Docker error for unknown service

• Howdy, I had a power outage today and the server restart, cannot access docker container web ui's. Docker service and all containers are running. I tried to create a new container as a test and get this error:

Code
    error: unknown service containerd.services.leases.v1.Leases: not implemented"

The output of systemctl status docker is:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Howdy, I had a power outage today and the server restart, cannot access docker container web ui's.

Look at this as a sign - invest in an UPS. (It doesn't have to cost much -> UPS.)

If I need to reinstall docker, what is the recommended method? I can’t find any info on this error shown above.I would start withm uninstalling the docker

I would start with, uninstalling the docker plugin.
    (Reboot)
    Check your upgrade status and install any needed upgrades.
    (Reboot)
    Re-install the Docker plugin.
    Hopefully, your Dockers are still there. If not, pull new images and reinstall.

• Ha. I was planning on buying a ups after I built my server, but I’m moving from Hawaii to the mainland in a few months and am trying to keep the amount of stuff involved in the move to a minimum. I’ll def be picking one up once I’m moved though. I’ll give the uninstall/reinstall a try when I get home from work. It’s just strange that all containers are running with no errors(along with the docker service). The power outage and shut down must have corrupted something with docker. Appreciate your response.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was planning on buying a ups after I built my server, but I’m moving from Hawaii to the mainland in a few months and am trying to keep the amount of stuff involved in the move to a minimum.

As we sort through the variables in life, certain trade-offs must to be made. Perhaps "moving" combined with a "stable (UPS backed) server" is a challenge? :) I can "sympathize". Unfortunately, electronics and operating systems :cursing: are not so sympathetic..??

BTW: "Docker" installs to the host. The Docker "plugin" gives you "visibility" into what's going on in the CLI environment. It is quite possible for the OMV Docker plugin to be on the "fritz" while your Dockers are working just fine. It's also possible that re-installing the Docker plugin will fix the issue and give you back the "lens" into what's going on in the background.

Before you do that, have you backed up your OS, just in case?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried creating a container via the CLI and got the same error. Would the OMV docker plugin have any bearing over that?

This is speculation but I would say "generically" NO. The Docker plugin, for all intents an purposes, is truly a lens into what is happening on the command line. (And as we all know, even with Windows, the graphical stuff is Dev's being kind enough to show us what is going on in the background.)

Still, with solid OS backup in hand (so backing out is possible - if you're doing something mission critical), I'd try to remove and reinstall the Docker Plugin. Installing the plugin does trigger a Docker app install so it's possible that your situation might be fixed.

Thereafter, I'm thinking about an UPS.... :)

• I would start with, uninstalling the docker plugin.(Reboot)
    Check your upgrade status and install any needed upgrades.
    (Reboot)
    Re-install the Docker plugin.
    Hopefully, your Dockers are still there. If not, pull new images and reinstall.

Uninstalled and reinstalled(after reboot) same issues and error persist.

Edit: Also created a new docker directory/shared folder and pointed the new docker install to that. Tried to create a new container, same deal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Choices are narrowing... (An UPS's looks like a great investment at this point.)

("Leases" is in the error message. Usually that's a DHCP function, but Docker has it's own internal IP network and I've never looked that far into it. "Leases not implemented" in the Docker context might mean that Docker has no control over running containers or there's something wrong with the IP stack.)

Docker can be force purged on the command line as follows:

apt-get purge docker-engine

(That should uninstall docker, and clean it out.)

Then go to System, OMVExtras, and click on the Apt Clean button.

Finally, reinstall the plugin in the GUI.

Your containers should still be there but there's no knowing if the command line will fix it.
    And this should be noted as well - something happened in the power outage that has (obviously) corrupted your part of your install. In essence, the Docker issue may only be the first thing to be discovered. And the actual problem might not be related to Docker at all, it might be a dependency.

You may be looking at a rebuild.

• Agreed, I’ll have to pick up a similar model to what you linked from Amazon(no Microcenter here). I’ll try the purge and if all else fails, do a rebuild. Definitely a good chance that more than just docker was affected. I actually don’t mind doing the rebuild, just have to carve out the time(2 week old baby, spare time and sleep are a thing of the past 8| ). It’ll give me an excuse to deploy the new mobo, cpu, and extra ram that I’ve had waiting to be put to use :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

2 week old baby, spare time and sleep are a thing of the past )

Oh man :!: ,,, good luck with that!

Actually, it's not all the bad. Don't get me wrong, now it will seem to be pretty bad, but it gets better later.

• So I ran the apt-get purge docker-engine command and the result was:

Code
    Package 'docker-engine' is not installed, so not removed

The output of systemctl status docker is:

There's an intersting line at the end:

Dec 14 18:38:03 omv dockerd[527]: time="2018-12-14T18:38:03.034111652-10:00" lev
    el=info msg="API listen on /var/run/docker.sock"

I haven't seen that before and I thought the newer update to docker got rid of the docker.sock? Maybe I'm thinking of something else. Idk. Anyhow, the purge command didn't work. I'm stumped.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well , yeah, there are usually several ways to skin the cat but purge should have worked. On the other hand, (again) the Docker problem could be just the most visible symptom of something else that's gone wrong. Do you want find out, down the road, that something else is awry? (Like a file system utility?)

You know for a fact that, after a power outage, Docker is doing odd things. Without knowing precisely why, rebuilding to fix it all (even the issues that are not visible, yet) is the prudent course of action.

Oh, and an UPS wouldn't hurt anything. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm glad it all worked out. (A rebuild can be a lot of work.)

Don't forget to backup your boot drive. When you alter your NAS (change a share or add shares, after a lot of updates, etc.) update your boot drive backup.
    If you're using a USB boot drive, or other external media, this Guide will walk you through the steps of cloning it.
    (Having a boot drive on the outside of the case, is my preference, for the ease cloning. I use thumb-drives to boot.)
    Otherwise, if your drive is internal, OMV has a plugin for backing up the OS.

Merry Christmas

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!