Install OMV5 on Debian 10 (Buster) OMV 5.x (development)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The available omv iso is the only way I’ve managed to install omv5. I didn’t even look if it was stretch or buster based.

aaron@omv5dev:/$ cat /etc/debian_version
    buster/sid

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The .iso works well as a proxmox vm. Have not tested much yet. I was able to connect it to a windows 2012r2 active directory. Using this Script.

Only issue with AD was when I added this to SMB/CIFS extra options.

Code
    client signing = yes
    client use spnego = yes
    kerberos method = secrets and keytab
    password server = mustang.example.com
    realm = EXAMPLE.COM
    security = ads

Saved fine but when I hit the yellow confirm box it throws an error. Ignored it and ran the script anyway. All went well. After a reboot users and groups showed up and the yellow apply worked fine. Not sure what logs may apply to this.

Tried to add my letsencrypt wildcard cert. Imported fine. When I "enable secure connections" the web page is no longer available and I need to go to omv-firstaid to disable SSH/TLS. Again not sure what logs may help.

Thanks for a great upgrade. Will test more or provide info as needed.

• That did the trick, thank you! I reverted to last VM snapshot and now following the procedure as outlined by you over here works flawlessly so far.

I have the same error while trying to log in for first time:

Code
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pam'
    RPC response (service=UserMgmt, method=authUser): {"response":{"authenticated":false,"username":"admin"},"error":null}

This is although I have only the mentioned php-pam_1.0.3-1+deb10u1 module installed and loaded. Here are console dumps:

Any ideas how to proceed?

• Hi! Tried to install OMV5 from scratch to the Debian Buster. System is a bare minimum.
    If it matters, Netgear Stora NAS, Marwell Kirkwood cpu, armel

I have some warnings during installation:

Will it cause problems in the future?

p.s. Why did plugins for armel are not supported in arrakis and usul? Most of it depend on existing Debian packages and don't contain binaries. When I installed it from *.deb, everything worked like a charm. I checked debs for binaries, then installed flashmemory, downloader, resetperms and so on, and didn't receive any problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will it cause problems in the future?

No, they are just warnings.

Why did plugins for armel are not supported in arrakis and usul?

Because I didn't want to compile the binaries for armel since I don't have an armel board nor do I want to use one - too slow. Support for armel really ended early in OMV 3.x.

Most of it depend on existing Debian packages and don't contain binaries. When I installed it from *.deb, everything worked like a charm. I checked debs for binaries, then installed flashmemory, downloader, resetperms and so on, and didn't receive any problems.

While those particular plugins don't require binaries, some of the most popular ones do. I probably won't be updating omv-extras 4.x plugins much anymore. So, if you install manually and they work, you shouldn't have to worry about updates.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• some of the most popular ones do

I checked most of it and didn't find with binaries inside, only dependencys from debian's repositories.
    But nevermind, I am fine with it. Bintray allows conveniently search and download debs, so everything is needed - visit https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul browse or search favorite package, copy link to clipboard, wget it and install with apt.

I was afraid folder2ram contains binaries, but it's just a script ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I checked most of it and didn't find with binaries inside, only dependencys from debian's repositories.

None of the plugins have a binary inside the plugin .deb. The plugin's that need a binary have a dependency on an external package. Snapraid would be a good example of a binary that I build.

Docker has actually made it easier since most of the plugins that had arch-specific binaries have moved to docker.

• The plugin's that need a binary have a dependency on an external package.

Yeah, and those external packages are resolved with system package manager like apt. And apt downloads only packages for your architecture from correct repositories. So every single plugin doesn't depend on architecture and completely safe to install.

Yay, armel has total support! ;)

It's better to activate plugins via web-interface, but even now it's very easy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, and those external packages are resolved with system package manager like apt. And apt downloads only packages for your architecture from correct repositories. So every single plugin doesn't depend on architecture and completely safe to install.

Not necessarily true. It requires the dependency for that architecture to be in a repo. Snapraid is not. Mergerfs is in the debian repos (just noticed) but it is too old to work with the plugin. Other plugins aren't even in the armhf/arm64 repos. So, I guarantee those plugins won't work on armel. There are some plugins that do architecture specific things that haven't been tested on armel either.

Yay, armel has total support!

You seem to be only reading some of the info I am posting. With OMV 5.x, quite a few of the plugins are moving to docker. Very few (if any) will have armel images. Feel free to use it but if something isn't working correctly, I'm not going to support armel.

• Am I the only one with a Chinese logo on the admin web page System - Date & Time in front of it? See screenshot.

Clean install of 5.1.3-1.

Note for the admins:
    Perhaps a good idea to warn on the website that 5.1 is BETA and 4 is not.

I am a new OMV user, I installed blindly 5.1 thinking that was the latest and greatest because of the higher number.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!