pcie video card

• Hi,
    I've been a happy user of OMV for several years now, had my 990fx / sempron 190x2 setup running fine with no video card fitted (removed it once all up and running in basement to reduce power consumption).
    Now since re-installing on new ssd Ive got things sorted again, but soon as I remove the video card from pcie the system will boot making a new video card not found noise, then a minute later the beeps telling me OMV has fired up as usual ( I think), BUT cannot log in with putty by ssh or on the gui. Fit card and all works again.
    I have googled and see that I "should" need a video card to post, but can't work out why it used to work fine. Looked in BIOS can't see anything obvious.
    Can anyone offer advice please?
    I should add that I am far from skilled in this area (which may already be obvious)! :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two types of Mobo's - those with integrated video output and those without a video output. Those without a video output generally (not always) need a video card just to boot.

This is idle speculation but, something about installing the ssd changed operating parameters in BIOS. (There are several BIOS versions out there, all of them different.) While it may be a curiosity item, you have two working choices; go back to your original profile (before the ssd) or leave the video card in. If you leave the card in, without connecting a monitor to it, the power consumption difference will be minimal.

In the bottom line, it's unlikely that anyone here could explain the exact reasons behind the behavior you're observing.
    If you're really curious, perhaps you should post on a forum supported by the maker of the BIOS product. (American MegaTrends for example.)

• Thanks for the reply,
    the weird thing is I was already running omv4 ( upgraded from a way earlier version) on an ssd before with no probs and the board was a headless crypto mining machine in a previous life with no worries there either!
    Anyway did some more googling and have decided I'll have to leave the card in this time as like you say, it's a bit of a niche situation!

• The 990fx chipset has no integrated graphics, so selecting that isn't an optionhere.

What motherboard are you using? Is there a BIOS setting anywhere telling it to ignore errors on boot? Sometimes this is listed as "Halt on error" or similar, and probably in the "Boot" tab of the UEFI.

When I was using an AMD setup for OMV, my Asus M5a97 LE R2.0 booted fine with no GPU (a 970 chipset, but a cut down version of the same architecture as the 990fx and also with no integrated graphics). I needed to specify that it ignore all POST errors, but it booted fine after I pulled the GPU.

Some brands implement POST differently though. I've heard of some some brands that will work fine after detecting an error, but only if you press F1 on a keyboard after you hear the beep code for no Video (I understand some Gigabyte 990fx do this for example). This isn't very helpful though if you have to hit a keyboard key every time you boot.

Just trying to get by

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Markess ()

• Interesting, it is a Gigabyte board, never had this issue before now tho.
    Would try the f1 button trick, but I've just slung it all back down in the basement - so it's case closed now, at least for the time being!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!