmod and chown commands I listed previously, it all works again.

I have a pretty good feeling that the problem is, I am plain and simply doing this incorrectly. I also have a feeling it is another process running at whatever given time that is causing the permissions I am running to break seemingly daily, and just looking to see what the flaw is in my thinking and process to implement this. Am I doing it wrong at the very beginning, but trying to map using a linux user I created in OMV? Thanks in advance.

• I'm thinking of starting from scratch back up to where I re-create the shared folders... If I simply delete the shared folder from the gui, the actual contents of the folder are still there, right? And thus I should have no problem simply recreating the share, using the same name etc?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I simply delete the shared folder from the gui, the actual contents of the folder are still there, right?

When you delete a folder from the GUI you have two options:
    1// delete share only
    2// delete share and data (this is what you do not want).

However, just in case, you should always have a backup of your data :!::!::!:

And thus I should have no problem simply recreating the share, using the same name etc?

Yes. When creating the new shares, you can navigate to the folder on the drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!